Good Enough?

ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
I have never made it through Walk off Hero.  I've been trying to save Gold to give it a try when the team was good enough.  I am in silver and these are my best players:
R - Legend Michael Jack Schmidt, lefty skill 8, 206
R - NLCS Machado, RISP 8, 191
S - Clevland Ramirez, lefty skill 8, 184
R - Prime Posey, RISP 8, 182
R - Prime Mookie Betts, late inning 8, 178
R - Prime Goldschmidt, lefty skill 8 , 176
R - Clutch King Gomes, RISP 8, 161
L - NLCS Moustakas, Tie Game 8, 161
L - Calos Gonzalez, blowout 8, 160
L - Cool Shades Carlos Gomez, blowout 8, 160
R - Clutch King David Bote, 2 outs 8, 160

I don't have any top end lefty hitters.  Should I wait?

Prev1

Comments

• VellocetVellocet Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    You don't need gold to try. With your team you may be able to get to 5.10 depending on how much time you have then spend gold on retries. 
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @ReadingFightingPhils are your top 4 guys maxed? If so you should have a good shot but not having a top lefty hitter means that you may have to get lucky in the pitch sequence. If they keep the difficulty the same, as they should with multiple prize options for more cycles, then you should have a fair shot at it.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    All of my guys are maxed.  I can normally get close, but not having a high end lefty really hurts.  Is it better to use a switch hitter like Ramirez on the best righty or my highest rated guy (schmidt) who is a righty?
    @ReadingFightingPhils I would try Ramirez if the last guy is a righty and do the 80 gold boost. With the boost he would outrank the 5.10 pitcher easily and then it's just about getting the right pitch sequence. Others have posted that sometimes they can't cycle even with a maxed Mantle so if you don't get the right pitch sequence then it doesn't matter how good your last guy is but lefty vs. righty and vice versa is always a big plus.

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Yeah I've had a lot of trouble with the righties at the end of level 5 because all I had was a POTM Yelich for a lefty bat. I had Willie Mays capped for weeks now and it hasn't mattered because most of the time I can't even get to him.

That should change today since I have a 470 max legend lefty bat and he's capped at my tier. Can't wait to try out my new toy today. If I can't cycle > 3 times then I don't know what.... :)
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    I would also suggest going after a game changer box if there is a good leftie in it.  You will probably have to use the leftie 2x in the final 4 of level 5.

I might also add that I recently discovered that Prime Betts crushes Severino that is usually 5-6
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    Best of luck to all today. @JEDDDOGGY who's the new toy? I am hoping to add another 490 lefty to my toy collection today as well.

@Houmy I saved up 30,000 gold over the course of a few weeks and got George Brett this weekend. He has skill versus righties too. 

And I know who you’re referencing ;) I want him really bad too. Bought a handful of legend boxes with my 30k this weekend hoping to hit the glu lotto and land him (or would have taken Suzuki who is probably a beast as well).
    @JEDDDOGGY congrats on Brett. Yes adding Teddy Ballgame would just be super. With two 490 lefties up top they could throw all righties they want at me and if the pitch sequences are right cycling would be that much easier.

• MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    Houmy said:
    @JEDDDOGGY congrats on Brett. Yes adding Teddy Ballgame would just be super. With two 490 lefties up top they could throw all righties they want at me and if the pitch sequences are right cycling would be that much easier.

I'm actually okay with all RHPs already, because Posada/Muncy/Griffey can get it done.  But I want that Teddy anyway!
    @Metsicans same here with Giambi, Signature Muncy & Bernie Williams with 425 Freeman as a backup but like you I NEED Teddy also. Greedy little bunch we are ey? B)

• mynolesrockmynolesrock Registered Users, Member 45 Posts
    I find I have my best luck on WOH if I go Oppo on every hit.  
  • NAPREDATORS46NAPREDATORS46 Registered Users, Member 68 Posts
    It is pretty clear that no team will ever be"good enough " without spending a ton of gold. That becomes pretty evident each time you seem to be doing well then all the sudden its curve ball after curve ball until you spend a ton of gold. How about just let the game play glu without having to suck every penny you can out of the everyday players just trying to enjoy a hobby.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Ask any of the experienced woh guys here, and we will all tell you the same thing. Do not spend gold on restarts, play your way back to 5-10. Its not worth 240g to reply it. As you you pointed out the pitch sequence usually wont change. I made this mistake last week and I NEVER restart with gold anymore. I got stuck on Snell last week in 5-10 and no matter what I did or used I couldn't beat him. FB, Curves, it didn't matter. I spent about 3k gold on restarts and still couldn't beat him. Took a break for a few hours, came back to it and cycles 4 or 5 times with ease as usual. Point is, do not spend gold on restarts! Play your way back and autoplay 1 to 6 if you can.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • NAPREDATORS46NAPREDATORS46 Registered Users, Member 68 Posts
    Good advice, that's usually how I play it. I've cycled twice in the royals but never on Monday. It's very frustrating 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Mondays are always tougher it seems. Its not just you guys. Its get frustrating as well, take a break and come back to it. Always helps me. Better to spend blue cash autoplayin and losing then using gold and losing. Post your teams and im sure guys will give you advice. 

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    I made it to the end this week, all the way to 5.10, but came up short.  Hopefully Wednesday I will get my first victory.  I didn't use much gold since tapjoy/glu bug thing is holding about 4k of my offer gold ransom.
  • mynolesrockmynolesrock Registered Users, Member 45 Posts
    last week I dropped only 40 gold to get through it the first time.  This time it cost me over 2k gold and that was after dozens of attempts with lesser gold.  Not sure if I just didn't have it or it was tougher this week.
    I went 0 for 23 against Maeda yesterday. He was rated 171 in silver, and I was using fully boosted Mays (281) and fully boosted G. Brett (273) and never got within two runs of him in all of those attempts. Yes, it was easy getting back to him but at one point I got frustrated and rage-restarted about 10 times lol so essentially I spent a ton of my time on this and about 4500 gold and came away with some bonus game tickets and about 170 useless draft picks.
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    The best thing we can do for ourselves is to limit ourselves to 1 gold restart. If it's not there after that, restart the level, because 99% it won't ever be there continuing to plug gold into the machine. Almost everytime I play woh, my first pass through the levels is the easiest but if I don't cycle, I can expect 2-3 hours of frustration with several pitchers in level 5, trying to get back to 5.10. When I do eventually cycle, getting back to level 5 can be a significant challenge, losing to pitchers on autoplay multiple times that I never lose to first times through. Only once have i multi-cycled with what I would describe as a reasonable amount of challenge. Most mutli-cycles for me are very time consuming and frustrating with the number of level restarts I have to do and the multiple extra innings to get past rounds. Now, I rarely use gold boosts until the last 2 rounds of level 5 unless I know there might be an increased difficulty with a certain pitcher/batter combo (like righty turner vs Jansen but I only did it a couple of times at 20g, but 80g Reggie vs Maeda every time). So maybe if I did more boosting or allowed myself to gold restart once in awhile in earlier rounds or even levels, it wouldn't be as painful, but then again I'd be talking about spending 4-5k in gold instead of my usual 1k.
    I agree 100% that overwhelmingly, for many of us, it's the pitch sequence that matters more than anything, but your roster and skill can certainly improve your results when a particular round barely gives you enough good stuff to hit. Compare those skilled players with strong rosters who cycle 10 plus times in less than half the time versus me who is very happy getting 3 cycles after significant effort and a whole day.
    Last thing: I've noticed quite a number of changes to various pitchers throughout the levels in terms of the pitch sequences and also my ability to hit sweeping curves for singles, doubles and even the odd homer now, so you really have to be on your toes.
    It's all done with mirrors
    dkarski87 said:
    Mondays are always tougher it seems. Its not just you guys. Its get frustrating as well, take a break and come back to it. Always helps me. Better to spend blue cash autoplayin and losing then using gold and losing. Post your teams and im sure guys will give you advice. 

And to add to @dkarski87 's idea about Monday's being tougher I have had better luck pulling legends on Wednesdays versus Mondays. Or maybe it's just the temporary frustration making me think that way. I think I will start tracking it to see how it plays out from this Wednesday. Do any of you remember what days Edmonds and Bernie Williams were offered?

edited November 2018
    @Sandpipers totally agree.

I have noticed if I am using a L v R or vice versa that I can actually hit some of those curveballs. Don't think I've had any success hitting them if I'm using R vs R or L v L though. So that seems to be the key there, to me at least.

Actually, I was getting plenty of fastballs against Maeda yesterday... just nearly everything was an out. Line drive to middle infielder, warning track fly ball, grounder up the middle but the infield shift got me, et cetera.
  • nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY there were actually times where I hit the curve for a home run using a L v R or vice versa. Shocks me every time that happens lol. But I too have noticed that only happens when using a hitter opposite the pitchers throwing arm, and a very large gap in Stuff vs Hit rating. It never happens in the final 3 pitchers of level 5. At least not for me. Also, I have noticed when you get to a pitcher throwing fastballs and you are lining out, grounding out, and flying out. Using the 20% boost will turn those into hits and home runs. I just don't have the gold to do that all the time lol. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
    edited November 2018
    Yup, my POTM Yelich was destroying Jansen and was able to get hits off of his curveballs. One time he doubled and then homered two straight pitches, both curveballs. I was amazed lol. Of course his POTM boost went away about 2 or 3 hours before the event ended and I had trouble finding anyone who could beat him with any regularity after that point. 
    I actually hit a sweeping curve from maeda for a homer with Reggie boosted by 80g...unfortunately it was the only hit of that round, sigh...
    I agree with @nym5fan and @Sandpipers when it comes to those sweeping curves. If the app decides to make them hittable then the only way to hit would pretty much be LvR or vice versa and I did have a few instances myself yesterday where I would hit them for a homer.

My best run of the day was stopped by a triple play, I then went straight to bed angry.
    Did you have your supper first?  ;) 
    Seriously though, there's been a slight increase in double and triple plays off of line drives... usually when you think you're gonna finally make it through a particular round
  • nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    @Sandpipers my favorite is the opposite field grounder and the runner on third holds when he would be the winning or tying run. lol gets me every time! Another fan fav of mine is the leadoff DP, usually a very damming situation. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
    @nym5fan you mean the same runner that comes all the way around scoring from 1st base of all bases in CVC but somehow doesn't get the green light in WOH? Yeah I know that guy :rage: