Clayton Kershaw

~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
GP GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L WHIP BAA ERA
27 27 6 2 198.1 139 42 39 9 31 239 21 3 0.86 .196 1.77

The above numbers are 2014 regular season stats for Clayton Kershaw. They are insane! In this game he was rewarded with skill attributes of 9/9/9. However, ask yourself honestly if his numbers represent his difficulty to hit in this game. Kershaw is very hittable, in fact I have him on my roster and his ERA is 3.63, BAA .275 and WHIP 1.19. Oh yeah, my pitching coach and pitch calling are upgraded to 9! Why such a tremendous disparity from real life, easy, he's a lefty! In this game against really good teams and Legends, he gets hit hard.

If a pitcher has the stats that Kershaw put up last year (easily the best in MLB in many, many years) in my opinion he should be much harder to hit in this game. I have discussed this with Jemic, and he tends to agree.

I always look forward to everyone's opinion, and would like to know your thoughts on this subject.

Amused, you seem to beat him up regularly, I think even against me! Your thoughts sir?

Comments

• Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    We have discussed this Lawman. I agree with you 100%. I've had him a long time and I'm lucky his ERA for me is only 2.90 after 2800 innings. Definitely not representative of the best pitcher in baseball stat wise currently. I do hit him pretty easily against Legends. Put 17 runs in 2 innings once. But I will say of late, he isn't throwing as many fast***** and has been harder to consistantly hit and score off of. Maybe Glu tweaked him a little. But he my #4 on my team and I dare not use him against the Legends. I'm in full agreement with you. His weakness is that once you get a hit or two, he starts grooving the first pitch fastball. Once in a while he will throw a curve for a ball. But if you lay off it, you can bet the fastball is coming. I've gone up against him some innings and he actually is pretty good. Curve***** for strikes that if I hit are pop ups. If I let them go its a strike. If he had more innings like that, it would be more accurate. A high control rating of 9 is a death sentance. Especially when it's a lefty.
  • champ_beauchampchamp_beauchamp Registered Users 79 Posts
    I totally agree with you guys. I love facing Kershaw. Every at bat I just camp out and wait for the fastball and destroy him. I'd rather face Kershaw than Gio Gonzalez, and that's just not right. He's the weakest of all the Legends starting rotation. In fact, all 9 9 9 pitchers are easy because they are predictable and throw too many strikes. The hardest pitchers are the ones who throw curveball after curveball for strikes and force you to swing at that garbage.
  • QLDoriginQLDorigin Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 60 Posts
    I agree with the conversation. I don't have Kershaw, but the last 3 times I have faced him in Legends, have hit him hard and beat him. Maybe Glu should give him more breaking ***** or off speed stuff?
    This is true for a lot of the 5* pitchers. Felix is easily hitable with few strikeouts. Being from Seattle I have seen him pitch many times, the TSB version is not close to reality!
  • yaybaseballyaybaseball Registered Users 98 Posts
    QLDorigin wrote: »
    I agree with the conversation. I don't have Kershaw, but the last 3 times I have faced him in Legends, have hit him hard and beat him. Maybe Glu should give him more breaking ***** or off speed stuff?
    This is true for a lot of the 5* pitchers. Felix is easily hitable with few strikeouts. Being from Seattle I have seen him pitch many times, the TSB version is not close to reality!
    i agree. kershaw and felix are really hittable.

i also seem to hit madbum and price fairly well. for some reason lester gets me everytime; he throws a ton of breaking *****.
    I think the top pitchers in this game are seen so much in the games we play that we eventually hit them all pretty good. Teams I play or play me, when I see or pitch some of the best 5* pitcher like Kershaw, Sale, Baumgardner, Cueto, Darvish, Felix, and Tanaka I hit them pretty well. And they get hit by people I play a lot. Now when I run into a starter i have only faced maybe once and he's a 4 star I'll struggle. Everyone wants the 5 star pitchers. Me included. But an interesting experiment would be to load your rotation with rarely seen 4 star pitchers like Gonzalez or Lariano and face your friends that you play often to see how they adjust to the switch up. Just switch them back before taking on Legend playoffs. Lol.
  • dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    I've had much more luck against kershaw than I have had against Gio Gonzalez and Julio Teheran. Those two destroy me every time - I can't stand facing them! Teheran is 5/8/8 and he just destroys me with his wicked two seam fastball or whatever it is. As soon as I get used to the fastball swinging back across the plate he starts throwing straight four seam fast***** outside and I get stuck swinging at them.
  • solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    Exactly. Kershaw, Bumgarner and Doolittle are my favorite pitchers to hit.

8cx4fJf.png
  • thesheriff33thesheriff33 Registered Users 97 Posts
    solarmen wrote: »
    Exactly. Kershaw, Bumgarner and Doolittle are my favorite pitchers to hit.

8cx4fJf.png

That's a very impressive performance. Usually I can only muster 16 runs over the course a whole game.
  • J.LeeJ.Lee Registered Users 146 Posts
    One thing to consider is the fact that Kershaw puts up much better numbers in real life because he isn't pitching against a full roster of dynamite hitters like he is in the game.
  • Bleachercreatur3Bleachercreatur3 Registered Users 19 Posts
    Very true..games always tend to be hitter friendly there are many .400 hitters, yet there has not been one in the MLB since the 1941
  • ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Good point J.Lee. However, I have Tanaka, Darvish and Strasburg and all have better numbers than Kershaw, and they face the same hitters. If the pitcher's attributes are based on real life stats, than Kershaw's performance should reflect being the best pitcher in the game today.
    So agree. Faced Cobb and Ryu against players recently, and they held me down to 3 runs in 12 innings combined with less then 9 pitching. I'm lucky if Kershaw holds 1 game below 4 runs in 6 innings. And my pitching is at 9. It's a double edged sword. I'm glad I can hit Kershaw against Legends. But hate seeing him get lit up for multiple runs per start in each player game.
  • QLDoriginQLDorigin Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 60 Posts
    Just finished beating Kershaw 9-2 to clinch a Legends series. One thing I have noticed, it seems Kershaw (and other elite pitchers), sometimes get pitches on the corners called for strikes that most pitchers don't. Maybe I am imagining it?
  • yaybaseballyaybaseball Registered Users 98 Posts
    QLDorigin wrote: »
    Just finished beating Kershaw 9-2 to clinch a Legends series. One thing I have noticed, it seems Kershaw (and other elite pitchers), sometimes get pitches on the corners called for strikes that most pitchers don't. Maybe I am imagining it?
    i think that's absolutely true. i've seen some pretty bs calls.
  • solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    Is there any lefty you guys use and trust? My pitching staff is all right handed (SP and RP). I had David Price but decided to replace him with Cobb who performed much much better than Price.

I can think of Chris Sale and maybe Jon Lester. Other ones are pretty easy to hit.
    I would agree saying Sale and Lester are probably the hardest of the lefties to hit. I really cannot think of another. Baumgardner throws a lot of hitable strikes.