"Stuff" rating for pitchers

dmcnair81dmcnair81 Registered Users 20 Posts
What are the noticeable differences between a pitcher with a low stuff rating and a high stuff rating? I mean this for actual play and not auto play. Do curve***** break more and 2 seamers tail a little more or something? I guess I'm wondering what makes a pitcher with a 9 rating for stuff so much better than a pitcher with a 5 rating.

Comments

• Bartolo BombsquadBartolo Bombsquad Registered Users 58 Posts
    dmcnair81 wrote: »
    What are the noticeable differences between a pitcher with a low stuff rating and a high stuff rating? I mean this for actual play and not auto play. Do curve***** break more and 2 seamers tail a little more or something? I guess I'm wondering what makes a pitcher with a 9 rating for stuff so much better than a pitcher with a 5 rating.

It probably deals with something in the algorithm that determines hit probability.
  • Oakland RivercatsOakland Rivercats Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
    Simply put, the guy with lower stuff with allow more hits and thus more runs. Stuff is crucial. Its the difference between hard line drives and weak ground *****. Something right down the middle that gets flubbed to the pitcher...thank Stuff for that. Its the most important pitching stat.
  • WhorndawgsWhorndawgs Registered Users 29 Posts
    I would think that star rating should make some difference, but I have Fernandez and Sale, both 5* with 7 stuff and both have era's over 6.8, but have Lester and Cueto, both 4.5* with 7 stuff that have era's of 6.2. Finish it off with McCullers, a 4.5* with 8 stuff with era of 6.5. They all have over 1000 innings.
  • dmcnair81dmcnair81 Registered Users 20 Posts
    So stuff is not anything noticeable when actually playing the game. A pitcher with stuff 3 and the same arm and control rating as well as the same pitches as someone with stuff 9 won't appear to be doing anything different. It's just the difference between a well timed swing being a line drive into the gap or a dinky ground ball to 2nd.
  • blueskiesblueskies Registered Users, Member 54 Posts
    Yes I've noticed that the difference is in the result of contact with a pitch. I've hit straight FBs or changeups with nothing on them that's down the middle from guys with 8 or 9 stuff ratings and hit lazy flybals or slow grounders. Against lesser stuff pitchers, those bals are liners or homers.

On a side note, the tailing fastbals give me the most trouble. They look like fastbal strikes until the last second and they dive and break like a screwball. Pitchers could have a rating of 1. If they have a high ARM rating, those tailing FBs would still get me most times.

EDIT: It seems the forum censors the word b a l l so I had to go back and misspelled it.
  • gocubsgo0128gocubsgo0128 Registered Users, Member 272 Posts
    Whorndawgs wrote: »
    I would think that star rating should make some difference, but I have Fernandez and Sale, both 5* with 7 stuff and both have era's over 6.8, but have Lester and Cueto, both 4.5* with 7 stuff that have era's of 6.2. Finish it off with McCullers, a 4.5* with 8 stuff with era of 6.5. They all have over 1000 innings.

Unless you reset stats its tough to really compare guys if you acquired them at different times. As you go up in ranking you obviously face tougher competition. So even if the lower rated guys have "better" era's it could have been against worse competition.