Options

Getting roughed up

solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
Don't you love it when your best closer gave up 10 runs in one inning against an extremely weak team?

2h67o6f.png

Comments

• Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Probably an auto play I suspect solarmen. On my best day I've never spotted 10er on Koji. Was it cpu or human.
  • Options
    Also based on hits plus walks, you must of had an error in the inning
  • Options
    And you still got the win. Well done. How much did Koji era jump?
  • Options
    This was a bonus game. But right after this game against a human player, he gave up 4 runs to record another BS. Although it's possible the opponent autoplayed... he is still good though, ERA jumped from 1.9 to 2.2 after these blowouts.
  • Options
    QLDoriginQLDorigin Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 60 Posts
    I could start a thread on bogus features of TSB. No manager would ever leave a reliever (or starter for that matter) in the game to give up 10 runs in one inning. Maybe if it was the 18th inning and he had no pitchers left in the bullpen.
  • Options
    QLDorigin wrote: »
    I could start a thread on bogus features of TSB. No manager would ever leave a reliever (or starter for that matter) in the game to give up 10 runs in one inning. Maybe if it was the 18th inning and he had no pitchers left in the bullpen.

Admittedly this is a tough problem to solve. We can't wait for the opponent to change pitcher in the middle of an inning. The game will last forever.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    That's why Koji does not pitch as one of my relievers. I have put up many, many runs against him. The most I can remember is 7 in one inning. It's the exception rather than the rule he blanks me.
  • Options
    I've always had my doubts on Koji. But used correctly he can be a solid reliever. I leave him out of tie games or 1 run games. I use him when my lead is 2 or more. He (at least for me) may give up a run, but rarely gives up big innings. Albeit solermen has shown otherwise.
  • Options
    Amused_79 wrote: »
    I've always had my doubts on Koji. But used correctly he can be a solid reliever. I leave him out of tie games or 1 run games. I use him when my lead is 2 or more. He (at least for me) may give up a run, but rarely gives up big innings. Albeit solermen has shown otherwise.
    I moved Koji to pitch the 7th per your advice in a previous thread some time ago. It has worked well. His ERA as settled in to about 2.60, and rarely gives up more than 1 run.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    Bad luck for you solarmen.
    The game tries to balance things in average so I believe sometime your KOJI is terminator but sometimes he works like xxxx.
    The most ER I see in one inning is 16 by Kenly Jasen who is a well known good reliever in this forum.
    Before the 16ER inning, Kenly's ERA is 0.96 after nearly 50 games.
    So the balance algorithm could work at anytime and sometimes I just hope this algorithm will not work in my key games.
  • Options
    Jemic:

I was just tagged by the proverbial "algorithm" against Legends. I went into the last inning up 8-3, and I had Dellin Betances pitching as my closer. I thought the game was in the bag. BAM, tapped the button, and found myself down 11-8!!! I scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th, but alas, not enough. Lost a heartbreaker 11-10. Up until that point Betances had an ERA just under 2.00. So, you ask yourself, 8 runs in one inning? Fair, no, part of the game, absolutely. Still up 3-1 in series, but c'mon man!!!
  • Options
    Cmon Lawman, you should be used to the plight of facing the uncertainty known as the legend offense. :) Now you get to enjoy a game against Darvish. As you told me.. Patience is key!!
  • Options
    Hard to argue with that Amused! Patience is key!!!

I guess it's the principal of the thing. Betances giving up 8 runs in one inning is crazy.
  • Options
    No I agree with you. I've had my top relievers cough up that many runs too. You have a 9 stuff pitcher with a 9 upgrade pitching, it would seem that the odds are highly against 8 runs.
  • Options
    Amused:

I did not beat Darvish in game 5 (lost 8-6), nor did I beat Kershaw in game 6 (lost 13-10). It went the whole 7 games, where I beat Mad Bum 11-3. Other than the 500 gold, the additional rewards are somewhat moot.

I did see something rather extraordinary in my game 6 defeat though. I hit back to back home runs in the 8th inning. I know, what's so unusual about back to back home runs, well they both hit the right field foul pole!!!!!!!! If I played a million more innings, I doubt I could do it again.
  • Options
    bizzlebizzle Registered Users 75 Posts
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    Amused:

I did not beat Darvish in game 5 (lost 8-6), nor did I beat Kershaw in game 6 (lost 13-10). It went the whole 7 games, where I beat Mad Bum 11-3. Other than the 500 gold, the additional rewards are somewhat moot.

I did see something rather extraordinary in my game 6 defeat though. I hit back to back home runs in the 8th inning. I know, what's so unusual about back to back home runs, well they both hit the right field foul pole!!!!!!!! If I played a million more innings, I doubt I could do it again.

Those foul pole home runs are always exhilarating! Back to back off the foul pole in game 6 against the Legends? Now that is just crazy!
  • Options
    Very awesome Lawman. I've never done that. So how many series wins does make for you my friend?
  • Options
    That sir was the 22nd time I have beaten Legends. Felix Hernandez pitched a masterful game 7.
  • Options
    You are probably in the 30s by know I presume? You are indeed the Slayer of Legends!!!
  • Options
    Yes, the game does seem to balance things. One thing I have noticed when you play the $35K tourneys, if I am up by a lot, blowout type game, my closer (Kenley jansen) will almost always give up 1 or 2 runs. If it is close, he doesn't.
  • Options
    Jared5150Jared5150 Registered Users 39 Posts
    I have a quick question for you guys that have beaten the legends a bunch, figured I'd ask it here. I finally beat em the other day after what seemed like an eternity lol. My question now though is what should I start spending gold on now that I know I can beat them? I have a real solid team (a few 5 stars, a few solid 4 stars, and the rest are 4.5 stars). My upgrades are: coaches, trainer, and pitch calling at 9, base coach and hands at 7, and the rest are at 6. I was thinking of continuing to spend future gold raising the rest of my upgrades, just wondering what you guys would do.

*i would like to get a stud righty starter since my all my 5 star starters are lefties, I'm just not sure that the amount of gold I'd have to spend on draft picks to get one right now would be worth it.
  • Options
    Jared:

First off, congrats on beating Legends the other day. Every victory over them is fun and an accomplishment.

My opinion is to allocate the gold you save up towards upgrades. Since you get to see the actual results of game play, I will let you decide where you need to enhance your team.

Yes, having a right handed ace is very helpful when taking on Legends. Unfortunately, obtaining one through draft picks is very difficult. My friend Amused suggested to me a while back to play in the gold tourneys to obtain 5 star players, but I just didn't have the wherewithal or patience to see it through. I had oodles of cash, since I never really used it for anything, and bought up all the second round picks, then with gold purchased the rest. I have heard various amounts that would be necessary, and quite frankly, I never kept track.

My advice for acquiring a stud righty is to wait until one is offered as part of an event, and only purchase draft picks when they are on sale for 225. Hopefully, on your way to claiming the top tier reward, you will obtain a few bonus players worthy of your roster.

Don't waste your gold on random draft picks, more than likely you will be disappointed. Also, forget about the positional draft picks, as that's a bigger waste of gold than #1 Draft Picks.

I must say, I did get lucky in putting together my pitching rotation. Tanaka and Cueto were obtained by #1 Draft Picks after beating Legends. I've never won anything else in life (other than my wife's heart, just in case!), so I guess I was due.

Good luck
  • Options
    thesheriff33thesheriff33 Registered Users 97 Posts
    Lawman-I was going to buy up all the late round picks & the 2nd rounders and then start spending money on the Starting Pitcher packs to acquire a better rotation. Do you think that's a mistake?
  • Options
    Jared5150Jared5150 Registered Users 39 Posts
    Thanks for the input! I was thinking along those lines aswell. I'd like to start in on those 5 star tourneys, but I think I'll play it safe and do a few more upgrades first. Hopefully I'll just get lucky on gettin a righty. Lester isn't ideal, and used to always get lit up, but since I got my pitch calling and coach to 9, he can atleast usually give me a chance against the legends lineup

It's so nice to get a little break from going against that same darn pitching rotation! Lol. Was starting to get tired of seeing those same 5 guys everyday
  • Options
    Sheriff:

Your strategy makes sense to me if you are playing the percentages. By removing the lower rated players you most certainly enhance your chances to draw a better pitcher later on in the draft. I just want to be clear, when you say Starting Pitcher packs, do you mean positional drafts, ie only Starting Pitchers. Or do you mean the packages that guarantee you a specific group of players?

If you have enough cash saved up, and a decent reserve of gold, you can increase the odds tremendously in drafting 5 star players. In your case, you are only looking for pitchers? If so, remember there are quite a few players you can draw that are 5 star, but not pitchers. In any event, drying up the pool of lower tier players is time consuming and I can attest, creates a lag in game play. Because of this, I chose not to draft the late rounders.
  • Options
    thesheriff33thesheriff33 Registered Users 97 Posts
    Yeah, I meant the positional player packs that only contain starting pitchers. I'm mostly concerned with my starting pitchers right now since my best pitcher is Gio Gonzalez 7/4/7. Right now I'm playing the legends team, and they pound my pitching (14+ runs in 5 innings). I need a right handed stud pitcher like Cueto, Tanaka, Darvish, or King Felix.
  • Options
    Ughh!!! Stay away from the positional draft picks.

If, and I predicate my statement with "if" you clean out all late rounders and 2nd rounders, you will stand a better chance to land a quality pitcher with a starting pitcher positional draft. There are still quite a few duds you can still draw though, and nothing is guaranteed.

From personal experience, King Felix and Cueto are the best all around right handers. Meaning quality stats against humans and computer.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    You are probably in the 30s by know I presume? You are indeed the Slayer of Legends!!!

I have slowed up quite a bit. I had spent lots of time doing the 5 star tourneys which do not count toward legend wins. After that I played even less. Best to my knowledge I have 25 series wins. Since that one, I've very slowly earned legend wins. I'm sure you will pass me very soon. With Cueto and Hernandez, the 1-2 punch has made facing them a lot easier. They still give me fits, though. I do look forward to when Glu changes the rotation up.