Crowded Outfield

JGYankJGYank Registered Users 49 Posts
I just recently got Brett Gardner from a #1 pick. I already had Span Cain and Werth in my outfield. The game put Gardner in for Span. Just before getting Gardner I got Werth, Jon Jay, and Ryan Raburn all outfielders. Had Jay and Raburn on my bench temporarily (along with Starlin Castro 4* R 7 4 4). Werth is a 5* and a great hitter so he's staying in my outfield. Before this Span was doing very well in a pretty small sample and Cain was struggling also in a small sample. I'm also considering starting Gardner or Jay. I don't think Raburn is that good but my lineup does lack power but could also use more left handed hitters.

Which 2 should get starting spots? Which one should I trade? How would you rank them? Here are their skills:

Gardner 4* L 6 5 8

Span 4* L 8 1 9

Cain 4* R 7 2 9

Jay 4* L 8 2 5

Raburn 4* R 4 8 1

Comments

• Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    1. Jay 2. Span 3. Gardner 4. Cain 5. Raburn. I always look at hitting first. Especially from the right side. As long as their speed is at least 5, you have a good chance to steal. I know ur giving up on some power but you need guys on base so players like Werth can drive them in with his power.
  • JGYankJGYank Registered Users 49 Posts
    I agree with the last two. I would put the top 3 in a different order though. I like Span's contact and speed. I was thinking him and then Gardner over Jay because with my upgrades 5 speed isn't enough to steal so Jay is only good at one thing. Also I think Span is better since to me 4 more speed is worth more than 1 more power. I like that Gardner is at least decent at everything and has more power than the others except for Raburn. That way I get 2 lefties that can steal bases very well, and one of them adds some power which I need. I can use Jay off the bench when I need a hit and Cain can be a pinch runner. Castro would stay and Raburn gets cut.
  • The MachineThe Machine Registered Users 5 Posts
    I also have Jay, Garner, and Cain. Gardner's batting about .222 after 75 ABs and Jay is .320 after 900 ABs and I haven't played Cain much. I'm finding it hard to take Jay out of the lineup. He's also got 18 steals, but i only recently started sending him.
    What's his SB%? I try to keep it over 70%. Your upgrade level is probably higher than mine. I know Jay can make a lot of contact but so can the rest of my lineup. Gardner's got 3 more power and 3 more speed for just 2 contact. If I had to guess I would say Jay would bat around .315/.355/.395 with Gardner at .285/.325/.425 and better baserunning.
  • ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Jay, Gardner and Span in that order. Span was one of my players, and he always seemed to get on base. A walk or single, often turned into a scoring chance with him because he had a very high stolen base success rate. He also scored a ton of runs for me.

I, like Amused feel the hitting attribute is the most important for a player.
  • Detroit tiggersDetroit tiggers Registered Users 53 Posts
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    Jay, Gardner and Span in that order. Span was one of my players, and he always seemed to get on base. A walk or single, often turned into a scoring chance with him because he had a very high stolen base success rate. He also scored a ton of runs for me.

I, like Amused feel the hitting attribute is the most important for a player.

I have both Jay and Gardner, along with Nava in my OF. My stats are not even close between the two - much larger than the numbers should predict. I don't know how Span plays but I would swap Gardner for Span in a minute if I had a chance.

Jay 8/2/5 997AB, .357/.384/..397/.781

Gardner 6/5/8 1302 .269/.294/.350/.644

Biggest differences?
    Power 5 vs 2 - Gardner far outpaces Jay with HR by a factor of 6x
    Speed 8 vs 5 - Gardner can steal, 90% rate - don't event try with Jay
    Hitting 6 vs 8 - But for some strange reason I cannot seem to hit LHP with him, a paltry .189 BA. My team average against LHP is .289. I cannot explain the gap.

If I could only see what pitchers I get before the game LOL

Reference info - HOF level, almost 500 games played, decent win-loss ratio, try to play around 100 games at every level before moving up.
    Thanks. Showing their numbers from a large sample really helps with the decision. I think Span's a lock (same contact as Jay plus great at stealing bases for only 1 less power) but am going back and forth on Gardner/Jay. One thing that hurts Jay's case as a starter is that I've been using him off the bench pinch hitting with RISP and it's working great. But the gap between their numbers there is huge and bigger than I expected. Plus everyone else agrees on Jay. I think I'll make him the starter.