Options

Suggestions to lower my strikeout rate

StarCatStarCat Registered Users 269 Posts
My major weakness is striking out. I've been playing since late September, and this problem is still a killer for me. I play on an iPhone 5, so I don't have a big screen and thus not a lot of time to recognize pitches. Any suggestions? I play a lot so I'm getting practice in, but something isn't clicking.

I'm HoF level, and my W-L record (158-98) isn't bad, but strikeout vulnerability is what is holding me back.

Comments

• Options
    dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    Take pitches early in the count as much as you can. The only exception to that is if you are facing a pitcher with 8-9 control - then you will see a lot more strikes.

I get in a rut sometimes where I swing at every strike no matter what, but that will usually end up bad for me. Try to let those curve***** go, unless you're in a bad count.
  • Options
    Clark22Clark22 Registered Users, Member 324 Posts
    Yeah, same here for me early on. I was 300-400 games in before I finally hit a groove, then it clicked better. Since then my strikeout rate has dropped a decent amount
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    It's like anything in life. The more you do something the slower it seems. Early on everything seemed to move very fast. Soon your pitch recognition will get better and you will pick up on the strikes or not. Plus with repetion, you will learn what counts have higher odds of strikes. 3-1 count and such. It still happens where I feel like Im guessing each pitch and guess wrong the whole inning and strike out 3x. Just be patient StarCat your strikeout rate will improve.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    StarCat

The advice offered by Dtrain and Amused should help you reduce your rate of strikeouts. The only thing I would add, is that each pitcher has certain tendencies, so get to know them. There are pitchers that will throw a ball most of the time with a full count, and other almost always throw a strike. Once you recognize these signs, I guarantee you will strike out less. Like Amused said, and I concur, it is sometimes just a guessing game. Luck absolutely plays a role in this game!
  • Options
    Max SterlingMax Sterling Registered Users 311 Posts
    Hey Now StarCat, I'm so glad you brought this up because I was being very tough on myself about striking out all of the time. Sometimes I go into a game planning not to swing at the first pitch all game but after an inning or 2 I find myself swinging at every pitch despite my intentions. Its extremely frustrating. Thanks Dtrain and Amused for your advice. Much appreciated.-Max
  • Options
    LiverpoolFCLiverpoolFC Registered Users 68 Posts
    I don't really play the game anymore, but for some reason I still look at this board once in a blue moon. To avoid striking out you definitely have to be patient. Sometimes it helps to not swing at anything until the pitcher throws you a strike. Another trick I used to use is that if you have a 3-1 count don't swing. The pitcher shows you his intention on this pitch. So, if he throws you a strike you can be 95% certain that you'll get another strike on 3-2 and you can swing for the fences, but if he throws you a ball you get a nice easy walk. Also, if you do swing 3-1 and you end up swinging at a ball, in my experience the pitcher was very likely (90%) to throw another ball of the same nature on 3-2 since he knows he can get you to chase.

Sidenote: Amused, your team must be so stacked by now. I deleted the app because I was spending too much time on it, but I wish I still had it so I could beat your studly squad.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts

Sidenote: Amused, your team must be so stacked by now. I deleted the app because I was spending too much time on it, but I wish I still had it so I could beat your studly squad.

Yea Liverpool, you probably would still give me a run for my money. Good to see you on the forum. I figured you grew tired of the game and hung up your cleats. I ended up getting all the 5 star players by playing the tourney and it only costing 400 gold a player. It took a lot of time, but no more drafting. Thank God. I don't play as much either. But I won't be deleting the app. Way too much time and effort invested. Plus I'm curious to see the player rating changes in the future. Take care!!
  • Options
    Max SterlingMax Sterling Registered Users 311 Posts
    Hey Liverpool, your tips have totally changed the game for me in a great way. I am now hitting so much better than before. I now produce more than twice as many hits and score more than twice as many runs since I read your post. Thanks so much, I truly appreciate it-Max