Just beat the Legends in playoffs

baseball_fanbaseball_fan Registered Users 45 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have been playing this game for 7 months now. And all your smart posts helped me assemble a good team.
Yesterday, I was finally able to beat the Legends 4-3 in the playoffs. So, wanted to share my experience if that can help others trying to do the same.

The first 2 series, I was blanked 4-0 easily. My ace was Kershaw and he lost both the opening rubbers.

In the 3rd series, he again lost for the 3rd time, but I won my first game with Chris Sale starting. Lost that series 4-1.

Then, I took the hard step and took Kershaw out of my rotation.

So, my 4th series had Sale as Ace, Felix Hernandez, Mad Bum, Tanaka and Jose Fernandez. Won the only game started by King Felix. Again lost the series 4-1.

By now, my records against the Legends was 2-16.

More changes. Brought in Johnny Cueto for Mad Bum. Now, except Sale, all my starters were righties.
This time around, beat Legends pitching of Sale, Cueto, Bumgarner and Tanaka.

Twisted my batting lineup too until it clicked well. Just finished drafting all 2nd rounders and up beginning of January. So, my lineup doesn't have many at-bats till now.

Here is my lineup:

Buster Posey(C)
Jose Abreu(1B)
Scooter Gennett(2B) - is batting .423
Adrian Beltra(3B)
Troy Tulowitzki(SS) - He is a monster, over 532 ABs, .365 Avg, 18 HR, 95 RBIs, 29.6 AB/HR, 27 Doubles
Josh Harrison(OF)
Mike Trout(OF)
Andrew McCutchen(OF)
Victor Martinez(DH)

Subs:
Michael Brantley(OF)
Miguel Cabrera(1B)
Danny Santana(SS)

PITCHING:

Chris Sale
Felix Hernandez
Jonhhy Cueto
Masahiro Tanaka
Jose Fernandez

Relievers:
Glen Perkins(L) 988
Ken Giles(R) 979
Dellin Betances(R) 969
Kenley Jansen(R) 979
Koji Uehara(R) 999

As you can see, I have kept maximum righties in pitching, based off many suggestions in this forum. And it has produced better results against Legends playoffs, human and computer players.

Also, I have 850 inactive players, but playing on my Galaxy TAB, the lag is not big and game plays smoothly. Only, changing players can be time-consuming.

Any suggestions to improve my lineup and rotation would be welcome. As I said, I read the forum very regularly and there are great tips from everyone.

Comments

• ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Hey Baseball_Fan, GREAT JOB!!! Your line-up is very, very strong. The only difference between mine and yours, is I have Cano at 2nd and I start Brantley and sub Trout. I have the same 5 starters, albeit in a different order. I don't use Perkins, as I have Grilli in his place. I also have Robertson instead of Giles. When it comes to relievers, there are quite a few really good righties, so it doesn't matter all that much to me.

I have posted about Kershaw's weakness in this game many times. I'm glad you decided to take him out of your rotation.
  • baseball_fanbaseball_fan Registered Users 45 Posts
    Hi Lawman,
    Thanks for the reply.

I started with Cano too as my 2B, once I drafted all the 4.5 and 5 star players. Before him, I had Daniel Murphy. But second baseman slot gives me 3 great options in Cano, Gennett and Altuve that I was confused. After Cano didn't hit too well for me, I went for Altuve mainly due to his speed. He was only hitting .279 with 11 base steals in 104 ABs.

Scooter Gennett has been the surprise find for me with his hitting. Interestingly, he never gets mentioned in the forums top players. But is batting .428 in 238 ABs. Of course, he doesn't have Altuve's speed but drives in runs all the time.

One question, though. You have Robertson (959), instead of Ken Giles (979). My thought was that 979 pitcher would be better than 959 as control is better (everything else remaining the same)?
  • ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Baseball_Fan:

Sometimes in this game a high arm and stuff rating, in conjunction with mid control is very effective. I think Giles is also a solid reliever, and if his numbers are good for you, what look to switch? I had Perkins for a wile, and decided to put him in my inactives. His ERA was in the mid 3's. Grilli has one nasty out pitch, a slurve. If you decide to give another reliever a try, give Grilli a shot and see what you think.

Gennet's numbers look great, but I think they will start to level off at some point. I use Cano, because when all else is even, I always go with the lefty.
  • jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    Congrats! Very strong lineup!
    Only one question, why do you keep G.Perkins rather than Melancon or D.Rob?
  • baseball_fanbaseball_fan Registered Users 45 Posts
    Hi,
    I had Melancon in the beginning but he was leaking too many runs in relief. I have never tried David Robertson, but he is an option. Glen Perkins has been rated quite high by people in the forum, so I included him as I recently drafted all 5-star players. Actually, I am still in test-mode with players as haven't had too many games played with this lineup. So, any suggestions are welcome.
  • yaybaseballyaybaseball Registered Users 98 Posts
    nice job!

felix hernandez is the BEST pitcher against the computer. almost 1000IP for me and he dominates the computer and does fairly well against the legends.

but from my experience, he only does decent against humans; not nearly as good as guys like sale, madbum, cueto, darvish etc.
  • dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I just completed drafting all the 5* guys and Ive been trying to beat the legends for the first time now. Lost the first series 4-2 after Uehara and Jansen blew the final 3 games in a row badly. I don't get it, I only use righties out of the bullpen against Legends and they still smash them.

Just started my 2nd series against them and lost the first game 6-4. I put up 11 hits and 5 walks on Kershaw in 7 innings but could only scratch 3 runs across against him. Tons of singles and double plays. I honestly think I hit into 5 or 6 double plays to end innings. Even tried bunting guys to 2nd and 3rd with no outs, which worked great, but then they walk Posey and Beltre hits into a double play. It's crazy how unlucky I get against them! Oh yeah, they only put up 2 runs on 7 innings this game as I had Felix starting, but like clockwork, Jansen and Uehara each gave up 2 runs in the 8th and 9th.

I think playing Legends is the most frustrating thing I've encountered in this game. I didn't get this angry when I was trying to play through the lag of having 1150 inactives!
  • RobotstoveRobotstove Registered Users 163 Posts
    I keep a punching bag near me when I play Legends, for serious.

It saves me from the temptation of throwing my phone through the wall. 4 times now I have lead the series 3-1 or 3-2 and lost 4-3 by one run.

It's not like the time investment to play a full 7 game series is minor, either.

EDIT: Also, I found that my relievers BEFORE I tried for all players are better than after. I was using Joachin Benoit, Joe Smith, and Darren O'Day.
    In-game name: Robotstove
    In TSB 2014: Legends, beat playoffs fourteen times (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2015: Greatest of All Time (GOAT) (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2016: Recently returned and rising!

I have come back to play TSB 2016, so you can join me and others in a general TSB 2016 chat using Discord: https://discord.gg/t9yTMgx

Look forward to chatting with everyone!
  • thesheriff33thesheriff33 Registered Users 97 Posts
    I just got my welcoming to the Legends team. They killed me 4-0, which is expected as I haven't gotten enough upgrades/enough players to consistently score. Hopefully I'm able to upgrade and hopefully play some competitive games vs them
  • champ_beauchampchamp_beauchamp Registered Users 79 Posts
    Wow, I beat the legends with a way weaker lineup. Maybe one day I'll have players like you.