Options

Best team building strategies and ratings questions

JGYankJGYank Registered Users 49 Posts
I just recently started playing this game and was wondering what strategies you guys use and was hoping to get answers for some of my questions.

Do you prefer to have better players or better upgrade levels? What's more important?

Do the pitches the pitcher has and have many of them he has matter? If so what are the best pitches? Does anyone else seem to have trouble recognizing 2 seamers and cutters or can't react quickly enough to some pitches?

What's more worth it, 3 first round picks or a #1 pick? Or should I get the picks for a certain position or go after free agents? Also is it better to go with the recommended upgrade or just focus on certain ones?

Also I have some questions about the player ratings. Does speed affect defense too or just baserunning? What is the least speed that you will considering stealing with? What exactly does the stuff rating affect? Does it prevent hits and homers or get swings and misses? Does it affect movement? Also I've noticed some players have higher star ratings but lower number ratings than some other players. Should I go with the stars or numbers?

I know I'm asking a ton of questions but I just want to see what others are doing.

Comments

• Options
    Also does anyone know how many players you need to trade to get a first overall pick?
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    Depends on the player's quality in inactive list.
    You may need 7~10 players from number 1 draft to get a number one trade but for the players who are from first round or second round, you need about 40 of them to trade for a number 1 drat.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    JGYank wrote: »
    I just recently started playing this game and was wondering what strategies you guys use and was hoping to get answers for some of my questions.

Do you prefer to have better players or better upgrade levels? What's more important?

Do the pitches the pitcher has and have many of them he has matter? If so what are the best pitches? Does anyone else seem to have trouble recognizing 2 seamers and cutters or can't react quickly enough to some pitches?

What's more worth it, 3 first round picks or a #1 pick? Or should I get the picks for a certain position or go after free agents? Also is it better to go with the recommended upgrade or just focus on certain ones?

Also I have some questions about the player ratings. Does speed affect defense too or just baserunning? What is the least speed that you will considering stealing with? What exactly does the stuff rating affect? Does it prevent hits and homers or get swings and misses? Does it affect movement? Also I've noticed some players have higher star ratings but lower number ratings than some other players. Should I go with the stars or numbers?

I know I'm asking a ton of questions but I just want to see what others are doing.

Different league has different upgrade level requirement.
    You can focus on upgrade you hitting/pitching coach to level 3 when you are semi-pro.
    I upgrade my coach to level 4 and level 6 when I reach MVP and HOF

The hitting/pitching coach is more important than any other skills like catcher's arm, infiled/outfield hands...etc.

I will choose #1 pick rather than 3 first round.
    #1 pick's pool has players from 3~5 star
    First round' pool has players from 2~5 star
    I don't remember the exact number about how big the pool size is. I think it is nearly 500 players in #1 pick's pool.
    First round's pool size is nearly 700.
    Let's assume the chances to get 5 star players are equal for this two pool. You can have one pick to get from #1 and 3 picks from first round so you can have 4% chance to get a 5 star from first round and 2% chance from #1.

Comparing the chances between this two pool will let you think that you have to put all your effort for first round pick but I think GLU has made some differences in first round drafts. I always get 2~2.5 star player from first round. The chances to get 2~2.5 star player is extremely bigger than getting 3~5 star player for first round draft.

If you are in SEMI-PRO/PRO/All-Star league, one 3.5 or 4 star player will let you dominate the league so it is always better to pick players from #1 draft.

Speed attribute can affect stealing and base running. I don't feel like that this attribute will affect defense.
    Don't steal base if your speed is less than 6.

Stuff rating is quite important. It is the major difference between 4.5 and 5 star pitcher.
    If a pitcher has stuff rating equals to 9, it is very hard to get hits even the pitcher throw a strike and your batter hit it.
    You can see this differences when a pitcher is tired and his STUFF attribute decreases so don't let a tired pitcher working for the next inning. Use energy bar or another pitcher.

Go with the star when you compare players.
    When player's has the same level,
    For pitcher, ARM/STUFF is quite important.
    For batter, HIT/SPEED are my indicator.

You can use the STAT information to get more knowledge about how attribute affect the player's performance.
  • Options
    Thanks that really helps. I just got to All-Star and I dominated the early levels with great pitching but now I'm starting to fall behind because I moved up without improving my team much. My bullpen is pretty good so I always take my starter out whenever I get the chance. My hitters have very little speed except for a couple guys so I'll try to add some. I just wish the upgrades weren't so expensive. The price increases are ridiculous.
  • Options
    haggisinreigatehaggisinreigate Registered Users 3 Posts
    Thanks for that info above. I am new to baseball and the game so enjoying the post season and spending a lot of time on MLB.com. The game is helping as well and slowly working out the intricacies. Your info above will help.