Options

Probabilities of winning prizes from Boxes/Collections Drawings

kingerkinger Registered Users 4 Posts
Does Glu publish the probabilities/odds of winning prizes in the various mystery boxes or daily collections drawings anywhere?

To me its kind of like gambling, I mean if you look at the fine print of a lottery ticket it will tell the odds of winning; and the same goes for any radio contest or fast food promotional contest. I think it would be nice to know so that we had a vague idea how much something would cost before tossing thousands and thousands of gold away.

Comments

• Options
    MvpdonaldsonMvpdonaldson Registered Users 146 Posts
    kinger wrote: »
    Does Glu publish the probabilities/odds of winning prizes in the various mystery boxes or daily collections drawings anywhere?

To me its kind of like gambling, I mean if you look at the fine print of a lottery ticket it will tell the odds of winning; and the same goes for any radio contest or fast food promotional contest. I think it would be nice to know so that we had a vague idea how much something would cost before tossing thousands and thousands of gold away.

I mean, except for the palpable outrage from 95% of the player base. Can you imagine when they show that 1/1000 is your chance of getting Nolan Ryan?
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    kinger wrote: »

Many states require odds be published and stated on the product and in all advertising material. I'm going to guess because gold is given at the start and can be obtained for free, it somehow gets past the criteria for that law.

At the same time, you'd have a really tough time successfully arguing this game is akin to gambling. It's not like you can play a slot machine for free. You don't have to pay for this.

I would say, though, you can get a pretty solid reasonable guess that any of those are likely to cost somewhere around 20-30k gold, just simply by comparative analysis with the players they give away in Fan Rewards. They cost 20-30k, so logically, odds are probably around whatever 20-30k gold would be, i.e. 1-in-15-to-20.
  • Options
    Cooz19 wrote: »
    Many states require odds be published and stated on the product and in all advertising material. I'm going to guess because gold is given at the start and can be obtained for free, it somehow gets past the criteria for that law.

At the same time, you'd have a really tough time successfully arguing this game is akin to gambling. It's not like you can play a slot machine for free. You don't have to pay for this.

I would say, though, you can get a pretty solid reasonable guess that any of those are likely to cost somewhere around 20-30k gold, just simply by comparative analysis with the players they give away in Fan Rewards. They cost 20-30k, so logically, odds are probably around whatever 20-30k gold would be, i.e. 1-in-15-to-20.

They get around it by having it within the video game. EA doesn't publish any of the probabilities for any of its sports games Ultimate team packs (the mode of the game most similar to Tap). Also none of our accounts have any financial worth, and you sure as **** couldn't sue Glu if you lost your team. T&C would most certainly cover those liabilities, and make it clear that any items purchased on this game are bereft of any type of monetary value.
  • Options
    IamWeToddDidIamWeToddDid Registered Users, Member 333 Posts
    They get around it by having it within the video game. EA doesn't publish any of the probabilities for any of its sports games Ultimate team packs (the mode of the game most similar to Tap). Also none of our accounts have any financial worth, and you sure as **** couldn't sue Glu if you lost your team. T&C would cover those liabilities, and make it clear that any items purchased on this game are bereft of any type of monetary value.

So you're saying that I could buy $1000 worth of gold right now and in 2 mins they can delete my account and there would be no way to take legal action to recoup the money?
  • Options
    So you're saying that I could buy $1000 worth of gold right now and in 2 mins they can delete my account and there would be no way to take legal action to recoup the money?

I am not saying there is none. I am saying that without a very good IP legal team and some serious resources its pretty unlikely you would ever see that money. And even if you did have those things you would spend well over the $1000 to get it back.

I guess you could try to take it up with iTunes, but realistically you wouldn't likely recoup that money.

You could put a stop-pay with your bank before the money went out, or report it as fraudulent. But you would have to keep that money in esgrow until the matter had been settled in court years from now.
  • Options
    I am not saying there is none. I am saying that without a very good IP legal team and some serious resources its pretty unlikely you would ever see that money. And even if you did have those things you would spend well over the $1000 to get it back.

I guess you could try to take it up with iTunes, but realistically you wouldn't likely recoup that money.

You could put a stop-pay with your bank before the money went out, or report it as fraudulent. But you would have to keep that money in esgrow until the matter had been settled in court years from now.

That's contradicting the fact that u said that the T&C would cover those liabilities...now you're saying it's simply not worth the effort with how much it would cost verse how much you would recover
  • Options
    That's contradicting the fact that u said that the T&C would cover those liabilities...now you're saying it's simply not worth the effort with how much it would cost verse how much you would recover

I am saying that the legal system is fluid and can be significantly more beneficial to one side or another based on the magnitude of the company, the resources of the plaintiff etc.

I didn't read this specific T&C top to bottom, but I am familiar with the conditions that would be included based on industry standards. Since I didn't read the entire thing, I am hesitant to put my *** on the line and guarantee the presence of that clause in this specific case. That being said, I would consider it highly unlikely if it were not there.

Don't just try to pick holes in my reasoning, you are out of your depth and merely trying to twist my words around to be clever.

Next time I won't bother answering your questions if you are just going to come back with "look an out of context contradiction hurr hurr"
  • Options
    Lol...don't get upset with me because you claim to be a lawyer but contradict yourself or speak without knowledge (doesn't seem like good practice for a lawyer) and it's not the first instance on this forum where you've made statements where I question if u are a lawyer or simply not a good one

You tell me not to twist words but isn't that what virtually every lawyer does?
  • Options
    Also my apologies for calling you out on your contradictions, I'm sure you'll make a great politician one day
  • Options
    2015Seahawks2015Seahawks Registered Users 36 Posts
    Companies try to [explative] their customers over fine print in the T of C all the time. Sometimes they are enforceable, and someimes they are not. What I can can tell you is that it is certainly is not honeset to imply their is a 1 in 8 chance of winning Legend Nolan Ryan, when the odds are actually 1 in 50.
  • Options
    Also my apologies for calling you out on your contradictions, I'm sure you'll make a great politician one day

Ill go ahead and address both things here. One, after claiming that those types of liabilities would likely be covered by the T&C, I went on to explain additional reasons for why a suit of that nature would be an unwise decision. I did not contradict anything, merely added additional insight.

Your comment about my posts on these forums is pretty weak, you claime sometimes you think I might not be a lawyer. Why does your judgement mean anything? I think I have demonstrated a much higher level of knowledge about the given topic, and your credentials for criticizing my knowledge are nonexistent. They dont ask the dumbest kid in class what they think of the valedictorian's speech.

You tried to find a contradiction where there was none, you've made some sort of vapid insult about my alleged contradictions making me a future politician, as if they was remotely relevant to the topic at all. You made up the contradiction when you misinterpreted what I said. And then go on to claim that because of some stereotypical aphorism about lawyers twisting words you have the right to try to twist mine.

But again please cite your info for questioning all of what I said, especially when my express purpose was in trying to answer questions and inform people. It's certainly more noble that cruising around on forums trying to twist advice into some sort of contradiction on a topic you know absolutely nothing about.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to twist anything, I asked a question based on information you said, your response completely contradicted your previous statement, I called you out. Now you are trying to back track because it's obvious you were wrong and can't man up and admit it. So then you infer that I am the dumbest kid in class and you are a valedictorian, which is hilarious because if that's what you are suggesting, than the dumbest kid in school proved to be smarter than the valedictorian.

So just man up, admit you made a mistake and let's move on, it happens to everyone
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to twist anything, I asked a question based on information you said, your response completely contradicted your previous statement, I called you out. Now you are trying to back track because it's obvious you were wrong and can't man up and admit it. So then you infer that I am the dumbest kid in class and you are a valedictorian, which is hilarious because if that's what you are suggesting, than the dumbest kid in school proved to be smarter than the valedictorian.

So just man up, admit you made a mistake and let's move on, it happens to everyone

Are you seriously that misguided that you still see a contradiction there? I can argue with a wall, whose only retorts to my claims are that somehow you are smarter because you made up a contradiction that isn't even there.

You man up and admit it, you know nothing about what you are talking about as I have continued to point out.

But no no you are right, the fact that I claimed it was covered in T&C and then pointed out that is possible it's not in there is the same thing as talking out your *** about a topic you clearly don't understand.

Did you finish high school? Can you not recognize when you are so far out of your depth? How many of the words I used did you have to google?

In what way did you prove yourself smarter? You've literally said nothing even remotely related to intellectual property law, or whether or not liability would be covered by the terms and conditions of use, you just keep claiming that you got one on me because of a contradiction that literally didn't happen.

I'm blatantly calling you out to add any info on the topic other than trying to make up nonsense about my arguments. Copy and paste your wikipedia info if you. Just provide something to the conversation.
  • Options
    2weighlift wrote: »
    Acts like a chick, talks like a chick, argues like a chick. Definitely a chick. SD disease. It is what it is. Have a good day.

I forgot, I take it back. 2nd dumbest kid in class, this meathead is the one with the negative IQ
  • Options
    What do I need to add to the discussion? you said it's covered in their T&C and that there is no means for recourse, then when I give a scenario similar to what was described, you flip and just say it's not worth the effort...that was the point, that you contradicted yourself and obviously your feelings are now hurt, so you have to lash out acting supercilious (proven by assuming I have to google the words you use)

Answer this question...did u state that it was covered in the T&C then say afterward in the scenario given using $1000 worth of gold , say that action could be taken but you would in essence have to spend more than you would recoup?
  • Options
    aTownDownaTownDown Registered Users 271 Posts
    Just use a cheat like ROBOTS, and then the probabilities won't matter. You can buy unlimited boxes!
  • Options
    gocubsgo0128gocubsgo0128 Registered Users, Member 272 Posts
    What do I need to add to the discussion? you said it's covered in their T&C and that there is no means for recourse, then when I give a scenario similar to what was described, you flip and just say it's not worth the effort...that was the point, that you contradicted yourself and obviously your feelings are now hurt, so you have to lash out acting supercilious (proven by assuming I have to google the words you use)

Answer this question...did u state that it was covered in the T&C then say afterward in the scenario given using $1000 worth of gold , say that action could be taken but you would in essence have to spend more than you would recoup?

Both can be true...
    If it came to the point where legal action was to be taken the argument the GLU side is going to take is going to be this is address in the T&C. The plantiff would argue that its not, and they were wronged in the scenario. Ultimately the court system would decide.
    That being said if a client came into an honest attorneys office (oxymoron?) with this case they would likely advise you no to purse because the cost of their legal fee's would greatly outweigh the amount you can recoup.
  • Options

I can't even... You tried to use a big word to prove you know what you are talking about, and can't even use it properly. You can't act supercilious, its a adjective you simpleton. You can't act stupid, you act stupidly. See the difference? One's an adverb, one's an adjective. Please don't try to get into a legal argument if you can't even apply clearly googled words properly.

And cubs said something after so I will go and mention that too. There would be no decision for the court case, it's either in there or it's not and like i tried to explain to him, I am 99% sure it is in there, I just haven't read the exact specifics so I wasn't completely certain.

Todd, I wouldn't talk out my *** to a client the same way I would on the internet, and I would never have even pretended to give advice before doing my research on a specific case.

Last time a mobile app was sued over purchases was the Amazon case where some parents brought a suit because they wouldn't refund a ton of expensive purchases by children. Court's ruled that the children's age was a factor, and they won. That was an issue of intent, and the judge overturned the clause in the T&C.

So, unless exigent circumstances arise in which you somehow lose the capacity to act in an autonomous manner, there is no recourse from the clause in the T&C. That being said, there are cases in which is it overturned, but again I reiterate that it would not be worth the time financially except in a few specific exceptional cases.

I don't know how much more I need to do to prove your ineptitude for the topic and really for the English language. I cannot believe you actually wrote "acting supercilious". I would laugh the opposition out of court for such a ridiculously mistaken sentence.

And I said it was likely in the T&C, but really would not be worth the trouble to look because it wouldn't be financially beneficial. You keep implying backtracking but I really was just giving a professional opinion based on my knowledge of the industry, and then trying to point out that anyone with a brain could realize it's unlikely to be a profitable endeavour.
  • Options

Todd, I wouldn't talk out my *** to a client the same way I would on the internet, and I would never have even pretended to give advice before doing my research on a specific case.

I'm sure you would do your due diligence when it comes to working a case, I was very simply ( as I am a weTodd) pointing out that your statements contradicted each other...you disagree and are making it out to be way more than what it is, nevertheless you can stick to your beliefs and I will stick to mine. You can also correct grammar and use big words, it doesn't make you any better or worse of a person than anyone else, just makes it seem that you have to prove yourself to others.

If you want to go on another rant and make analogies that my opinion doesn't matter, feel free, I spent years defending to uphold the rights to free speech among others. However I am done with this conversation. Take care and have a good day
  • Options
    Lol...don't get upset with me because you claim to be a lawyer but contradict yourself or speak without knowledge (doesn't seem like good practice for a lawyer) and it's not the first instance on this forum where you've made statements where I question if u are a lawyer or simply not a good one

You tell me not to twist words but isn't that what virtually every lawyer does?

Lol! Because of how one acts and talks on an online forum for a VIDEO GAME makes him that much less of a lawyer? That's like saying, because you used "u" in your comment rather than typing it out formally, you're improper and do not deserve whatever occupation you currently have.
  • Options
    aTownDown wrote: »
    Lol! Because of how one acts and talks on an online forum for a VIDEO GAME makes him that much less of a lawyer? That's like saying, because you used "u" in your comment rather than typing it out formally, you're improper and do not deserve whatever occupation you currently have.
    1 I said I wasn't continuing the discussion but this is a different topic

2 I never said he was any less of a lawyer, just said it wasn't good practice for a lawyer in that regards, the statement in question he clarified in his last post and I gave him credit (had u read the entire thread)

3 My line of work has limited space to work with at times so acronyms and abbreviations are common practice and acceptable
  • Options
    2 I never said he was any less of a lawyer, just said it wasn't good practice for a lawyer in that regards, the statement in question he clarified in his last post and I gave him credit (had u read the entire thread)

I did read it all, just seemed to me that your credit was a little facetious considering you continued to argue.
    And I wasn't serious about you not deserving your job, just pointing out that what he talks about on an online video game forum doesn't decide whether or not he's a lawyer.
  • Options
    aTownDown wrote: »
    I did read it all, just seemed to me that your credit was a little facetious considering you continued to argue.
    And I wasn't serious about you not deserving your job, just pointing out that what he talks about on an online video game forum doesn't decide whether or not he's a lawyer.
    I agree it doesn't have a reflection on how he performs his job, he sounds very knowledgeable and I was never arguing that point, simply that there was a contradiction

I did question at one point if he was a good lawyer, which in hindsight was bad judgement on my part, but that was my opinion at the time. However, (as was stated in a previous post) the opinion of the second dumbest kid in class doesn't matter
  • Options
    2weighlift2weighlift Registered Users 66 Posts
    No way Todd. It's your turn to be the dumbest kid in the class (:
  • Options
    Lol, that's never been the case, but people can think what they want...at the end of the day I know where my team stands in this game, and I've helped enough clubs out that I can literally not do anything on the weekend event and get the rewards...never had to sandbag or spend a lot of money ( not that there's anything wrong with either strategy) just play to win and build bridges
  • Options
    I agree it doesn't have a reflection on how he performs his job, he sounds very knowledgeable and I was never arguing that point, simply that there was a contradiction

I did question at one point if he was a good lawyer, which in hindsight was bad judgement on my part, but that was my opinion at the time. However, (as was stated in a previous post) the opinion of the second dumbest kid in class doesn't matter

Well alright, I didn't get this image at all. From your tone and the things you said you seemed to be calling my knowledge into question. I agree what I said was ambiguous, and tried to go about clarifying my point, albeit in a holier-than-thou douchebag kind of way.

Questioning is good, however I felt as though I had provided enough information as to solidify my status as at least a reasonably knowledgeable party in the discussion. Your comments pertaining to that were the primary reason I felt the need to out-argue you.

@weighlift - you are still the dumbest kid in class, weTodd at least strung some sentences together.
  • Options
    ZombieNation108ZombieNation108 Registered Users, Member 86 Posts
    I asked glu directly about the odds for pulling players from boxes and draft picks and they told me it was completely random, which is obviously not true because you'd have to have some sort of input/output programmed into the distribution of players. Sigh...
  • Options
    I asked glu directly about the odds for pulling players from boxes and draft picks and they told me it was completely random, which is obviously not true because you'd have to have some sort of input/output programmed into the distribution of players. Sigh...

I had a bunch of club mystery boxes saved up...just opened 20 over a couple accounts, got gold in 2