Options

DolphinfanDolphinfan Registered Users 47 Posts
For everyone that has all legends and primes please stop reading because you don't have this problem. I don't care how you got them. For the average player I'm confused.

I have 3 of's to choose from. all 3 1/2 stars:

7 4 3
5 5 5
3 9 6

Which do I start? Is Power better than hitting? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    astrosbaseball2016astrosbaseball2016 Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    I always preferred hitting. I'd go with the 7 4 guy hands down.
  • Options
    nexxus6nexxus6 Banned Users 108 Posts
    Dee Gordon at 9-1-9 performes better than an 8-2-6. Just saying. High hit is better than power
  • Options
    ariusvideoariusvideo Registered Users 29 Posts
    I honestly think it depends on what the rest of your line-up looks like. If you have a bunch of 6-3; 7-4; 8-2 guys in your line-up and no power hitters, then it's good to have at least one or two guys who can take it out of the park for you. In a vacuum I'd also select the 7-4-3 guy, but I'd also suggest looking back at your line-up and seeing if you have enough good hitters scattered throughout to where you could afford to loose a little BA from someone who could take it yard for you from time to time. I'd also prefer to go with someone a little more hitting than a 3-9 guy (pref at least a 5-9), but depending on what level you are currently at (i.e., Intermediate, Advanced, Semi-Pro), a 3-9 guy might serve you quite well (again, if you "need" the power).
  • Options
    YohYdoUcryYohYdoUcry Registered Users 32 Posts
    Definitlry hitting. Gordon, Revere, and Escobar all are at 9 hitting and are some of the most reliable hitters out there.
  • Options
    23mightymouse23mightymouse Registered Users, Member 40 Posts
    I prefer balance. If you have power already, add the hitter. If you have good hitters in the lineup, add power. I dont think speed is that big of a factor, as long as you adjust how often you steal. Balance.
  • Options
    Nick307Nick307 Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
    The simple answer is hitting, because a good hitter, like Gordon or Revere will hit at any level of competition. As you advance further in the game, guys with 3 and 4 hitting can't hit a lick so it doesn't really matter what their power rating is. But it's true, you have to have some power or you just end up with a bunch of hits and no runs. I like to have a rabbit like Gordon or Revere that can get on and steal a base, but eventually you need a guy to drive them in.

Let me guess...first guy is Piscotty, last guy is Jay Bruce. Not sure who the 5 5 5 guy is.
  • Options
    SlappinsinglesSlappinsingles Registered Users 5 Posts
    I just got Lorenzo Cain (9 5 9) about 300 games ago, and subbed him in for Michael Brantley (9 5 6). After 300 games Cain was batting 40 points lower and had an overall 96 points lower OPS. I have now switched back to Brantley. I figured the speed would help his OPS a little and their average should be around the same, but I never figured there would be such a drop off considering they have the same hit and power.
  • Options
    DolphinfanDolphinfan Registered Users 47 Posts
    Nick307 wrote: »
    The simple answer is hitting, because a good hitter, like Gordon or Revere will hit at any level of competition. As you advance further in the game, guys with 3 and 4 hitting can't hit a lick so it doesn't really matter what their power rating is. But it's true, you have to have some power or you just end up with a bunch of hits and no runs. I like to have a rabbit like Gordon or Revere that can get on and steal a base, but eventually you need a guy to drive them in.

Let me guess...first guy is Piscotty, last guy is Jay Bruce. Not sure who the 5 5 5 guy is.

A garcia an of I don't know but 5 5 5
  • Options
    I just got Lorenzo Cain (9 5 9) about 300 games ago, and subbed him in for Michael Brantley (9 5 6). After 300 games Cain was batting 40 points lower and had an overall 96 points lower OPS. I have now switched back to Brantley. I figured the speed would help his OPS a little and their average should be around the same, but I never figured there would be such a drop off considering they have the same hit and power.

How has Brantley been since you put him back in? Did you advance any levels between those 300 games? I wonder if pitching/level of competition might have affected the difference between the two players with the same hit rating.
  • Options
    Dolphinfan wrote: »
    A garcia an of I don't know but 5 5 5

I think he was asking who the players in question were. He's guessing (and now I'm curious) if they were:

7 4 3 = Stephen Piscotty?
    5 5 5 = ??? (Are you saying A. Garcia)?
    3 9 6 = Jay Bruce?
  • Options
    Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    It's hard to compare players at different levels (after upgrading or moving up a level) because your competition is diff. I've had similar issues with a 6-9 being way way better than a 7-8 and simply benched my 7-8. Also have multiple L 6-9 (x3) and 1 R 6-9 and one 6-9 has a war double of the others. I think u need a larger sample size
  • Options
    InsertteamhereInsertteamhere Registered Users, Member 268 Posts
    nexxus6 wrote: »
    Dee Gordon at 9-1-9 performes better than an 8-2-6. Just saying. High hit is better than power

This simple statement is the best imho. Go with high batting average (check the STATS tab for this) BUT also take slugging into account. Because a home run every third at bat is better than a single every 2/3 at bats. Generally though, I go with the highest hitting number.
  • Options
    Hitting is primo. I play an B 8-2-9 over L-7-8-3 but it's OF

If I had a 7-6 and 6-8 I would take the 6-8 but otherwise always do the higher hit imo
  • Options
    Oakland RivercatsOakland Rivercats Registered Users, Member 193 Posts

Due to the overwelming amount of RHP lefty Brantley vs righty Cain means Brantley's your guy. I'd take Cain if i had some 9 hitting lefties in the line up, but Brantley otherwise.
  • Options
    Always take the B or L over a R. I've taken a L 7-6 over a R 8-5. I think the L or B really helps