Options

Advice on a risk...

Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
Debating trying a strategy to obtain Buster Posey. It looks like there are about 30ish catchers with 2 stars or higher. Thinking I might try something. Using blue cash to draft as many 2-3 star catchers. Then using saved up gold to buy by position of catcher. I figure if, I can get 5 from the 2-3 star. And I have enough saved gold to draft 13 times at catcher, that I may get Buster. I do not like the way it sounds, but I cannot think of another strategy that would be in my favor. #1 picks have so many players. Thinning the odds on one position might work. Thoughts? Go for it or do u have another idea.

Comments

• Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    Interesting idea. Even if you don't use blue cash, you only need about 9000 gold to get him... not to mention you may already have a couple of C in your roster (including inactive ones).

I wonder which other position this strategy might work. Maybe SS? There isn't a lot good SS out there...
  • Options
    QLDoriginQLDorigin Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 60 Posts
    I did pretty much that. Got it to the point where Posey was the only catcher left, so it does work. Same method on shortstop and got Tulo, outfield and got Trout.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea Amused, give it a try.
  • Options
    QLDorigin wrote: »
    I did pretty much that. Got it to the point where Posey was the only catcher left, so it does work. Same method on shortstop and got Tulo, outfield and got Trout.

How many C's did you get? And how many SS? 30? There must be a lot OF for you to get Trout.
  • Options
    QLDorigin wrote: »

Well I really am hoping I do not draft every catcher before I get to Posey. I'd like to think it would be in the middle somewhere. Curious the answer to solarmen's question. How many catchers did you go through since he was the absolute last one left? And outfield must have taken forever, there are ALOT of them.
  • Options
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    Well I really am hoping I do not draft every catcher before I get to Posey. I'd like to think it would be in the middle somewhere. Curious the answer to solarmen's question. How many catchers did you go through since he was the absolute last one left? And outfield must have taken forever, there are ALOT of them.
    I actually did draft every Catcher! I used the method described in threads: late round, 2nd round , 1st round using gold. Also used the Post "part of 2.5-5 Star Players List" to see how many were left of the 4.5 - 5 star players. When I knew there were only a few at the position I wanted, I switched to the 300 Gold Position Draft. Sure enough, Posey was the only one there! For Shortstop and outfield, there were a few left, but I stopped when I got the ones I wanted.
  • Options
    You used gold on 1st round picks, hoping that 1 of 3 were a catcher. I would think odds are better just drafting by that specific position. Given that there are 7 other positions plus starting and relief pichers. (And a few DHs to boot). Glad you got him. I may wait to save more gold.
  • Options
    I used the 1st round picks till I knew there was very few players left at a position then I switched out to the 300 Gold position pick. I started with 15K gold and used a little more than half.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    solarmen wrote: »
    How many C's did you get? And how many SS? 30? There must be a lot OF for you to get Trout.

Just got D.Santana. There is about more than 30 SS in position draft.
  • Options
    Drafted about 3 catchers before I started. Took 15 picks. At 300 a piece before I got Posey. So I had to spend a little cash. Oh well. In the end I'm guessing since there is only one 5 star catcher it took longer. If u are looking for a great shortstop, there are 4 5 star guys. Probably a lot easier. Oh well. Drafting is done. Buster is mine. A little cash lost, but the last hitting upgrade I needed. Good luck to all those that try this method.
  • Options
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    Drafted about 3 catchers before I started. Took 15 picks. At 300 a piece before I got Posey. So I had to spend a little cash. Oh well. In the end I'm guessing since there is only one 5 star catcher it took longer. If u are looking for a great shortstop, there are 4 5 star guys. Probably a lot easier. Oh well. Drafting is done. Buster is mine. A little cash lost, but the last hitting upgrade I needed. Good luck to all those that try this method.

I am trying this method to get another SS. I had 13 SS in my roster (2* or better). So far I drafted 5 more SS. Let's how many more do I need to get Danny Santana or Tulo.
  • Options
    I now have 28 SS (2*+) in my roster and am still trying. It looks like there are about 10 more, including three five stars (I already have Hanley).

Let's see if I can get one five-star SS in the next three tries... and it better not be Desmond.
  • Options
    Detroit tiggersDetroit tiggers Registered Users 53 Posts
    How many players at a position is a database I am still working on. Its complicated because people play different positions and I still don't understand the Glu process of deciding where a player "plays". Also I have data for players before the update but havent seen them since. Finally some of the info is taken from the forums here and there are occasional typos & errors

My database taken from MLB shows 65 mainly SS players.
    5 stars = 4
    4.5 stars = no data for current stats, 1 player had 4.5 before the update - Alexei Ramírez
    4 stars = 6
    3.5 stars = 4
    3 stars = 8
    2.5 stars = 9
    2 stars = 6 current and 2 before the stats change
    1.5 stars = 1 current and 2 before
    1 star = 6 and 2
    players I havent seen in game yet = 12
  • Options
    Excellent data, Detroit Tigers. Thank you so much.

Do you have data on other positions? The next one I am looking at is 1B...
  • Options
    solarmen wrote: »
    Excellent data, Detroit Tigers. Thank you so much.

Do you have data on other positions? The next one I am looking at is 1B...

I am working on a complete dataset and will post when reasonably finished. My fear is that posting something half done will end up causing 50 versions to float around.

I need help with players 2 stars and under if anyone would be so kind to post what they know.
  • Options
    1st Base
    5 stars = 6
    4.5 = 3 + 1 before the update (Edwin Encarnación)
    4 = 9
    3.5 = 5 + 1 (Adam LaRoche)
    3 = 4
    2.5 = 11 + 1
    2 = 9 + 1
    1.5 = 6 + 1
    1 = 3 + 1
    Unknown = 10