Hitters

B1RDT0WNB1RDT0WN Registered Users 19 Posts
As pitching goes, "STUFF" matters more than anything. In regards to hitting - would you rather have a hitter who is 6 6 6 or 8 3 5. I get power is important but not if his batting avg is .250. My team has alot of 7 3 5/ 8 2 4/7 5 4 and then 3 9 5/5 8 2/4 8 3 type hitters. Would you put someone with a 7/8 hitting and low power in a say dh or 7/8/9 power and 4/5/6 hitting?

So far to me it seems that hitting matters most? Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• gocubsgo0128gocubsgo0128 Registered Users, Member 272 Posts
    hitting over power for me. The 3/9/3 guys end up batting like .200
  • ariusvideoariusvideo Registered Users 29 Posts
    I usually suggest having a mix, but prioritizing hitters over sluggers (like 22% of your line-up being sluggers). You need those guys who can get on base but it's nice to have a couple of players in your lineup who can drive home 2-4 runs in one at bat. Good sluggers will be able to go yard every 8-10 AB's, but they are going to have pretty low BA's.

Depending on your currently level, ideally you'd like for your sluggers to be 5-8/5-9. Anything below that I'd replace with a hitter for now until you can get a better slugger.
  • KCChamps15KCChamps15 Registered Users, Member 50 Posts
    I agree with both above. I loved having Dee Gordon on my team (stats were at 9-1-9... I think) because he was batting like .420 even though he was the only 4-star player on my team for a long time. But I balanced that out with some guys that had more power and were maybe around 6 or 7 for hitting.

Hitting is usually the tie-breaker for me before power, though.
  • B1RDT0WNB1RDT0WN Registered Users 19 Posts
    Excellent feedback - it makes sense but it helps hearing what is working for others. Now, if I can just stop getting awesome 2nd basemen EVERY time I get lucky unlocking a 4 star player or better. At least I have solid plan - thanks dudes.
  • BoomboompowBoomboompow Registered Users 6 Posts
    Dee Gordon is by far the best 4 star player in this game. There are some 5 star players i'd part with before him. He routinely performs as good as my prime Reyes.
  • RobotstoveRobotstove Registered Users 163 Posts
    Dee Gordon is by far the best 4 star player in this game. There are some 5 star players i'd part with before him. He routinely performs as good as my prime Reyes.

9 1 9 Lefties have been better than all other 9 hitters ever since the original version (with 4.5* Ben Revere). They have additional options for infield hits that other batters do not have access to, really boosting their batting average.
    In-game name: Robotstove
    In TSB 2014: Legends, beat playoffs fourteen times (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2015: Greatest of All Time (GOAT) (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2016: Recently returned and rising!

I have come back to play TSB 2016, so you can join me and others in a general TSB 2016 chat using Discord: https://discord.gg/t9yTMgx

Look forward to chatting with everyone!
    These are great points -

1. Boom you mentioned Dee Gordon - who are your guys BEST hitters, the one guy in the lineup you have to have? Curious to see what you guys answer.

2. 9 1 9 lefties - what do you mean by additional options for infield hits? You mean when the infield is playing deep and you hit a light grounder to deep short/3rd and beat out the throw?

I usually favor righties because I can fight off those f'ing upgraded pitchers curve/sliders to either right field gap or take advantage of the infield shift through 2nd and move runner from 1st to 3rd.
  • RobotstoveRobotstove Registered Users 163 Posts
    B1RDT0WN wrote: »
    These are great points -

2. 9 1 9 lefties - what do you mean by additional options for infield hits? You mean when the infield is playing deep and you hit a light grounder to deep short/3rd and beat out the throw?

Hitting to deep short / 3rd is one way, the other is when you hit the ball and it dribbles like a bunt to 3rd base. It takes forever for the 3rd baseman to grab it.

Right hitters cannot (or at least not in the original) do the same down the 1st base line. Also, higher power batters could not do it originally, either, but I do believe I did have Ichiro Suzuki do it at 3 power in 2016.

I firmly believe these extra hit options are the reasoning that a 919 lefty can be so successful in getting on base.
    In-game name: Robotstove
    In TSB 2014: Legends, beat playoffs fourteen times (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2015: Greatest of All Time (GOAT) (RETIRED)
    In TSB 2016: Recently returned and rising!

I have come back to play TSB 2016, so you can join me and others in a general TSB 2016 chat using Discord: https://discord.gg/t9yTMgx

Look forward to chatting with everyone!
  • GrifftrainGrifftrain Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    I like to have at least one player with a 9 power, even if he has a 3 hitting rank. He will hit a hr ever 10 at bats. But no more than one player like that. I have a 4 star Yunel Escobar with a 9 hitter score and he is batting almost 500 with over 150 at bats. He is the best hitter I've seen in here, and I had a couple 5 star players I switched up teams
  • IcehammersIcehammers Registered Users, Member 54 Posts
    Hitting and speed. Revere Dee anything with a 7 in speed consistently stretches a single into a double. And brings you home with more success on sac fly's and stretching hits.
    Get on base run cause errors
    Old school
    Best guy for me is prime David Wright 9-9-9 is deadly everywhere stealing or homers. Non prime would be Rizzo 7-9-7 for pretty much the same reasons. Hits and stealing bases Is what I live by in this game. Never considered that being a 9 hitting lefty is such and advantage but once you mentioned it I 100 percent agree.
    You can snag Dee Gordon in the 4 star league if you go deep enough well worth the effort. That's how I got him. I'd like to get Ben Revere not sure if he is in it.
  • RyystRyyst Administrator, Moderators 17 Posts
    Just a reminder, soon these forums will close and you will only be able to read threads. To post new threads please join us in our new home at: http://tapsportsbaseballforums.com/
    Got him. Thanks!
  • mongeymanmongeyman Registered Users, Member 6 Posts
    Yeah my top two batters are definitely Bernie Williams (legend 12-11-9) and Ryan Braun (10-9-9). After that, kris Bryant (at 9-10-6) and then signature yoenis cespedes (10-11-4 after this players just got upgraded now). Have some others who are solid but those are my top for right now