Options

1st inning runs scored against.

Strieg3Strieg3 Registered Users 16 Posts
I have played 6150 games and am currently at Grand Master level. I noticed early on that my team seemed to give up an inordinate amount of runs in the 1st inning. This carried through every level and every pitcher so I recently tracked it over a 100 game stretch. Here are the numbers. 78 of 100 games my pitcher gave up 1st inning runs. It varied between 1 and 8 but averaged out at 3.5 runs. Of those 78 games I lost 37 of them and of those I lost by the exact amount of runs I gave up in the 1st inning. It didn't matter who was pitching as it was spread pretty much equally across my staff. So my question to anyone from glu is how is that possible? I've spoken to people in my club and some have experienced this issue and some have not. To me it seems like a programming issue but since it's been happening almost since I started playing the game and over many different pitchers then I don't know if that's a viable theory. At any rate I would like some qualified input from someone that works for glu.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TampaRoyalsTampaRoyals Registered Users 95 Posts
    It's a hitters game. You score a lot of runs and give up a lot of runs, especially at higher levels. In how many games did your pitchers give up 3rd inning runs? 5th inning? 7th inning?

Unless you're giving up 1st inning runs in 78/100 games and runs in other innings individually in something like, say, 48/100 games, then there's probably not anything else to chalk it up to.

If you really want to do some research, play 100 more games and track how many runs you give up in each respective inning. If you want to keep it the most consistent, then use the same starter in every game using an ice pack.
  • Options
    Look I get that it's a hitters game and really one could write a book about all the non sense that happens in this game. To me the 1st inning runs scored against is the most irritating. Tracking runs in every inning does not address my concern. Giving up an absurd amount of runs in the 1st inning combined with losing a good amount of those games by the exact amount of runs scored against in the 1st is too coincidental in my opinion.
  • Options
    Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    I don't think you'll get input from anyone from glu... God help u if u think you will.
  • Options
    Sadly you are probably right but I had to get it out there.
  • Options
    Strieg3 wrote: »
    Look I get that it's a hitters game and really one could write a book about all the non sense that happens in this game. To me the 1st inning runs scored against is the most irritating. Tracking runs in every inning does not address my concern. Giving up an absurd amount of runs in the 1st inning combined with losing a good amount of those games by the exact amount of runs scored against in the 1st is too coincidental in my opinion.

Are your relievers more highly rated than your starters? Could be that your starters are getting shelled early on.

I don't really notice any inning getting more runs than others. I'm not saying you're lying or not right, but we tend to remember runs given up in the 1st and 9th innings more than all of the innings in between.
  • Options
    One has nothing to do with the other. Obviously my starters are giving up the runs since it's the 1st inning so my relievers would not be part of the equation regardless of their rating. Please don't speculate as its not helpful. I've put a lot of time and thought into this and I didn't go into it with tunnel vision. I'm aware of the amount of runs given up throughout the game and in my experience it doesn't compare to the consistent 1st inning issue. A 78 percent rate is quite high.
  • Options
    Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    I'm not probably right... at best you may get an I'm sorry reply from someone but I'm laughing if u think someone will actually help. I love this game but my eyes have been opened about the company...they don't care about cheating bc when it's reported and evidence is provided , nothing is done... A forum saying otherwise by one member trying to right the wrong isn't evidence of company policy changing either... You want proof? Try sending customer service your inquiry/problem... Wait 3 weeks... And you'll only then get a cut and pasted response that doesn't answer your question and leaves u more upset... Try to enjoy the game as best u can and avoid the company
  • Options
    One has nothing to do with the other. Obviously my starters are giving up the runs since it's the 1st inning so my relievers would not be part of the equation regardless of their rating. Please don't speculate as its not helpful. I've put a lot of time and thought into this and I didn't go into it with tunnel vision. I'm aware of the amount of runs given up throughout the game and in my experience it doesn't compare to the consistent 1st inning issue. A 78 percent rate is quite high.

As I said, you'd have to pick another random inning or two and re-do your "Tap Sports Baseball experiment." lol.

That's really the only evidence that YOU can bring on why the amount of 1st inning runs is ridiculous.

100 games is also not the biggest sample size either. I'm also big into research (in the health field), so that might be why I'm nit-picking here a bit :)
  • Options
    astrosbaseball2016astrosbaseball2016 Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    Did you happen to use a boost in those games? I notice when a boost is used, most of the time the other team scores a run in the first inning.
  • Options
    gocubsgo0128gocubsgo0128 Registered Users, Member 272 Posts
    I think his point of starters vs relievers is if your starters a mostly 4* guys and you have 5* and prime relievers it makes sense that you would give up more runs at the beginning of games compared to the end. I do agree that 78% of the time giving up a first inning run seems high. Out of curiosity is this more against human opponents or vs the computer. Another possibility in the first inning you are obviously facing the top of the order, at grand master I'm guessing most guys have a few legend and prime players, I know I have Brett Boone and he homers every 5 at bats, and bats .440. If your first 5 guys all have similar stats odds are you will give up a run in the first cus at least one should homer.
  • Options
    geaux_tigersgeaux_tigers Registered Users 30 Posts
    I have noticed this as well, and have gotten used to it. My only issue with it is if you are auto playing, and don't stop and play the next inning yourself, you're starting pitcher will get pulled if you give up five or more runs. If my RPs are coming in in the second inning, I'm screwed.
  • Options
    This is happening with or without out boosts. This has been happening long before my current level. This has been happening with all starting pitching thru most levels since novice, I only did the 100 game track at GM level. Currently and during my experiment all of my pitching is 5vstar including all relievers. All of my boosts are 18 thru 20. This only occurs during autoplay. 2 of my 5 starters are prime. Hmm..have I left anything else out for you all? Oh, wait my janitors, hot dog vendors and grounds keepers are all 5 star too. As I've tried to explain, this wasn't done shoot from the hip style. I put work into it and tried to include as many variables as possible. 100 games is a good sampling as it will show trends etc.
  • Options
    A couple of other notes. Yes, during my experiment I noted runs scored against in other innings and while still a bit high it was not close to the same rate as 1st inning. Is my research perfect? No. But it stills shows a 78 percent rate and really, who gives up that many runs in the 1st? That's starting 78 percent of one's games from behind. That number is crazy. Admittedly this game has a lot of nutty stuff and at times is more like Tap Sports Beer League Slow Pitch Softball than it is baseball but come on now, let's reign it in a bit and make these player's numbers actually mean something. I've played a lot of baseball games in my 53 years and have never seen anything like this.
  • Options
    I'm not probably right... at best you may get an I'm sorry reply from someone but I'm laughing if u think someone will actually help. I love this game but my eyes have been opened about the company...they don't care about cheating bc when it's reported and evidence is provided , nothing is done... A forum saying otherwise by one member trying to right the wrong isn't evidence of company policy changing either... You want proof? Try sending customer service your inquiry/problem... Wait 3 weeks... And you'll only then get a cut and pasted response that doesn't answer your question and leaves u more upset... Try to enjoy the game as best u can and avoid the company

I've had 2 dealings with customer service and both times they responded and resolved my issue. Maybe it's how you contacted them or the tone of your email or maybe you're right and they don't care. Either way if you don't ask you'll never know. Asking a question can change everything. If they don't answer then at the end of the day it becomes my choice as to whether I want to continue to play the game or not. I don't live my life by not asking questions because someone may not answer or I may not like the answer.
  • Options
    victorthigpenvictorthigpen Registered Users 66 Posts
    This absolutely does happen. It's awful on auto-play because my pitchers always give up a bunch in the first inning and then the relievers automatically come in and then also get rocked because they get tired and have to keep pitching. I have noticed it as well, I never did the experiment but your results don't surprise me. The only thing I can think of is obviously the other teams best hitters always bat in the first inning, while that isn't necessarily true in the other innings, but that doesn't explain such a high number of runs. I think it's just a flaw in the game but no chance they fix it.
  • Options
    I just went through and played 10 games; yes, this is an extremely small sample size. I'm at the grand master level. These are the results below.

via 10 games:
    1st inning-3 runs, scored in 2/10 innings
    2nd inning-7 runs, scored in 4/10 innings
    3rd inning-1 runs, scored in 1/10 innings
    4th inning-5 runs, scored in 4/10 innings
    5th inning-0 runs, scored in 0/10 innings
    6th inning-4 runs, scored in 2/10 innings
    7th inning-6 runs, scored in 5/10 innings
    8th inning-4 runs, scored in 3/10 innings
    9th inning-3 runs, scored in 3/10 innings

As you can see, the 2nd inning yielded the most runs. Teams scored against me in the 7th inning in 5 of the 10 games I played (50%). We gave up runs in 40% of the games in the 2nd and 4th inning.

We gave up the second fewest amount of TOTAL runs in the 1st inning, and we also gave up the second fewest amount runs given up percentage wise in the first inning as well.

Again, this is a very small sample size, and I'd like to have at least 300 games to average everything out, but these results don't indicate anything, at least for my team, to have any type of disadvantage during the 1st inning of games. If anything, it shows that it actually favors me in the 1st inning, as we give up fewer runs in this inning than the others besides the 5th inning.
  • Options
    That's great. As I said in my original post, in speaking with others in my club some have the issue some don't. The fact that you do not have the issue has no bearing at all on my issue so I'm really not sure what your driving at here.
  • Options
    That's great. As I said in my original post, in speaking with others in my club some have the issue some don't. The fact that you do not have the issue has no bearing at all on my issue so I'm really not sure what your driving at here.

Glu must have a personal vendetta against you and your team. "Let's troll Strieg3 by giving up all the runs in the 1st inning and hardly any in the others!!!" ;)
  • Options
    YUP! You've figured it out! Are you done now? Or are you that guy who's just gotta keep poking his 2 cents in even though it either not helpful, not welcome or just has no bearing on the issue at hand? How about you take your shenanigans to someone else's thread since it's becoming quite obvious that you're not here to be helpful.
  • Options
    YUP! You've figured it out! Are you done now? Or are you that guy who's just gotta keep poking his 2 cents in even though it either not helpful, not welcome or just has no bearing on the issue at hand? How about you take your shenanigans to someone else's thread since it's becoming quite obvious that you're not here to be helpful.

Maybe I'll go create a thread complaining about the amount of 7th inning runs I give up on a mobile app game.

I tried being helpful - simulate 100 more games and track how many runs you give up in each inning. Hell, sim 20 of them and report your data back here. I would love to see it. 78% over the long term in one inning and one inning only out of 9 innings is pretty insane, so track your next 10-100 games (however many you wish to do), and report back here with the results like in my post.

If those results continue and you're only giving up runs in 10-40% of other innings vs ~80% in the 1st, I'd be SHOCKED...and most likely I would chalk that up to your starting pitchers and not some defect (but again, I'd think the 2nd-3rd inning would be really bad also). As you can see in my post, I haven't had any issues with my 1st innings, but I do have 4 prime starting pitchers and the other is a 5*.
  • Options
    Ok one more time for the non English speaking or hearing impaired and I'll even speak slowly for you: This....has....been....happening....thru....all.....levels....with....all....starting.....pitchers.....Currently....all....of....my.....starters....are....5.....star....and....2....are....prime. I've..
    .been....seeing....this....issue....over....6000+....games. Holy cow dude what is your deal? I could care less what's happening on your game, this is about what I'm seeing on my game and why. For that matter there are others that have chimed in on this thread that are seeing the same. I'm not going to track another 100 or 1000 or even 10 games. I don't care about any other inning even though I've tracked those as well. That it's happening through all levels with all pitchers is a concern for me. So ok you don't have that issue, I got it and good for you. I understood that from your 1st post, didn't really need proof as I have no reason to doubt you but again, this is about what's happening in my game since almost day 1. Thanks for your input, please move along nothing else to see here.
  • Options
    I'm not going to track another 100 or 1000 or even 10 games. I don't care about any other inning even though I've tracked those as well.

I apologize if I offended you in any way.

All I was saying is to track your other innings, but since you've already done that, you already have the results. This is a hitters game.

Best of luck.