Sprint/Win Streak Event?

JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
Am I missing something on these events based on win streaks? I always spend more gold refilling the energy bar than I get anything decent as far as rewards/prizes.

Is there some other way to capitalize on these types of events? I don't see the point in spending 1000 gold on a long win streak to win maybe 300-400 gold and some XP and crappy picks.

Comments

• MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    Yeah, welcome to the club.  The weekend event is mostly shot for this reason -- expensive bonus players and mostly useless rewards.  A lot of people still play for pride, but I'm basically done with the weekend events.  I usually do play the Sprint events for the gold rewards, but I don't go nuts on spending.   
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY refilling with gold for win streak never made sense to me as the prizes don't justify the gold spent. Maybe they help some in the beginning few months to get 1st round draft picks but after that it's just a waste of gold in my opinion. 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

For a stretch of the season I was buying the POTWs and then playing the Sprint events without spending gold to refill energy.  Was putting up decent point totals just by playing the free energy, and was filling out my roster with 5 stars.  But now, the 445 Game Changers (which I assume are the "new" POTWs) aren't any better than the players I have, so I'm not sure I'll be adopting the same strategy. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited October 2018
    I'm starting to hit that point in the game where you get a lot of gold for achievements for career stats (500 HR, 2000 RBI, 3000 hits, 5000 Ks, and so on). So right now it makes sense to play as many games as I can. But I'll probably just wait for Thursday to go nuts, that way I don't use a bunch of gold today. I have like 700 bonus game tickets.
    Personally I'd save gold for WOH.  It's the best way to improve your team, so long as you have the horses to win it consistently.   
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Yup, and I'm pretty frugal there now as well. I spent like 7k or 8k one week just hammering the retry button on the last guy- I probably restarted 35 times at 240 gold each time and still didn't win. Was the worst feeling ever haha. My last 3 guys are (silver tier) Stats Leader Merrifield 189, POTM Yelich 198 and Willie Mays 207 and I still have an excruciatingly difficult time with it.
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    It can feel like you'll never get back to 5.10 and so hitting the 240 gold restart can drain you. In my experience hitting the gold restart more than once is just wasting the gold, so restarting the level and working your way back to 5.10 will help get different pitch sequences and hopefully you'll get there. Availability to play obviously is another factor, so you do what you can.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    It can feel like you'll never get back to 5.10 and so hitting the 240 gold restart can drain you. In my experience hitting the gold restart more than once is just wasting the gold, so restarting the level and working your way back to 5.10 will help get different pitch sequences and hopefully you'll get there. Availability to play obviously is another factor, so you do what you can.

Agree, for a while when they had Diaz at 5.9 it made some sense.  Getting by Diaz or just seeing fastballs in general was a huge pain so when you did you didn't want to have to go through it again.

However now if getting to 5.10 isn't an issue then its best to save gold

@Sandpipers is right.  You'll get better results restarting than continuing to hit retry.  My new policy is two restarts (hopefully one free) on 5.10, then give up and start over.  It's been working well.  I cycled 3 times yesterday.  Probably could have cycled more than that if I spent more gold, but I'm cheap.
  • miggyrisingmiggyrising Registered Users, Member 162 Posts
    My club probably hates that I don't play 5 days out of every week right now simply because it's a complete waste. 

You're not missing anything when it comes to the events. GLU wants you to drop a bunch of money to chase bonus players in crappy boxes. Then, they want you to drop a ton more money to get the gold to play the event. 

Your reward? Bubkus.