Options

Top 5 pitching starters if the best were removed

Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
Let's say we take the top 5 pitching starters on this game away. Which 5 starters would you choose? They can be 5 star starters or less. So we remove the top 5 five star rated based on their high stuff numbers of 9. (Which there are currently only five 5 star pitchers with that stuff rating) So based on this we remove...

Cueto 769
Sale 989
Hernandez 799
Kershaw 999
Fernandez 959

What would be the next 5 starters you would choose...
(And Lawman, Tankaka is out for you)

Comments

• Options
    dtrain987dtrain987 Registered Users 198 Posts
    Kluber 8/8/8
    Duffy 4/3/9
    Lester 7/8/8
    Shoemaker 6/9/8
    Darvish 9/4/8

I'm not big on Tanaka really, I've crushed him quite a bit. I think Duffy is very underrated also. I've heard good things about DeGrom but haven't really seen him much to have an opinion yet.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Scherzer 8/6/7
    Greinke 7/8/8
    Darvish 9/4/8
    Kluber 8/8/8
    Strasburg 8/9/7

In no particular order, I picked all right handers that happen to be 5 star rated. With the exception of Sale, I only use right hand pitchers and that goes for relievers as well. I actually have used each of of the pitchers I listed in my starting rotation recently. Greinke did very well, as did Darvish and Scherzer. Strasburg and Kluber were hit pretty hard.

Alas, Tanaka has been relegated to inactives!
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    I've tried all 5* pitchers, and every one gets hit hard. But I was surprised by how well Teheran 5/8/8 and Pineda 3/9/8 performed. Teheran is having a 3.00 ERA after 125 games, 1.07 WHIP. Pineda 2.67 ERA 0.95 WHIP after 60 games. Both guys gave me consistently good outings vs human and CPU.
  • Options
    yaybaseballyaybaseball Registered Users 98 Posts
    solarmen wrote: »
    I've tried all 5* pitchers, and every one gets hit hard. But I was surprised by how well Teheran 5/8/8 and Pineda 3/9/8 performed. Teheran is having a 3.00 ERA after 125 games, 1.07 WHIP. Pineda 2.67 ERA 0.95 WHIP after 60 games. Both guys gave me consistently good outings vs human and CPU.
    duffy and pineda are really surprisingly good. i actually lost of the first time in a long time to a human who pitched pineda against me. everytime i thought i was going to crush a pitch, it was just a weak ground out. he's very deceptive despite his very low velocity.

also, i don't think 9 stuff = best pitchers. fernandez and kershaw are easy to hit though felix, cueto and sale have done very well for me.

i have every pitcher and i use madbum and darvish in my current rotation so they would have to be on this list. kluber and lester would also make it. and finally, i'd probably use pineda.

if we're talking against the computer, i'd probably go kluber, greinke, strasburg, pineda, darvish.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    duffy and pineda are really surprisingly good. i actually lost of the first time in a long time to a human who pitched pineda against me. everytime i thought i was going to crush a pitch, it was just a weak ground out. he's very deceptive despite his very low velocity.

also, i don't think 9 stuff = best pitchers. fernandez and kershaw are easy to hit though felix, cueto and sale have done very well for me.

i have every pitcher and i use madbum and darvish in my current rotation so they would have to be on this list. kluber and lester would also make it. and finally, i'd probably use pineda.

if we're talking against the computer, i'd probably go kluber, greinke, strasburg, pineda, darvish.

I am not necessarily saying they are the best in this game. Just based on the stats they present currently. Obviously, Kershaw is very hittable. But these 5 pitchers are the only 5 star with 5 stuff. And to me stuff outranks speed and control. It just seems the players that I face that have almost all the players tend to have these 5 as their starters. Me included. Just was thinking about a change of pace. Liking the ideas guys. You all make good arguments. In no particular order I would go with Lester,Darvish, Degrom, Wainwright and either Scherzer or Hamels.
  • Options
    bizzlebizzle Registered Users 75 Posts
    Jon Lester is very hard to hit IMO. He has a sweeping sidearm curve and 3 different fast***** I believe.
  • Options
    champ_beauchampchamp_beauchamp Registered Users 79 Posts
    ~Lawman~ wrote: »
    Scherzer 8/6/7
    Greinke 7/8/8
    Darvish 9/4/8
    Kluber 8/8/8
    Strasburg 8/9/7

In no particular order, I picked all right handers that happen to be 5 star rated. With the exception of Sale, I only use right hand pitchers and that goes for relievers as well. I actually have used each of of the pitchers I listed in my starting rotation recently. Greinke did very well, as did Darvish and Scherzer. Strasburg and Kluber were hit pretty hard.

Alas, Tanaka has been relegated to inactives!

I wholeheartedly agree with this list.