Which 3rd baseman?

jays9293jays9293 Registered Users 18 Posts
I've lucked into a glut of good 3rd baseman. 2 from drafting, one from a tournament. Looking for advice on which I should keep.

Manny Machado (R) 7/5/4
Kyle Seager (L) 6/8/5
Josh Donaldson (R) 5/9/4

I love Donaldson's power (AB/HR of 7.8 so far), but not sure if the extra power makes up for the 5 hitting.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Tony167Tony167 Registered Users 392 Posts
    I had a lot of success with seager and machado. I went back and forth with them. I've never used Donaldson so don't have much input on him
  • K-DK-D Registered Users 378 Posts
    Used Donaldson for a while til I got much better hitter ranking. Donaldson will only hit very very low .200's for your better to go with hitting
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    i'd need to see the rest of your lineup to give you my full opinion. right now i'm thinking either Donaldson or Seager but i could also see Machado possibly being the best choice depending on the rest of your team.

it's not the popular opinion around here, but cutting someone solely on the basis that they have/will have a low batting average is foolish. it would be like cutting Shaq because he sucked at free throws. batting average is just one category, and a pretty meaningless one if you ignore most/all of a player's other stats.

i have Colby Rasmus (L) 5/9/4 and he's been great for me so i imagine Donaldson would be great as well, especially if you don't have any other power hitters. just to put something into perspective for you, if Donaldson (in real life) had a 7.8 AB/HR, he'd have 50 homeruns in the MLB (19 more than the current home run leader). if he totals 600+ ABs like he did last year, he'd break the single season record with 77 HRs in a season. hell even if he only got to 550 ABs he'd still pass McGwire's record with 71.

i could see Seager being a good choice too though. the fact that he's left handed is a good advantage. if you already have good power than i'd take him over Donaldson.

the only way i think i'd take Machado is if you had about 4-5 power hitters with low hit ratings (which i highly doubt you do but figured i'd mention it anyway). having some power is good, but just like in real life you should have a mix of contact and power hitters.
  • jays9293jays9293 Registered Users 18 Posts
    BommbsOverBaghdad, of course you're right - it all depends on the team.

Here's my lineup
    C- B. McCann (L) 4/9/1
    1B - A. Gonzalez (L) 7/7/2
    2B - D. Gordon (L) 7/1/9
    3B - This is the question
    SS - J. Reyes (B) 7/3/9
    OF - A. Jones (R) 7/7/4
    OF - C. Gomez (R) 7/7/9
    OF - G. Stanton (R) 7/9/5
    DH - D. Ortiz (L) 6/9/1

SUB - C. Blackmon (L) 7/5/9 (OF)
    SUB - J. Loney (L) 8/3/2 (1B)
    SUB - M. Holliday (R) 7/6/3 (OF)

So good mix of L/R, power from both sides. I can see strong arguments for any of the 3 3RD basemans I have.
  • Tony167Tony167 Registered Users 392 Posts
    I'd go with seager with that lu. Just my opinion tho
  • BommbsOverBaghdadBommbsOverBaghdad Registered Users 163 Posts
    jays9293 wrote: »
    BommbsOverBaghdad, of course you're right - it all depends on the team.

Here's my lineup
    C- B. McCann (L) 4/9/1
    1B - A. Gonzalez (L) 7/7/2
    2B - D. Gordon (L) 7/1/9
    3B - This is the question
    SS - J. Reyes (B) 7/3/9
    OF - A. Jones (R) 7/7/4
    OF - C. Gomez (R) 7/7/9
    OF - G. Stanton (R) 7/9/5
    DH - D. Ortiz (L) 6/9/1

SUB - C. Blackmon (L) 7/5/9 (OF)
    SUB - J. Loney (L) 8/3/2 (1B)
    SUB - M. Holliday (R) 7/6/3 (OF)

So good mix of L/R, power from both sides. I can see strong arguments for any of the 3 3RD basemans I have.

yeah i think i'd lean more towards Seager. Jhonny Peralta (R 6/7/3) for me has 19.5 AB/HR so with Seager's 8 power and lefthandedness i predict he'll have like a 15 AB/HR at most plus a decent average. you already have 6 starters with 7 hit so Machado wouldn't make much of a difference imo, especially since his speed is bleh. 3 guys with 9 power and 3 more with 7 is plenty of power so Donaldson isn't really necessary.

but on the other hand, if you keep Donaldson in and his AB/HR stays below 10, i'd stick with him for a while. Rasmus for me is only at a 10.1. i'm guessing Donaldson for you is just a bit lucky but might wanna consider keeping him in if he's got a hot streak going.

so yeah, Seager. maybe Donaldson. no to Machado.