Options

Hit Wall at Superstar - Need Advice from Heavy Hitters

My team is pretty stacked hitting wise (I have three 5 stars - Harper, Votto, Moreland and the rest good 4 stars and above), but my pitching is terrible (no 5 star pitchers at all, but no one under 4 stars). I usually have to put 15 runs up in a game just to win. Any advice from any from the heavy hitters in here?

I have put all of the pitchers I have with the best stuff rating in my lineup. No one has less than 7 stuff, but no one has better than 8 stuff.

Should I spend all of my gold/blue money on Upgrades? I hesitate to do that because I like to have roughly 100k in blue money in the bank to help my club with the weekly events.

Here are my upgrade levels:

Hitting Coach: 13
Base Coach: 13
Trainer: 13

Pitching Coach: 13
Pitch Calling: 12
All the rest of the defensive categories: 8

Should I try and join an advanced club (my currently club is regularly top 25, but I haven't gotten a top 5 since the first week or so this came out)? I'm good for 50-100k per prime event on my own and am regularly #1 or #2 in my club's participation.

Any advice on whether or not to promote myself? Should I hang out in superstar for a while longer?

Should I trade in all the 4 star inactives I have for #1 picks? I have roughly twenty 4 star inactives. My track record with this has not been good! I feel like i usually get a 3 star in return for the four/five 4 stars it takes to get a #1 pick.

Just feel like I'm a bit stuck in a rut, as I have not pulled a player that could crack my lineup in about a month or so. Anybody else in a similar situation?

Comments

• Options
    MvpdonaldsonMvpdonaldson Registered Users 146 Posts
    1. Stop wasting your cash upgrading base coach.

2. Join a good club. If you are using your cash for club events and not upgrades, you need to be in a club that is getting prime players, or at least enough draft picks for you to improve your team.

3. For ranking up, I personally like to avoid it as long as possible so I can go for top ranking in compete categories. But again being in a club and getting rewards for big streaks is critical to improving your team.
  • Options
    UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    I hit a wall with one of my teams as well, but things are turning around. Some of the mistakes I made were spending too much on players and not enough on upgrades. Then, it's spending on the wrong upgrades. Getting good players makes the game more fun, but getting the right upgrades makes you a much better team (and it's also better bang for your buck).

I can't argue against someone who can spend tons of money on that game. I'm coming from getting the most of out the little money I spend.

There's been some posts on here about which upgrades to get. I don't necessarily disagree with those posts, but check your team stats. Check how you're doing against your opponents and decide where you need to improve. Every team is different. Play to your strengths and compensate for your teams weaknesses to the point that they don't hurt you too much. Upgrading the defensive categories doesn't make the game more fun--it's always more fun to get lots of hits--but defence does win games. Pitching is always important. Also don't underestimate outfield hands. One error in the outfield usually means two bases. An error in the infield can get an opponent into scoring position.

I look at how my team is doing against opponents in each category and try to make sure that I'm a little better in most categories and a lot better in areas that my team is naturally good at.
  • Options
    UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    One thing I would add about the base coach upgrade is that it depends on whether you autoplay most of your games. You can't stop your runners from attempting to steal if you autoplay. If you don't keep that upgraded, you'll just get caught. That said, it does not need to be as high as your hitting or pitching. Again, check your stats and just make sure that you can live with your SB%/CS numbers.
  • Options
    DimePieceSlayersDimePieceSlayers Registered Users 27 Posts
    Cool - sounds like I should focus on upgrading my pitching and defense upgrades based on my ERA and the number of errors I have.

Does anyone have an opinion on the player trade in? I used to feel like if I kept my four star inactives locked the game would be forced to spit out a 4.4 or 5 star player, but I only seem to pull 3 stars now. Maybe it was just mental. Do the best tappers here just trade their 4 star and above inactives right away for #1 picks?

Also sounds like I need to join a club that competes for top 5 every time. Anybody have any room? I am willing to prove myself this weekend in the Prime event. Since I want to stay at superstar I wont be able to contribute much to the event tomorrow (bonus game event) as I have 112 of 125 superstar wins. With that being said, I wouldn't expect to join until Friday.
  • Options
    kns6791kns6791 Registered Users 10 Posts
    The more picks you have the better your odds are at getting 5* players. For the longest time I only had 2 5* pitchers but just this past week I got 5 more from picks. 3 starters and 2 relievers. If you have players that are inactive there is no reason to keep them in my mind.
  • Options
    astrosbaseball2016astrosbaseball2016 Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    Underdogs wrote: »
    One thing I would add about the base coach upgrade is that it depends on whether you autoplay most of your games. You can't stop your runners from attempting to steal if you autoplay. If you don't keep that upgraded, you'll just get caught. That said, it does not need to be as high as your hitting or pitching. Again, check your stats and just make sure that you can live with your SB%/CS numbers.

Base coach does much more than just stealing bases. If you're getting caught stealing a high percentage of the time while auto-playing, you should turn your "consider stealing" down. Base coach really helps with advancing on hits.
  • Options
    ndxndx Registered Users, Member 34 Posts
    DPS, I am in a similar situation, luckily the club I'm in is a good bunch and we have some laughs. I've stop trading players because I seem to always get **** back. I agree gameplan for you team strengths. At one point I had a bunch of speed guys so I set it higher to steal.