Options

Pitching Data - How do you Evaluate?

PZ_OriolesPZ_Orioles Registered Users 19 Posts
So, we have three stats: Arm, Stuff, and Control.

I figure it as this:

Arm - how quickly ball gets to catcher results in how quickly we can react

Stuff - how deceptive the pitches are results in us humans confused as to whether it's a ball or a strike

Control - ***** vs strikes results in how much 'guessing' we need to do as humans.

But importantly..what do you value most? So many pitchers are like 9-1-9 or 8-8-2. Very few are 5-7-6 - meaning they are great in one area and not another.

I'm not sure who or what I should choose when bringing in a pitcher. On one hand, a fast pitch means everyone has to react quicker. But better stuff seems confuse the player more. I almost want low 'control' because with good 'stuff' - hitter has to try and hit everything. I've also noticed (or am I wrong..sometimes a 100mph fast ball doesn't seem as fast as an 85mph fast ball).

So, I may have answered my question to a degree. I feel like if it was just the computer playing the computer, the answer might be different. Or do these ratings affect how the computer calculates your ability to get a hit off of a pitch? I don't seem to see it more difficult to hit off a good pitcher vs. a bad one.

Comments

• Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    I agree with you. I seem to have more trouble hitting off a pitcher that is 9-1-9 then one with higher control. There is a reliever out there (i forget his name) but he is 9-9-9 and I hit him pretty well. Because he throws so many strikes. I figure against human players you get more strikeouts with lower control. The CPU it probably uses that number more and they get more walks on a low control guy then you or I would.