Options

Results of 57 number 1 picks

redbirdredbird Registered Users 39 Posts
I had gold saved up to get trout so I was able to make 57 number 1 picks (some of them were trade ins). Kept track of the players I got as well as the number of stars each player had. I'll share the results below for anyone that cares to look. I seemed to get worse players when i traded in but I didn't keep track of that, i should have.

Total number 1 picks 57

Total 5 star players: 1 (Jose Abreu, At least I got a stud) (1.7%)

Total 4.5 star players:7 (12.3%)

Total 4 star players: 15 (26.3%)

total 3.5 star players: 17 (29.8%)

total 3 star players: 17 (29.8%)

Now what would be really interesting to me is someone has the percentages of overall players in the game. I'd be curious how they would match up to these percentages.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Comments

• Options
    StarCatStarCat Registered Users 269 Posts
    Of the 4 star and 4.5 star players, did you get pitchers? Who were the 4.5 star players?

I had a similar experience with the most recent Fan Rewards event, although I didn't keep the stats. In addition to two of the three players (Molina + Trout) offered in the fan rewards, I picked up three other players that made my team (thus a total of five new players):

Daniel Murphy, 2B, 4.5 stars...he replaced Howie Kendrick, 4 stars (not certain if Murphy will ultimately be an upgrade over Kendrick)
    Michael Wacha, SP, 4.5 stars...he became SP3 for me (behind Kluber and Cobb)
    Fernando Salas, RP, 4 stars...he assumed set-up role
  • Options
    marcus stroman p
    adam lind 1b
    sergio romo rp
    neil ramirez rp
    andrew cashner p
    james paxton p
    justin turner 3b

I should point out that pitching was my weakest area so not sure if thats why i got more pitchers or not
  • Options
    Did all the pitchers make your team?
  • Options
    yes on this team they did. This isn't my first team, this is a team i created so i could start over from the beginning and build my team again.
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    redbird wrote: »
    marcus stroman p
    adam lind 1b
    sergio romo rp
    neil ramirez rp
    andrew cashner p
    james paxton p
    justin turner 3b

I should point out that pitching was my weakest area so not sure if thats why i got more pitchers or not

I think Romo is 7/8/8. He is pretty good.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Romo has a craftiness about him, and at times is very difficult to hit.
  • Options
    Detroit tiggersDetroit tiggers Registered Users 53 Posts
    Been collecting player info a while and need less than 200 lower level players or so to publish the results.

If Glu doesn't skew the results of picks here is what I am estimating:
    5-star = 71 players
    4.5-star = 68 players
    4-star = 116 players
    3.5-star = 112 players
    3-star = 165 players
    2.5-star = 155 players
    2-star = 193 players
    1.5-star = 185 players
    1-star = 274 players

#1 pick = 3-5 stars = 530 players
    First round = 2-5 stars = 880 players
    Second Round = 1.5-4 stars = 930 players
    Late Round = 1-3 stars = 975 players

redbird, I would say your 57 picks are statistically significant so it sure looks likes Glu skews the picks.

On the other hand I have had much better luck than many people here have reported when pulling draft pics - my results seem to indicate the skewing is limited.
  • Options
    gregadamsgregadams Registered Users 298 Posts
    Hi Detroit,

I am looking at upgrading my pitching to 4.5-5 stars. From your experience would it be better to go for #1 picks or just draft starting and relief pitchers.
  • Options
    gregadams wrote: »
    Hi Detroit,

I am looking at upgrading my pitching to 4.5-5 stars. From your experience would it be better to go for #1 picks or just draft starting and relief pitchers.
    #1 Draft Picks. Lots of them. But fewer than you'd need with just specifically drafting pitchers.
  • Options
    gregadamsgregadams Registered Users 298 Posts
    Great thanks
  • Options
    StarCat wrote: »
    #1 Draft Picks. Lots of them. But fewer than you'd need with just specifically drafting pitchers.

It is so hard to say because Glu skews the lower players in any draft. I have started from the bottom and only made about 200 picks so far. The results? very similar to what redbird found with the #1 picks

1-star = 68 or 33%
    1.5-star = 64 or 31%
    2-star = 58 or 29%
    2.5-star = 12 or 6%
    3-star = 2 or 1%

In fact it is AMAZING that the numbers almost exactly match. Around 30% for the lowest, 30% for the next, 30% for the third, 9% for the second highest and 1% for the top.

But the most telling statistic is that there was only two 2.5 and 3-star picks in the first 160 players and twelve in the last 40. That means the % changes as you make more picks. I am not sure if its because the lower rated players are gone thus improving the odds or if its because Glu changes the odds as you pick more players, although I am leaning towards the latter since I have only 200 late rounders so far and Chaingang28 says there are 768 late round players.

Not sure how many players are in the game but I found 1337 who played in MLB in 2014. I have found 1080 in the game so far and continue to find players in the app who have stats for only one game in MLB so i am assuming they are pretty much all there. Francisco Peña is a great example, 1 game no stats in the majors yet he has a 1 -star 2/1/2 rating in the app after the October update (he has played AAA for most of the year).
  • Options
    gregadams wrote: »
    Hi Detroit,

Sorry I didn't answer your question with my above response. I will blame ADD.

There are 40 4.5 and 5-star Starting Pitchers to the best of my ability to figure it out.
    There are between 213 and 235 total Starting Pitchers which means 17-19% are 4.5 to 5-star
    There are between 488 and 530 total 3 to 5-star players available for #1 Draft pick which means 7-9% are 4.5 to 5-star

Sure looks like if you need a 4.5 to 5-star pitcher you have better odds drafting Pitchers.

However I think you probably have to draft at least 50 players to get one based on Glu skewing the results.