One of our regular contributors and friends, @DFBB
, had asked me to post my experience of leveling my team to the gold tier in hopes of giving some insight to those that are still on the fence of doing so. I had been sitting on the gold tier playoffs since the 2nd week of release and finally decided to go gold 3 weeks ago once I made sure I had enough resources to compete in gold. Below is what I had before going gold:
- Cash: 17 Million
- Blue XP: 700K
- Prime XP: 1 Million (plus change)
- EVO: Close to 900
- Regular roster: 9 Primes and the rest 335 max, 355 max and All Stars with the exception of a 4.5 star catcher. All capped in silver
- Sluggers: 6 Primes and the rest all 5 stars. All capped in silver
- Upgrades: All regular upgrades and first 4 Intangibles maxes. Don't want to waste the cash on "Momentum" & "Resilience"
- Team strength: Around 62K
- Slugger strength: Around 32K
Having saved up all the XP, Cash & EVO I was able to achieve the following once I went gold:
- Cash left: Around 4 Million
- Blue XP left: Around 320K
- Prime XP left: Around 220K
- EVO left: around 300
- Regular roster: Capped all active players plus 1 left handed and one switch hitting 5 star batters as substitutes
- Sluggers: Capped top 4 prime and top 3 5 star sluggers. Didn't evolve the rest as there is no point wasting the XP as they would move down the roster by stronger Slugfest prize sluggers in subsequent weeks.
- Upgrades: Maxed all regular upgrades and first 4 intangibles
- Team strength: Around 84K (currently 87K)
- Slugger strength: Around 42K (currently 43K)
So as you can see my team & slugger strength went up considerably as I had to make sure to gather the resources needed to do so. Below are my experiences with Slugfest & WOH:SLUGFEST
I especially paid extra attention to my sluggers this year after making the mistake of ignoring them in the 17 version and with the exception of last week, due to some family issues, I have cycled all slugfest events. When in silver I used to cycle 7-8 times and in gold that number has gone down to 4 cycles but I am hopeful to get that number back up again as the past two weeks have been extra busy at work and other issues so not much time to play. I used to cycle in silver without spending any gold on restarts and sometimes not even using my video restart and the entire cycle would take 45-70 minutes with autoplaying levels 1-4 and half of 5-6. In gold tier I have spent about 2K gold total each day for all the cycles and each cycle takes about 75 minutes now as I can only auto play levels 1-4 now and have to play all rounds in 5 & 6 manually.WOH
So far I have cycled all WOH games this year and there isn't really much to say about this rather than it seems to be much easier in Gold versus Silver and last week I didn't even need a restart on the 1st cycle. I am also able to cycle 5 to 6 times in gold now versus the 1 or 2 in silver. From past experience in 17 I have seen WOH being much easier for me when I am in a higher tier. In 17 it was even easier for me with a Platinum team.Regular Season & bonus/prime/match me games
These games are extremely easy now but that is to be expected as I just went to gold and eventually I will get paired with tougher teams. As of now I just finished my 1st regular season in gold with a perfect record of 116-0 and the post season best of 2 games will probably go the same way. I also had an all-time win streak of 521 games under the achievements tab until a few days ago when I lost to a much stronger Platinum team. That team actually started a game with me and I don't know who it is so maybe someone I bested in a match brought in a ringer to put an end to my streak?
So this was my experience going gold and if I have left out anything feel free to ask and I will update. Some of the numbers of the resources I had left after going gold may be a bit off as I didn't track it at the time and am adjusting them based on what I have now after 3 weeks of being gold.
"OOPS... WE NEED TO RESTART" - GLU ca. 2019