Options

Need Tips From Slugger Users

dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts

Ever since they made derby harder a while back have been settling with just beating lv4 every week. However with my prime xp finally being depleted I was wondering what it would take just to beat lv5 the last guy in gold level. My best slugger is the AS Schwarber freebie we all got a while back. Capped at g10. I dont mind using the gold to unlock last 5 levels and boost if it means I can get 15k prime a week. He is rated 189 at gold 10.

Is he capable of beating the last guy in round 10? with or without boosts?

Apprecaite any help.

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
– The Great Houmy

Comments

• Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

It can be done, but it is really tough.  Will need a bunch of restarts.  In some ways the last guy isn't the real issue, it's all the guys on the way up after 5.3 or so. 

• Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts

189 with a max boost may get you through level 5 but you have to pretty much get distance with each hit and it goes without saying that you have to get 10/10. I would try it once or twice with the boost if you haven't done so already and if it doesn't work then stop wasting the gold. Trying the event buster boxes could be an option too but the odds of pulling one better than 189 are not that good either.

Now if you get lucky and pull a 5* from the season mode rewards and it is one of the higher 5* (195-204 max) then you should be able to get through with or maybe even without a boost.

Either way wish you the best of luck buddy.

"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options

I can get to 5-5 with my usual guys. I dont mind using my top guy last 5 levels if its beatable with him. Ill give it a shot next week, thanks guys

– The Great Houmy
  • Options
    miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    @dkarski87 Sorry for the late response. 

In my experience, you can tell whether or not a certain player will eventually be able to beat a certain opponent simply by playing that opponent a couple of times. 

If you are able to hit 10/10 homers to the power alley, you'll probably be able to beat the opponent at some point. It just might take several tries and restarts to do it.

If, on the other hand, you're using your normal hitting technique, timing things normally, and focusing on what you're doing, and you're shanking 2 to 3 pitches into the opposite field, hitting the wall or warning track on slightly mishit balls, or constantly getting quick pitch sequences leading to mishit balls, your slugger is probably too overpowered to run into a win. 

For me, I would give it a shot once or twice without boosting my player at all. Sometimes, I haven't seen any discernible advantage to the boost. Other times, my slugger has actually gotten worse with the boost. I'd start with him in his raw state. If you're hitting 10/10 to the power alley and still losing on distance, keep going at it. Eventually, the opponent will miss one. When he does, you need to lean into every pitch from there on without question. No shanks. No mishits. No dead center or down the line homers. You need to drill all of them to the power alley. 

On the other hand, if you're struggling to go 10/10 to the power alley despite accomplishing that at lower levels, you're probably fighting a lost cause. Even if you boost all day long, you're probably not going to get past. You'll need to go after one of the busters. 

Like everyone, I have Schwarber as well. Recently, he has not been as good as he was when he was first released. His rating is still higher than a lot of 5 star players. But, his performance has left something to be desired. 

From my personal experience the last couple of weeks, unless you already have at least 1 Prime Slugger, you don't really stand a chance at completing Level 6 on anything above Bronze. Perhaps Silver. I have 8 Prime Sluggers and don't usually run straight through the tower without a couple restarts here and there. 
  • Options
    miggyrising thanks for the tips. I almost never hit for 10 for 10, and each week all I try and do it beat lv4 and that always takes a few tires. I just really need to beat lv5 for that extra 15k. My best guy is AS Schwarber and a few 4  and 4.5 stars are high gold levels.  Pretty sad but I never had any luck getting sluggers early on.Too  Appreciate the help from everyone, lesson learned for 2019. Start derby early and build those sluggers!
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    AnomanderrakesAnomanderrakes Registered Users, Member 16 Posts
    Great advice, miggy.

i have 9 prime sluggers and it still takes effort to get through the last couple of guys on level 5. Before the update I could beat Slugfest in 30 minutes. I still beat it, but it takes a lot longer. 

Dkarski, I draw an imaginary line between the front of the batters boxes and swing right before the ball gets to that line. I don't know if it would help you, but it helps me stay on time
  • Options
    I just never liked or appreciated slugfest, even dating back to 17. lol
    But know I see it is a must have if you wanna stay competitive and farm prime xp. I like the idea people have about adding prime slugger picks to even the field for all of us who never had a chance at derby early on. I would gladly blow my gold on some picks during a fan reward weekend if it gave me a chance at landing a few prime sluggers. It took me 4 months before I ever get my first 5s from slugger picks, so no luck for me pulling sluggers.

– The Great Houmy
  • Options
    whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    I always hated derby myself, then last year a clubbie taught us how to build a slugger team for about 500k at bronze.  So many people rush out of bronze without the foundation, by the time you realize your mistake, it’s too late!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Options
    @dkarski87 I've probably pulled 150 #1 Draft Picks for Sluggers between the rewards from Slugfest and seasons. Never once seen a 5 Star come up. Lots of 4.5 stars. 

Another quick word of advice involves you as a player. Some people are just better at the game using batters on one side of the plate. It took me awhile to notice that I'm much better playing Slugfest with right-handed hitters than left. 

It has nothing to do with the players in the game. Sometimes, it's just about me having a better timing with guys on the right side of the plate. 

Because I know this, I often try to save my best right-handed slugger to play in rounds where I know I might struggle. For weeks, I was hitting Goldschmidt, Sano, and Encarnacion out of order behind Schwarber because they all bat righty. By the time I reached the toughest rounds, I was locked in from the right side .
  • Options
    miggyrising I agree with you 100%. I only had 1 4s that batted on the right side and I could always hit 10/10 with no issues. Thats the only reason I capped a 4s slugger to g10 cause the rating isn't that much different then a 4.5s at the same level, few pt difference. I haven't been able to land any 4.5s that bat on the right side either. At this point in the game it's too late anyways. Unless they offer prime slugger picks where I could potentially grab a few then my odds of beating lv5 are very slim since they raised the difficulty level.  Appreciate all the tips from everyone, hopefully its a lesson for all in 2019 (if there is one or people actually decide to play). Hopefully we start seeing some changes soon as every day less and less people are dropping out. @houmy you better get **** done at that VIP meeting your headed too. ;)
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    My top guys are 5* Donaldson (had him from almost the beginning) and AS Schwarber that they basically gifted us (both at capped level 142)... several 4.5* guys all at the same basic silver capped level (135 & 137). I haven't had a draft pick to keep since June. I got more determined to advance in derby in early August and have been able to reach 6.5 a couple of times. But as has been pointed out, without Prime slugger draft picks I'm dead in the water. Clearing level 5 for the XP is all I really need to focus on, coz you know, every 45-50 picks I get a lower level Prime player to level up lol.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Options
    whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    edited September 2018
    Next year, invest in 2nd round draft picks at bronze.  After u have 5 four star sluggers, you will be able to cycle (with gold and restarts).  After a few weeks it gets easier and cheaper as you stack the sluggers
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Options
    SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Yeah I did that, kept trying draft picks bought or won through season mode, but it didn't work out too well, and similar to @dkarski87 I didn't have the appreciation or put the same level of determination into slugfest that I have with woh and after you fall behind and don't win those top sluggers week after week, you're cooked. Anyway, will do it right next year.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Just my opinion but I've never invested in any draft pick sluggers and have cycled every event so far. Week 1 is relatively easy so if you cycle that and are able to manage your XP almost evenly amongst your regular roster and your sluggers then you should be able to keep slugging. 

• Options
    spicedaddy30spicedaddy30 Registered Users, Member 141 Posts
    @miggyrising that's a solid point about which side of the plate ! I've noticed the same except I'm a good deal better with lefties. I can almost always hit that power alley with prime Ramirez. Usually score 6100-6300 with him. Cruz and story are lucky to hit 6100 sometimes . Mostly high 59s and low 60s
  • Options
    Just curious to see how people might respond to this. 

How many of y'all who regularly cycle Slugfest have been able to keep a very low rated Slugger on your roster? Because I started later with my main team than most here, the Slugger Roster had already expanded to 40 slots. 

I know a lot of people trade in their extra sluggers to farm XP for their regular roster or to level up their non-prime sluggers. But, how many kept one of the 39-41 rated sluggers from the initial Slugger Roster? 

If you're planning on cycling the event, I would highly recommend keeping the lowest rated player you can on your roster. It makes cycling much quicker. 
  • Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @miggyrising not sure how you find keeping an original 39-41 rated slugger on your roster makes any difference in the event or how quick you can cycle. I cycle every week and have for a while now. I have all 14 prime sluggers and 9 regular 5* sluggers. I have traded in anything below 5*. I cycle usually within the first 30-45 min of the event on my 1st or 2nd attempt. I can autoplay all the way through 6-5 (aside from the final three rounds each level, I play those). I don't think having a low rated original slugger on my roster would make a difference at all. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    ArmpitastrosArmpitastros Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    What's nice about slugfest is that you can actually practice by participating in the slugfest battles.  That  helped me improve my timing.  Also, I have found this event much easier on an ipad over a phone and usually feel more comfortable with right handed hitters over lefties. Maybe it's just me.  
  • Options
    I'm with nymfan. I honestly don't see how that would help.  Like many have pointed out: you have to want to be good at Slugfest from the start of the game. Can't just decide you want to start cycling when you hit gold. Personally, Slugfest has been my favorite event going back to 16. 
  • Options
    Side note: I feel like miggy is tanking our chain :#:#
  • Options
    I am with @nym5fan on this one. I don't see how it would help getting anywhere with the lowest rated sluggers other than maybe getting past level 1.