How would you spend this gold?

Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
Hey all,

I'm up to 1000 gold now but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to spend it on. Should I upgrade skills? Get draft picks? Keep saving? I'm really not to sure what to do in order to maximize my team.

I think this is all the relevant info one would need to make a decision:

My team:

Hitters-

J. Lucroy - 8 4 4
J. Morneau - 9 5 2
R. Cano - 9 4 5
A. Rendon - 7 6 6
Alexei Ramirez - 7 5 9
C. Crawford - 7 3 9
M. Kemp - 7 7 5
J. Werth - 8 6 4
E. Encarnacion - 6 9 3

Subs:
N. Arenado - 7 6 3
J. Reyes - 7 3 9
M. Adams - 7 6 3

PITCHING:
A. Cobb - 6 6 8
J. Teheran - 5 8 8
A. Wood - 7 6 8
D. Holland - 6 7 7
H. Bailey - 6 6 7

Relievers:
D. Otero - 2 9 8
T. Rosenthal - 9 3 8
K. Herrera - 8 4 8
K. Yates - 9 5 7
S. Cishek - 9 5 8

SKILLS:
Offense-

Hitting Coach 6/9
Base Coach 6/9
Trainer 6/9

Defense-

Pitching Coach 6/9
Pitch Calling 6/9
Catcher Arm 5/9
Infield Hands 5/9
Outfield Hands 5/9
Outfield Arms 5/9

Currently, I'm thinking that my offense is pretty good. I usually can score a decent amount of runs. I seem to give up a lot of runs though, so maybe invest in some pitching skills? Or pay 300 gold for a "postion draft" for free agent starter/relievers? Or should I just buy up some first round picks and hope for the best?

Not sure if this info helps in the decision, but I am slowly "thinning the herd" in the player pool by hoarding my picks. I currently have 109 inactive players, 88 of which are late round picks.

Btw, that leads me to another question. Does it make any difference if I actually redeem those picks or not? Right now I just have them sitting there waiting to be claimed.

I usually draft by winning the 10k league and getting 12 or 15 purple rings and then doing the Championship Draft. I don't think any late rounders are in that player pool which is why I haven't redeemed them, but not sure.

I usually get junk players drafting that way, but its also how I got Werth, Kemp, and Ramirez. Haven't had much luck with pitching doing it that way with the exception of Teheran.

Hopefully I included enough info. Probably more than enough! LOL

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• WhompKingWhompKing Registered Users 21 Posts
    Right now, you could go with 5 first round draft picks. You might get lucky. You could use a better pitcher.
    Also, you could play the prime event. Try to get to the number one spot. That's 50 games you can try to get a streak with (100 gold to fill the five games up to keep the streak going) (do this only if the guy in first is around 250k or there are no hackers I guess.)
    Another way would be to buy a "best of the best" tournament for a five star player. It depends what league you are in I guess. That was something you left out I believe.
    If you are feeling lucky, go with #1 draft picks! The sale is going right now. I got a couple 4 1/2 star players out of 6 of them.
    with the prime event, if you get to 200k points, you get 800 gold back too. Gotta make sure you autoplay and win though! Lol.I believe you get a 4 star player for spending 1000 gold for this fan rewards event as well. Or is it 2k? Idk, but, those are my suggestions of what I would do.

Thanks for reading,

Whomper
  • Soxfanintx69Soxfanintx69 Registered Users 24 Posts
    Good advice Whomp! Thanks!

I am currently in the MVP League. I keep tanking the HOF playoffs ;)
  • TWWTWW Registered Users 74 Posts
    Best thing to do...save up for now. You'll want to spend the gold on coaching upgrades eventually, but if you're able to save up 10-20k gold (I don't know how fast you got the 1k), but wait to spend that on upgrades until there's a fan rewards event for a Prime player.
    When you guys talk about "fan rewards" do you mean what's going on now? Like you spend 10k gold you get Altuve, 20k Texeira, etc?

Do they ever have pitchers? I can't remember ever seeing one.

So take this event for example. If I spend 10k I get Altuve (9-2-9) but I already have Cano (9-4-5) so not much of an upgrade. Texeira would be great though!

I'm also not sure about the prime event. I'm not sure how people hack it, but it seems like they do. Not sure.

All of this is great advice guys. Thanks!
  • TWWTWW Registered Users 74 Posts
    yeah that's exactly what I mean Sox. There are pitchers but I think you have to acquire all the Prime batters first, which is a lot of gold.
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    i don't recommend spending on #1 and first round draft picks ever. i regret all the ones i've bought though thankfully i haven't bought too many. there's cheaper ways of getting players than spending gold. since you're in MVP just play the 15k league as much as you can and try to get second or third place. plus blue ring leagues for the elite drafts are good cuz they're just as good as #1 draft pick.

i'm basically in the same boat as you and i'm currently saving my gold up. gonna wait for there to be an upgrade sale and fan reward at the same time to maximize profit. gotta get my pitching and hitting up. i'm still at level 5 for all upgrades. gold is so hard to come by now though :/
    Does anyone know if the player pool is roughly the same in the 40 Green and 15 Blue drafts? Or is one better than the other?
  • spizzlospizzlo Registered Users 31 Posts
    i don't recommend spending on #1 and first round draft picks ever. i regret all the ones i've bought though thankfully i haven't bought too many. there's cheaper ways of getting players than spending gold. since you're in MVP just play the 15k league as much as you can and try to get second or third place. plus blue ring leagues for the elite drafts are good cuz they're just as good as #1 draft pick.

i'm basically in the same boat as you and i'm currently saving my gold up. gonna wait for there to be an upgrade sale and fan reward at the same time to maximize profit. gotta get my pitching and hitting up. i'm still at level 5 for all upgrades. gold is so hard to come by now though :/

Don't you want to use cash on upgrades though? Or you're assuming level 6 across the board? I don't like playing leagues because I feel like I need to save up for upgrades.
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    spizzlo wrote: »
    Don't you want to use cash on upgrades though? Or you're assuming level 6 across the board? I don't like playing leagues because I feel like I need to save up for upgrades.

yes you do but for level 6-9 you have to use gold. cash is not an option for those upgrades. once you get all level 5 upgrades, leagues/tournies are pretty much the only thing you can use money for. late and second round draft picks should be kinda pointless by then.