Options

Trades - Yes or No

So I'm looking through the trades and I see I have 2 of the 3 guys needed for a trade (for 5 star McCutchen). You can get the other player in a 3 team thing for 1500 gold. I thought I've read on here more stuff happens even after u have all 3 players and it's very risky to do since u may not ever end up with the 5 star.

Thoughts/ experience on the inner-workings of trades?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlopPlop Registered Users 16 Posts
    After you trade the players in for McCutchen you have to pay gold for McCutchen. I don't know how much he costs because the highest player I traded for was a 4.5 but I got him for 43 gold
  • Options
    Dr. Myron GainsDr. Myron Gains Registered Users 47 Posts
    I traded for McCutchen and got him on the 3rd negotiation

I think it took like 1 day and 8 hours for each negotiation. If the negotiation falls through, you don't lose the players or anything, so there is no risk. You can spend gold to complete the negotiation instantly if you choose to but I did not. I'd only spend gold if he was available for a shorter period than the negotiation period
  • Options
    theferrettheferret Registered Users, Member 39 Posts
    I've heard putting a weak player at that position helps increase chances of the trade going through, so if you have a weak OF (3* or worse), throw him into the starting lineup. Worth a shot.
  • Options
    KCChamps15KCChamps15 Registered Users, Member 50 Posts
    theferret wrote: »
    I've heard putting a weak player at that position helps increase chances of the trade going through, so if you have a weak OF (3* or worse), throw him into the starting lineup. Worth a shot.

I've used this strategy quite a bit and it SEEMS to help, but it's hard to really prove... Most of the time I've had fewer than 10 attempts to get the top trade to go through while doing this, but there have been times where it's taken longer (and also there have been times when I didn't try this and it went through in like 5 tries).

Like you said, though, worth a shot.
  • Options
    mpmjem2010mpmjem2010 Registered Users 28 Posts
    Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean? I'm not sure what you think I should try to help my chances? Right now, my starting outfielders are 2 4 stars and a 4.5....sorry, just want to make sure I understand what you think I should try. Thx
  • Options
    mpmjem2010 wrote: »
    Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean? I'm not sure what you think I should try to help my chances? Right now, my starting outfielders are 2 4 stars and a 4.5....sorry, just want to make sure I understand what you think I should try. Thx

When you have the 3 required players for a trade and you hit the "start negotiations" button, that doesn't guarantee that you'll get the player. Sometimes negotiations will fail and you will have to try again (if the trades are about to expire, that means you have to use gold to keep trying again before the player is unavailable). The higher level of trade you're attempting, the higher the frequency of failed negotiations you'll see.

Basically, the theory is that trades will be more successful (meaning you won't have to keep re-trying negotiations as much) if the game thinks that your team has a need for the position you're trading for.

For instance, let's say you want to trade for Andrew McCutchen (OF, 5-stars). If your current lineup has three 5-star OF players, you might have to re-try the trade several times before it's successful. But if you have a couple 2-star OF players on your bench, switch those out for your starters before you try the trade. The thought is that the game will see that you have a terrible OF and will help you succeed in the trade.

Again, it's a theory that SEEMS to help out some, but it's unproven. Obviously, you don't want to try this if you plan on playing a lot because you'll have a diminished team while you have your 5-star players out.
  • Options
    mpmjem2010mpmjem2010 Registered Users 28 Posts
    Makes sense now! ;). Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it!
  • Options
    theangrybuddhatheangrybuddha Registered Users, Member 21 Posts
    Yes. Today I got prime Lincecum in 1 try. Seems to work now.
  • Options

Wow, that's even better than my experience!
  • Options
    ariusvideoariusvideo Registered Users 29 Posts

You were able to get him by using the "replace with lowest ranked player" method? How did that work in regards to your pitcher? Did you only have to replace your Ace with worst ranked or all 5 of your starters?

Also, when you start the negotiations, do you have to wait the full time period to see if it goes through, or is it possible for it to clear early?