Power or Speed?

JGYankJGYank Registered Users 49 Posts
What do you prefer, power or speed? I think that most people would agree hitting is the most important skill, so what's the second most? I think in this game they're pretty close with a slight edge to power because I feel that speed isn't very valuable from 1-6 but becomes a lot more valuable with a 7-9 rating because that's when a player can start to steal bases well. There really isn't much of a difference between 2 or 3 speed, but there's a bigger difference between 7 and 8 for example because the 8 runner can steal bases at a better rate. You wouldn't steal with a 2 or 3 guy, and the only differences between the 2 and 3 would be you only take an extra few bases on hits, beat out a double play or two, etc. If you have a 9 runner you can steal almost every time so it's really valuable and can take extra bases often. But you still will get thrown out sometimes which is the downside to a speed based player. Once you get to 3 power or so you can start to hit HRs and I prefer good hitters over base runners so I would go with that if I had to choose. If I had to choose between a player with 5 power and 1 speed or 1 power and 5 speed I would take the 5 power player every time. If they had 9 power and 9 speed that would be a tougher decision because of the stolen bases, but I'd probably still go with power.

Comments

• pj423pj423 Registered Users 95 Posts
    Power all day
  • TatimusTatimus Registered Users 40 Posts
    I would rather have David Ortiz in my lineup 7/9/2 rather than Coco Crisp 6/7/9. Both are good hitters with similar batting averages. Crisp rarely gets thrown out when stealing. I have over 200 stolen bases with him but Ortiz hits homers twice as often and I think he made a bigger difference in my lineup.
  • Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    My line up used to be speed based. Reyes, Pagan, Crisp, and Gardner. A base hit would result with the guy stealing second like 90% of the time. So in essence it was like hitting a double. Plus when stealing, a little hit and run and you got something going. As I drafted more and got more power guys, they replaced the speed guys. It felt like station to station baseball at times and I had to second guess going home on a base hit. But in the end, I feel that I am scoring more runs now then before with the speed line up. So I guess I would lean toward power. Now, if they would allow pitch runners in the game, that would definitely add value to the speed guys.
  • KingdinglingKingdingling Registered Users 211 Posts
    JGYank wrote: »
    What do you prefer, power or speed? I think that most people would agree hitting is the most important skill, so what's the second most? I think in this game they're pretty close with a slight edge to power because I feel that speed isn't very valuable from 1-6 but becomes a lot more valuable with a 7-9 rating because that's when a player can start to steal bases well. There really isn't much of a difference between 2 or 3 speed, but there's a bigger difference between 7 and 8 for example because the 8 runner can steal bases at a better rate. You wouldn't steal with a 2 or 3 guy, and the only differences between the 2 and 3 would be you only take an extra few bases on hits, beat out a double play or two, etc. If you have a 9 runner you can steal almost every time so it's really valuable and can take extra bases often. But you still will get thrown out sometimes which is the downside to a speed based player. Once you get to 3 power or so you can start to hit HRs and I prefer good hitters over base runners so I would go with that if I had to choose. If I had to choose between a player with 5 power and 1 speed or 1 power and 5 speed I would take the 5 power player every time. If they had 9 power and 9 speed that would be a tougher decision because of the stolen bases, but I'd probably still go with power.

Power is the way to go...........
  • Erdavis24Erdavis24 Registered Users 9 Posts
    I like a good mix. If I have a guy with great contact and speed, I play him over power, I'd rather a 9/2/9 than a 6/9/1