Options

Why we stopped playing the game

herrradlerherrradler Registered Users, Member 1 Posts
First of all, to all of you who are enjoying the game and find it to be a lot of fun, I give you a tip of the cap. If you have found ways to be successful at this game and have good strategies to keep the game enjoyable, it would seem that I could learn a lot from you. 
But today, I officially stopped playing the game because the experience became frustrating, and the chances of winning games was becoming more of a chore, and the game was no longer fun, so I invoked the line from the movie "WarGames" where the best winning move was not to play anymore.
The problems really were in season mode. I was playing in the latter stages of season mode with around 28 to 36 games to be played, and discovered that the game (computer) was responding in a way that was generating a large quantity of unexplainable losses, but I attribute this to the computer programming (however it's done, I'm not a programmer), and the fact the computer has no emotions. It does what it does, and it is programmed to essentially beat you, and will calculate ways to accomplish that goal, many of them invisible. I had prior knowledge of this when first playing the game, but as things have gone on, a number of frustrating and unexplainable outcomes has soured my attitude about the game strongly. 
Example 1: My team was up against the simulated New York Yankees. Down 6 to 5 in the 8th inning, my team got a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th to go ahead 9-6, (thanks to "Albert Pujols" who was a prime player with a 146 rating, and thanks to two offensive boosts). In a real baseball game with emotions involved, that is often demoralizing to the team that gave up the grand slam, although I understand major league players are pros and are able to check their emotions in many situations, save getting beaned or getting a questionable strike 3 call. But my opponent was the computer, an emotionless device with advanced calculating abilities, and my best reliever (closer) got rocked for 4 runs, and we ended up losing 10-9, getting no offense in the bottom of the 9th. 
Example 2: The second game against the simulated Yankees involved our ace pitcher, and we got the lead 3-2 with the ace going eight innings along with two energy drinks (which an ace should do). We ended up getting four runs in the bottom of the 8th and went ahead 7-2. In the usual game of Major League Baseball, the closer would come in and slam the door with relative ease (in most situations). But the computer essentially exacted its "revenge" in the top of the 9th with my closer and tied the game 7-7, with the closer giving up five runs without explanation. In real life, real closers rarely give up five runs in a closing situation in the late innings. Real pitchers may fall apart from time to time in tight situations, but this outcome finally made me say: "This isn't right" here. In the bottom of the ninth, we got the winning run on second, but despite my best player with a 146 rating and two boosts, he struck out to end the inning on a questionable pitch. With that, the last straw had been reached, because I was convinced that no matter what reliever I chose in the next inning, the opposing team would go ahead, we would have no offense during our last bats, and we would lose. 
It should be mentioned that my team did play the Angels, Orioles, and Red Sox prior to this Yankees series, and the Angels and Orioles had team strength similar to mine, while the Red Sox and Yankees had stronger ratings. Indeed, I've won games where I've been the weaker team and lost as the stronger team, but in the course of these 16 games, we could only manage 4 wins. If there was a winning outcome, it was most often a one run and two run victory at most, and my starting pitchers were pulled early in the 4th and 5th inning. Many of the losing outcomes were mixed: Often times, the opposing team got five to six runs in the first inning and we were automatically toast, but more often than not, if my team was ahead going into the 8th and 9th inning, the computer always found a way to tie the score or pull ahead, and my offense would be stifled in those late innings with little chance of a comeback. It's like the computer could read my mind and knew what I was thinking and/or anticipated my next moves.
I cannot explain all of these outcomes and cannot offer definitive proof of the inner workings of the technology, but for another example. I cannot explain why my team lost the playoff game to reach Advanced level five times in a row (the sixth try was a win, 4-3), but I reached the Semi-Pro game on the first try in a blowout, 15-3. I am certain team strength is a factor in wins and losses, and I can accept that up to a point. But when you start losing games for unexplainable reasons, especially when you've spent time and money and energy to improve your team and maximize the playing experience, the frustration factor kicks in big time and you have to start asking: "Is this worth it?" I say definitively: "No, it's not." 
Incidentally: I did register a complaint with Glu over the game and my main line of argument was that the pitchers were at a significant disadvantage and deserved to get a boost as the hitters did. I did get a polite and comprehensive response and it was mentioned that they would look into it, but nothing has been done in the past month or two. In short, I never have any real confidence that the pitcher I send out will truly "pitch well" as a real major leaguer would, and on many occasions, if I'm up in a game by a large margin, I've had moments where the opposing team scores 10 to 11 runs in one inning, and we ultimately lose. Or, if my team suddenly comes up with a grand slam or has a particularly good inning, the computer always has an answer to ensure defeat. Although I have heard the argument: "Suck it up! That's baseball! It's just a game!",  I can only accept that outcome up to a point. 
In conclusion: If you have the time and the patience to put up with a lot in this game and have found ways to make the experience a positive one, I give you much credit, and perhaps I could learn something from you. However, I must conclude that I haven't the time or patience to continually have an emotionless computer smack my team to shreds at random with no logical explanation, and I can use my time and energy for more positive endeavors (like spending time with my family) instead of being glued to a computer screen. 
Thank you for your time in reading this, and it is my intention to not recommend the game to other users if asked. 
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    Skullhead777Skullhead777 Registered Users, Member 4 Posts
    This app is about making you waste money rather than making the play experience optimal for fans and gamers... you are lucky to have 4 or  more members of your actual teams likeness. Your best players are stripped from your team before you begin play ex. I use cardinals and I have some lousy catcher instead of Molina!  The functions and playability of this game are left to be desired. I am currently looking for a better baseball app then good riddance to this money grabbing poor excuse of a baseball game...
  • Options
    PerfectCheckmatePerfectCheckmate Registered Users, Member 18 Posts
    I dislike that we don't have the ability to protect the plate when there are 2 strikes. I can't afford to take a close pitch and have it called a strike. But if I swing at a pitch that's slightly off the plate I can't foul it off, I only get air. So I strike out a lot. 
  • Options
    [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    I'm putting this in my weekly report to the development team.

Season Mode is the biggest new mode in the game, and because it's new, it's still finding its purpose.  In addition to the market research the team did, surveys were sent to players of varying levels to see what they wanted out of it.

I personally would've preferred a season where I used an actual MLB team rather than my own, but that opinion lost.  Anyway, remember that Pennants make your team better.  If you restart your season or end the season and go into another, you keep your team as beefed up as they are.  The early part of the season should remain easy, making it easier to continue build your pennant count and continue to make your team better until you go all the way.
  • Options
    ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I got some teams that outranked me in the beginning of the season always managed to grab at least one game or a split some games got swept but always won 3 or swept mediocre to poor teams my team strength is 48000. I personally think it's probably the best mode on the game. There far worse modes like the terrible tournament that needs to be fixed or permanently disbanded! The season mode has the best by far awards on the whole game and they are very very attainable. You can go 0-116 and still get rewards.
  • Options
    23mightymouse23mightymouse Registered Users, Member 40 Posts
    I think most people are failing to understand the whole rewards part of it. They will complain about tourneys and the cost vs rewards, yet complain about free season mode with free rewards. 
  • Options
    I think people want to win every single game 20 to nothing which I understand if you are dumping a trillion dollars of real life money into this game...but that being said your going to go on losing streaks just like the best teams in real life...you can still play this game and be formidable without spending money... collect gold... I've collected almost 30000 gold in the last three weeks... people,  patience is a virtue!
  • Options
    cotnerballcotnerball Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
    Just don't spend that gold. You will be jailed. I now know for a fact that there is no way top be successful other than spending money. But then again, I've read on here about people being jailed that even provide receipts. Too bad.
  • Options
    Glu knows how people get gold. They can trace whether you can get gold by watching ads or buying gold if someone got jailed that's because they cheated or tried to cheat and got caught. Don't get it twisted man, watching ads for free gold or doing offers for gold aren't free. If you're watching ads that's time being taken you could be doing something more constructive...for every ad you watch that's advertising dollars in Glu's pocket. If all of sudden you show 50000 or 100000 or 1000000 gold and when you had very little or none and you haven't purchased any or haven't watched any videos, then Glu will know you hacked and cheated. It's like shoplifting. There's only two ways to get gold legitimately. If someone got jailed they tried to cheat and got caught and they tried pass on receipts from prior purchases. They have record of everything.
  • Options
    [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    Glu knows how people get gold. They can trace whether you can get gold by watching ads or buying gold if someone got jailed that's because they cheated or tried to cheat and got caught. Don't get it twisted man, watching ads for free gold or doing offers for gold aren't free. If you're watching ads that's time being taken you could be doing something more constructive...for every ad you watch that's advertising dollars in Glu's pocket. If all of sudden you show 50000 or 100000 or 1000000 gold and when you had very little or none and you haven't purchased any or haven't watched any videos, then Glu will know you hacked and cheated. It's like shoplifting. There's only two ways to get gold legitimately. If someone got jailed they tried to cheat and got caught and they tried pass on receipts from prior purchases. They have record of everything.
    Bingo.  And we know people are spending to get our watch dogs off the scent of a cheater.  Again, we can't get them all, but that's not stopping us from trying.
  • Options
    Right and wrong. As I've stated, and screen shot, I earned all of my gold through videos amd hr battles. Yes, they should be able to see that, but they either won't take the time to check or just don't care. Sadly, I spent a lot of time playing those battles. If you're good, you can win 10- 20K per week. It's right there for them to see. I'm so not tech savvy, I don't even know the glitches everyone talks about, let alone hacking. I certainly wouldn't pay one of those yahoos on reddit for that stuff. It's a game for fun, and I found a great strategy, if you are good at hrd. I'm not the one that has it twisted. I spent the time to earn that gold, I dont understand why they can't take a few moments to verify it. Blue, i will start over. Should i send you, or glu, a weekly report of my hrd winnings? Would that work?
  • Options
    Like the season mode and this new batting boost and I guess other surprises they have in the pipeline and the prime draft pick, are helping the honest player out which I've been screaming for and undermines the cheat. I hope you all at Glu continue to come up with ways that make it unattractive to cheat and hack. Like you said bluleopard it won't stop it all but you all at Glu can slow it way down. I still think devaluing items and coming down in price for gold and in game cash will make it more unattractive to cheats because you'll make everything more accessible to everyone.
  • Options
    Battie, I'm glad you're having fun, but I promise that when you level those prime players, good night. I had my account for months to save what I did, all for nothing. Unless you spend money, forget it. I have to assume this as glu will not reveal as to why they are labeling me a cheat (which is no cool at all). 
  • Options
    I know others are earning through hr battles as I would play a lot of the same people over and over for weeks. 
  • Options
    Right and wrong. As I've stated, and screen shot, I earned all of my gold through videos amd hr battles. Yes, they should be able to see that, but they either won't take the time to check or just don't care. Sadly, I spent a lot of time playing those battles. If you're good, you can win 10- 20K per week. It's right there for them to see. I'm so not tech savvy, I don't even know the glitches everyone talks about, let alone hacking. I certainly wouldn't pay one of those yahoos on reddit for that stuff. It's a game for fun, and I found a great strategy, if you are good at hrd. I'm not the one that has it twisted. I spent the time to earn that gold, I dont understand why they can't take a few moments to verify it. Blue, i will start over. Should i send you, or glu, a weekly report of my hrd winnings? Would that work?
    Dude, at some point in time you've done something that got you on there radar. Believe me dude that how I got my gold is by patiently collecting gold by watching ads and offers. I have gotten 3 prime players and 6 or 7 five star players through the fan awards...not counting 5 star players, players of the month and all star 4 1/2 star players from spending that gold and also prime XP boxes as well. Haven't been bothered by Glu about it. You do it legitimately they're not going to bother you. 
  • Options
    Battie, I'm glad you're having fun, but I promise that when you level those prime players, good night. I had my account for months to save what I did, all for nothing. Unless you spend money, forget it. I have to assume this as glu will not reveal as to why they are labeling me a cheat (which is no cool at all). 
    Dude I'm saying I've leveled 5 star players up and so forth you've done something maybe since you said you're not tech savvy you did something not knowing you did something or communicated with someone is a known hack asking questions so forth all that stuff will get you noticed. 
  • Options
    Not true. I used to think the same thing when I read similar posts. I have laid out my strategy in full detail. Build you hr sluggers. Don't worry about games for a while, maybe just the weekend event. Be in a club that let me stay for my hrd contribution on weds. On a good day, I would win 3000 gold. Spent it during the weekend event to get the prime and legend player. In spending the gold, i bought a few mystery boxes, and once or twice received a prime player. I mostly bought the prime and legend xp boxes, knowing that i would receive 1 of each when i reached the 20 and 30K level. Now, i can upgrade them right away. This doesn't happen overnight, it took a while to earn all of the best sluggers. Once i got them, then it was on. After 3 weekends, over about a 6 week period, i had 5 prime and 4 legends at full power. What about this is not legit. Every player here has this ability. How can they not verify this somehow. I dont know how else to prove innocence against such a general accusation.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    You all spend money that's fine that's you all's perogative but I guarantee you and bluleopard can correct me if I'm wrong they make more from us watching ads and doing offers if not then they wouldn't do double gold. It wouldn't be worth it to them. That's why we have the pop ads and ads for boosts and ads for an extra crack at the moments thing.
  • Options
    Not true. I used to think the same thing when I read similar posts. I have laid out my strategy in full detail. Build you hr sluggers. Don't worry about games for a while, maybe just the weekend event. Be in a club that let me stay for my hrd contribution on weds. On a good day, I would win 3000 gold. Spent it during the weekend event to get the prime and legend player. In spending the gold, i bought a few mystery boxes, and once or twice received a prime player. I mostly bought the prime and legend xp boxes, knowing that i would receive 1 of each when i reached the 20 and 30K level. Now, i can upgrade them right away. This doesn't happen overnight, it took a while to earn all of the best sluggers. Once i got them, then it was on. After 3 weekends, over about a 6 week period, i had 5 prime and 4 legends at full power. What about this is not legit. Every player here has this ability. How can they not verify this somehow. I dont know how else to prove innocence against such a general accusation.
    What will get you noticed that nobody picks up on that I've noticed reading these forums is that if you have cheats hacks on your team you could be associated with them. Something to be aware of if you notice a lot of players on your team that are extremely strong I'd get out because it could be as simple as guilty by association. That's why I check teams strength in my club if I ever notice a couple teams jump up there in strength or a team came in with 90000 100000 strength I'm gone especially in gold level a quick tip off.
  • Options
    I think that may be the problem, i didn't spend money. But why would I when, with no explanation, they can jail you. Not spending money means that I've watched a ton of ads which, by your logic, makes them a ton of money. Sorry, still confused.
  • Options
    Not gonna go into deep specifics as to what makes our bottom line, but downloads, ads, time spent on the game, money spent on the game... it all matters.

Coming from the console gaming industry, I've always thought in-app purchases were about doing things quickly, and it's even more of a case in the mobile industry.  It's definitely more aggressive, but that comes with the territory.
  • Options
    Can you at least admit that glu's jailing policy is not infallible? I know it's hard to accept that someone can perform successfully without cheating, but there are no rules stating what they deem too good to be true. Again, why will no one comment on the strategy that I  have laid out, that works after 2 months and countless hours a week. Why is this a jailable offense? Imagine, hard as it may be, that you are jailed and didn't cheat. How do you start over never knowing what went wrong?
  • Options
    Battie, I wish the clu thing were the case, but my club is awful, with not one superstar by any means. The only day we do well is hrd because you have to play. You can't cheat that day, so we do well. That's they irony of the whole situation.
  • Options
    Battie, I wish the clu thing were the case, but my club is awful, with not one superstar by any means. The only day we do well is hrd because you have to play. You can't cheat that day, so we do well. That's they irony of the whole situation.
    Dude I don't know like I said before you did something without your knowledge that you weren't doing anything wrong. I would pm bluleopard the dude will help you out to get where you need to get for answers or to get your team out of jail you ain't making money for them if you can't play. I'm sure there's a way.
  • Options
    He told me to pm. I did. No response.
  • Options
    8 times out of 10 when someone complains about being jailed, they have the wrong reason why.  I'll leave it at that.  Again, you have the PM box with me to sort that out.
  • Options
    If you did something unknowingly, wouldn't you notice the gain? I see your point, but I would have noticed a dpike in hold or something.
  • Options
    Nope, never received one from you.  Sending a PM doesn't mean making a new thread.
  • Options
    Sorry, i clicked on your name. Not sure how then. I'll try again. Thanks
  • Options
    Do i pm through the game itself?
  • Options
    JbsherrJbsherr Registered Users, Member 107 Posts
     I find it best to do it from the mobile version instead of full sight. 
    Click on the icon  on the far left  with the arrow pointing down.  After that click new message in the top right