Megalosaurus!!

cove512cove512 Registered Users 5 Posts
Fun fact: The Megalosaurus is now believed to be a heavily built bipedal (two legged) carnivore with short arms, similar to a small T-rex... hope the game developers realize their design for Megalosaurus is outdated by about 150 years ;)

When bone fragments from a leg bone were first discovered in the 1700's, scientists at the time theorized it was a giant fossilized pair of human testicles, and named the unknown specimen ******* humanum. (Not making this up!) They then realized they had a leg bone, not a set of *****, and thankfully renamed it Megalosaurus. For decades after it's discovery, Megalosaurus was believed to have looked like a giant sprawling lizard on four legs, not the two legged predator we recognize today.

-- your friendly neighborhood science teacher

Comments

• cove512cove512 Registered Users 5 Posts
    Haha! I got edited :) the first word rhymes with "modem", the second with "malls".
  • casajrcasajr Registered Users 1,468 Posts
    That's the problem with trying to make judgments from fragments.

Next year, they will find a complete skeleton and realize it looks like a giant grasshopper with an attitude.
    Common Sense is an ultra-rare superpower.
  • AmmonitesAmmonites Registered Users 30 Posts
    I know. I brought this up when I first saw it. I am guessing they knew the name, but when the development team researched it they went straight to Wikipedia and used the first picture they saw for a reference, which was a statue in Crystal Palace Park and built in the mid-1800's. A google search doesn't even have that come up until the second or third page.