Is it smarter to sign in using social media, or backing up my game using icloud?

paidoffpaidoff Registered Users, Member 106 Posts
TSB 18 offers a player the opportunity to sign in and back up game progress.  This is not unusual compared to tap sports baseball 2017.   But in this version it appears that Glu has decided that players  can only get help with their passwords one time.   And as I understand it, it's one team per device.  I think I've got my signals crossed here but there also apears to be the possibility of saving game progress to iCloud through a back up.  Which is better:  saving to a cloud and not signing in to the game, or signing into my team via social media?

Comments

• HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Social media isn't working on mine so I did the email thing. I am not sure but I think with the new version you can only reactivate on a new device one time regardless of which method you use for backup so until we are sure be careful with signing out. In my opinion it may be to combat cheaters and loaders which was a big problem in 17 as it gave a lot of unfair advantage to people who spent a fraction of the money others did to strengthen their teams and if that is the case I love the idea as it makes the game more fair and puts a stop to the cheating.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• paidoffpaidoff Registered Users, Member 106 Posts
    I def agree with you, but if you can save team progress to your iCloud on an iOS, it won't stop anyone from reloading from their iCloud.  A team with performance enhancing advantages (pea) still has to be jailed once it's status is clear.  The thing I am having difficulty with is that I am signed in with mail address and when I do a backup of my iOS to my iCloud account my TSB 18 is not listed as an app with data stored in the backup depot.  Is it due to the fact I'm using an email address?  This could be terrible if I switch to another iOS electronic.  
    Please, could someone give some response here on the subject.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Dont like what I'm hearing gents.. I just got a new device and I plan on switching today before the weekend event starts. I'm backed up using email... So far I have heard bad experiences from people doing this so I am a bit worried about losing my team and progress. Is there a way to do a secondary back-up elsewhere to MAKESURE we don't loose our games. I spoke with a few people so far and they said they all lost data and had to start from scratch. Customer support couldn't do anything to help them..... GLU? Can we backup twice or at-least have a guarantee that we wont loose our game data.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    Choosing to back up with the email/link option is all-the-way busted then and there is no way to lockdown your progress. 
  • ScottySTL1ScottySTL1 Registered Users, Member 7 Posts
    I am hoping some time soon they give us more than just 1 instance of re-linking our accounts to a device. Or at least put in some form of 2 factor authentication or something. I dont want to spend money on this game only to find it is lost after i device to purchase a new phone.
    Past Glu games recommend saving game prigress to your phone backup, iCloud, iTunes, and anything you can use to restore your phone.  In TSB 2018 you back up to social media or email address with the understanding that this recovery can only be used once.  I can't tell once and for all if Im backing my game progress up in a phone backup and I haven't found anything yet that says game progress is saveable in a backup in TSB 2018.  I have a hunch it might be.  But this email link option, which can only be used once, is a major downgrade to any form of data saving involving a login.  And it's failing?   Past glue games have allowed the user to save on an iOS device by using the Apple ID and creating a restore back up in iCloud and in iTunes. Glue seems to think they have the issues here handled by giving ample notification to the TSB community of the terms, but I think they're going to be sued if it stays this way.  I mean, if I get a new phone, does my relink limit (????) start over at 1?  $$$ spent by consumers, flawed systems and poor response to the resulting complainers means a problem for Glu.  Dealing w/ customer care always has the potential to be a bust based on what people on here and past forums have said.  So who is going to handle the response to the displacement, should it happen?
    paidoff said:

Past Glu games recommend saving game prigress to your phone backup, iCloud, iTunes, and anything you can use to restore your phone.  In TSB 2018 you back up to social media or email address with the understanding that this recovery can only be used once.  I can't tell once and for all if Im backing my game progress up in a phone backup and I haven't found anything yet that says game progress is saveable in a backup in TSB 2018.  I have a hunch it might be.  But this email link option, which can only be used once, is a major downgrade to any form of data saving involving a login.  And it's failing?   Past glue games have allowed the user to save on an iOS device by using the Apple ID and creating a restore back up in iCloud and in iTunes. Glue seems to think they have the issues here handled by giving ample notification to the TSB community of the terms, but I think they're going to be sued if it stays this way.  I mean, if I get a new phone, does my relink limit (????) start over at 1?  $$$ spent by consumers, flawed systems and poor response to the resulting complainers means a problem for Glu.  Dealing w/ customer care always has the potential to be a bust based on what people on here and past forums have said.  So who is going to handle the response to the displacement, should it happen?

I have a good hunch that the one time linking may have to do with combating cheating and stopping loaders. Once you relink your account to a new device I am sure GLU can reset the link counter for you once they have checked your account and made sure their are no unusual activities on it.

If it is to stop cheating then I am all for it and will deal with the inconvenience gladly.

I didn't know that right before, or immediately following a change in your device was a good time to cheat.  But it is an excellent excuse for Glu to have inspection on a account.  It's reasonable that Glu would state some of their flexible terms.  But they have not.  I think we need to find the answer to the reset of the link issue, Houmy.  
    paidoff said:

I didn't know that right before, or immediately following a change in your device was a good time to cheat.  But it is an excellent excuse for Glu to have inspection on a account.  It's reasonable that Glu would state some of their flexible terms.  But they have not.  I think we need to find the answer to the reset of the link issue, Houmy.  

What I meant by my comment is that I am guessing loaders need access to your account to do their thing so you would need them to login to your account and load you and then log out so you could log back in hence the one time linking only as then you could not log back in once you had been loaded.

Now I have never dealt with loaders and my comment comes as a programmer as that is the only way it would make sense to me to cheat with someone running a script on your account which means they have to be logged into it.

In order to stop cheating, Glu can't be looking for shortcuts.  Their "Terms of Use" is sooooo one sided that they'd be smart to take all liberties and just do whatever is essential.  It's possible there are some blurry lines in the legal areas governing the privacy of the consumer and the responsibility of Glu and the contradictions that start to accumulate.  Any lawyers out there who can whey in?  
    Really? Lawyers over a game?

Have you read the "Terms of Use" lately?  It says a lot about Glu's rights for protecting their property.  Since I am not a lawyer I won't write answers leading people to believe I know the legalities of Glu's choices, but there might be damages Glu will be responsible for as this confusion develops.

What I was really hoping for here was that someone from Glu would talk to us about saving TSB data.