An elimination manual play tourney based on actual skill in the game - Your thoughts?

HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
Greetings forum friends. Another one of the VIP players that was invited to the VIP council but did not make the trip has brought up an interesting concept and I wanted to get your thoughts and input on it. All credit for this idea goes to TSB18 user IncredibleMulk who is currently crushing yours truly in a private match :# . Here is what he proposes:

An elimination tourney based on ACTUAL skill in the game.
- everyone’s team in tourney set to same strength (or maybe just identical)
- games played manually (no auto play)
- bracket style elimination, with time constraints.

Your thoughts and suggestions are as always welcomed and encouraged.

"Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

Comments

• louisawesomelouisawesome Registered Users, Member 64 Posts
    Great idea 
  • tribeWS18tribeWS18 Registered Users, Member 71 Posts
    Great idea, sounds like fun but whats in it for glu? I dont think our satisfaction with our game experience is worth much.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @tribeWS18 good question. As anything else in the game there would be a cost associated with it of course. Blue cash or gold as entry fee for example. Seeing that the gold home run battles are off the menue thanks to the hackera I'd think cash entry fees.

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I think it’s a fantastic idea, until someone sets their players’ ratings to bronze 80 and crushes us before they get jailed 
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea... might be just as good to allow teams to challenge each other regardless of relative team strength (maybe within a range) and let some game strategy/management come into play. Both sides pick their starting pitcher, sub any position at will, steal, bunt at will, etc. ... ok, I went too far ;)
    Was just thinking that game features could be more controlled by the user, including pitching....not really throwing the ball but doing pitch selection, including pick offs and pitch outs....now I've really gone too far lol
    It's all done with mirrors
  • PdidsPdids Registered Users, Member 19 Posts
    edited November 2018
    My Club has been doing this for months, it is awesome. We have a season, playoffs and WS. This has been more fun than the weekly events put on by GLU have been.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Very nice @Bigpredfan!
  • Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    Love it! Winner gets a weeklong max boost to all their players? Then we can all see what happens when the best player also has the best possible team 😯
  • forlornclamstampforlornclamstamp Registered Users, Member 61 Posts
    you'd have to be able to set the lineup based on how you play. so it would take time to initially start the tournament unless thered be presets and after a while itll end up like homerun battle. cant find a match to save my life. this would be  a great concept interclub. and if they were to randomize the lineup everytime, wouldn't that mean a ton more work on glu s end. and get rid of that damn franchise coin in the box. have enough coin to employ the whole mlb. haha
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    How much actual skill is there in the game?  So much is based on RNG statistics;  even if you think you're controlling the action there is a fair amount that is laid off onto the spin of the wheel.  True, choosing pitches and timing plays a part, but not a large enough one to make a tournament fun or "fair".  Scripts will win and those are based on the inherent attributes of each team and how they stack up against another.  

Have a look at CvC...how well does that work in terms of actual skill if played manually?  I still can't figure out the voodoo behind the algorithms associated with that competition.  

Too much of the game gets run through the algorithm grinder to actually produce anything that resembles a "true" test.  For me the enjoyment comes from the management aspects;  team building, batting order, chasing xp dragons to shore up different areas of the squad.  Actual gameplay is down to autoplay more often than not as that part of the experience feels like reading a script much of the time for me.  WOH necessitates final rounds to be manually played, but outside of that I rarely play except for fun games between friends even if the gameplay feels/is somewhat random.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    What are you talking about? I remember hitting a ton of fly balls that have resulted in a tag up and walk off win. And what about a ground ball with a guy on third? Yep, another walk off winner! I know I have done that many times. BTW...can you tell me the way to Shell Beach?!?!?!🤔
    @bigvivec your RNG statement may be true but some may just be bad at hitting so manual play would be a disadvantage to them.

• bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Houmy said:
    @bigvivec your RNG statement may be true but some may just be bad at hitting so manual play would be a disadvantage to them.
    My point is that this game was never designed to be one that was overly weighted on hand/eye coordination skill. It's a one handed tap game that can be played while walking to the subway and to base a competition that focuses on the weaknesses/deficiencies of the game engine would in short not be much fun.

@bigvivec so you are saying that simply tapping on autoplay like most events in this game is more fun than actually competing against other live players? 

• matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    I don't like it....I LOVE IT.

make that change :)
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    edited November 2018
    Wait there’s skill in this game? I thought the monkey pressed some buttons and decided how many bases I get. 🤔