Programmed Fastballs

TenwetheTenwethe Registered Users, Member 88 Posts
I believe I am one of the few who has yet to experience the glory of cycling Walk Off Hero. And, to be honest, I think I should be able to. At the moment, my top 4 are POTW Dahl, POTM Martinez, Legend Carter, and Legend Knoblauch. And with this "new" WOH I see a lot of players cycling and I do indeed see an increased number of fastballs. However, it seems as if the fastballs are in a way programmed. More often than not (always on level 5) I hit fastballs from any position (early, on time, late, ect.) and it ALWAYS grounds to the shortstop (usually a step or two away from second base), proceeding to a double play. Whenever I experience an inning like this, all my fastballs turn out in the same fashion: either a groundout to the perfectly placed shortstop or a fly out to the comparatively Willie Mays outfielders. On the rare occasion where I don't get this cursed groundball, I can mash fastballs for doubles and HRs and all my losses with that type of inning are usually due to personal error.I don't know, have the rest of you been experiencing "programmed" fastballs such as these?
Arenado or I will put Beuhler on DL

Comments

• nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Absolutely. There are sequences where I can swear I swung identically against the same pitcher with the same pitch and one series I get homeruns and doubles, the next it seems like my bat got exchanged for a wet noodle. Just got to keep going at it till you get that good series again where the ball is flying off the bat. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Absolutely everything is programmed for every part of the game, although there might be some variation in play depending on the timing of your swing/connection with the ball, but I think the outcome of each particular pitch/contact is predetermined.... meaning type of hit or out. As someone posted about a week ago, they had a glitch during play and the "end of batter outcome" message popped up for the next batter in line before he came to bat... and the outcome was exactly what the pop message said it was going to be.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    My fav is when I just doubled and have second and third, one out and down a run....sitting pretty on 5.10. Then I get a walk. Then the dreaded grounder to second/shortstop which results in a double play. Sometimes I just wanna swing at those “ball” pitches to avoid the walk so the double play doesn’t end my hopes...
    8* times out of 10 the walk is the set up for the automatic double play.... the 9th or 10th time is either another walk or the start of a rally....
  • nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    The best is runner on 3rd with no outs or 1 out and the disappearing ball grounder to the pitcher and out at the plate where the slide is under any tag. lol. No runner on 3rd would ever go home on a hit to the pitcher, whether the ball was visible or not. And no ump would call a runner out on a force if the glove is still up at the catchers mask level lol. You can do better GLU!
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Funny cuz that same guy who runs home on the phantom grounder stays put on a grounder to the SS area that is stabbed by a diving 3rd baseman. Or won’t tag on a fly to CF.

Has anyone ever won on a tag up or ground ball out to any infielder??? Anyone? Really...someone must have, right? 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I did exactly one time on a grounder to first he took it himself.  Was shocked.  Have seen guys not score on ground balls to the RIGHT side many times or not tag up on balls caught against the fence.
    A fairly new one lately is the 3bman collecting a grounder and basically walk to 3rd for the force while the baserunner seems to stop running or at least get there in a tie and get put out anyway...
  • bosshog90210bosshog90210 Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    I've heard you must spend gold to be able to win the home run derby or walk off hero? Has anyone got all the way through without it? I'm on diamond level and played walk off hero for like 5 hours straight and couldn't beat it. Any advice? 
  • TenwetheTenwethe Registered Users, Member 88 Posts
    @bosshog90210 The best of players can reliably cycle on the first try. Sometimes, people get lucky and can cycle in the first few tries. Otherwise, it's all about time until you can find a run with hittable fastballs. Or spend gold to speed up the process.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    @bosshog.....sorry to say the advice is to not go diamond.  Cycling gets harder the higher you tier up.   That being said, I have gotten through without gold.
  • midnightmaraudermidnightmarauder Registered Users, Member 122 Posts
    @bosshog90210 yes it's definitely possible. I spent 240+80 boost on my first cycle yesterday (Gold, at that time against Neris) and then cycled 6 more times with only video boost/replay. But as @bigvivec said, the more you level up the harder it gets. I think silver is the sweet spot for slugger, and gold for WOH. glu really disincentivized leveling your teams up this year. I have about 10 primes just sitting on the bench because it's too expensive to level them (both evo and PXP) even at gold. can't imagine what it's like at platinum or diamond.
  • bosshog90210bosshog90210 Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    Idk how you guys do it. I'm literally stuck on round 4 every single time. They throw 3 curveballs in a row at me and I constantly you lose. It pops me up or I strike out. Is it better to just strike out when that happens and not swing so next at bat I can get a fastball? Feel like I've tried everything. 
    @bosshog90210 Keep trying. Woh rounds get easier and beatable as you try them over and over. Unless you have an absolutely stud batter, you probably won't get it in the first few tries. A word of advice is to match high arm with high power and high stuff with high hit. Another thing is when the pitcher walks you, be sure to swing late if the next pitch is a fastball. Some pitchers (usually the ones in the higher rounds) walk batters just to force double plays with a rotten fastball.
  • deshaldyldeshaldyl Registered Users, Member 31 Posts
    I agree @Tenwethe. I avoid the inevitable double play (after setup walk) by swinging late and slapping a hit to right 2 out 3 times and 1 of 3 times resulting in only my hitter getting the out, thus, driving in the all important man on 3rd. - One thing of note: all coaches will preach and teach you that you should never end and inning leaving a runner at 3rd base. It's like a cardinal sin in baseball....
    HRS4YESHUA
  • miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    Swinging late is definitely a key to beating Walk Off. 

Let's not bring baseball theory into this though @deshaldyl. Such talk has no place in the GLUiverse. 

According to Remedial Baseball 089 (prerequisite for Baseball 101), when you have runners on first and second with nobody out late in a tie game with the infield playing DP Depth, you almost always sacrifice bunt to advance the runners and stay out of the double play. This isn't even an option in this game. 

It's doubtful the developers would recognize Derek Jeter if he sat at one of their tables while they worked their night jobs as trendy SF waiters. They certainly wouldn't be able to find his former position on the field even if you took them to second base and turned them towards third. 
    @miggyrising
    I don't usually swing late because I am terrible at it and whenever i try to its usually a fly out, single, or foul. 
  • miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    @Tenwethe It's not so much swinging late as letting the ball travel a little deeper into the plate before swinging. 

I've found that physically moving my finger location for tapping farther back towards the bottom of the plate helps me let the ball travel a little more before I swing. If they throw offspeed, I can always push my finger forward towards the front of the plate to get better contact .
  • deerbanditdeerbandit Registered Users, Member 4 Posts
    This is definitely the case for me. It seems like the only time I cycle is if I spend a certain amount to keep playing.