Options

How glu can sell more bonus players

whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
edited November 2018 in General TSB Discussion
Seems to me that Glu could sell more bonus players if they started at your current level.  When I was bronze and silver I would buy them weekly, especially potw.  Once you move past silver you quickly find xp is a valuable commodity and can’t be wasted on a temporary player.

I would make a bet that most of the teams that are gold or above, and buy bonus players, are benefiting from a hack or loader. Glu doesn’t benefit anyway. ( Note I said “most”, I’m sure some higher level legit teams but as well)

I for one would buy Game Changer weekly if he started at my level (gold 1) but I will not buy them if they start at bronze 1.  I’m sure I am not the only one.  Imagine xp needed if you were platinum or gasp..... diamond!
I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
- Blueleopard

Comments

• Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Everyone in my club buys 4-10 boxes pretty much 3x per week.  Almost everyone takes shots at the Game Changers, Potws and Potm's  when they were around, weekend boxes and the prime event boxes.  Would it be more accessible if players started out same level as it was last year?  Sure.  But don't make that bet;  I have gone through a few clubs and gold was regularly spent in all of them.  Last weekend I managed to buy (legit) 5 bonus players.  It happens.
  • Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    Everyone in my club buys 4-10 boxes pretty much 3x per week.  Almost everyone takes shots at the Game Changers, Potws and Potm's  when they were around, weekend boxes and the prime event boxes.  Would it be more accessible if players started out same level as it was last year?  Sure.  But don't make that bet;  I have gone through a few clubs and gold was regularly spent in all of them.  Last weekend I managed to buy (legit) 5 bonus players.  It happens.
    I haven’t bought a bonus player box since mid summer, and I’m one of those players who plays this game whenever I have a free minute. There are plenty of clubs that still spend on them, but not nearly as many as there used to be. 

I’ve spent about $80 on this game (a time least to Glu directly), I’m not someone who values becoming a VIP. If I bought boxes as often as you, I’d be hundreds of dollars deeper.  Personally, I’m not looking to invest at that level. And buying 12 versions of the same player isn’t going to change my mind. 
  • Options
    You don't know me;  I buy all my boxes with gold from videos watched.  I'm relating the experience I've had in the higher level clubs I've been in, most of them VIP heavy, not just my own.  We all buy boxes and lots of them, pretty much every day.  Everyone is able to approach this game the way they want;  the clubs I've been in an am in value team contribution and high finishes over individual team building.  For instance on Royale day, we don't cycle as many times as possible, but do some then take a bonus player or two and work them through the competition they qualify for so the the club gets points.  Buying rental weekend box players is the same.  I don't need those players for my team, but the club does for its bottom line.  Again, no "right" way to play this game, just find a group of like minded people and make a club together.  

You'd be booted from our club;  not buying a bonus player since summer?  I've been in clubs full of individual team builders and sandbaggers....drags the whole club down since they ride the production of a few strong players who fairly quickly tire of carrying the club and move on.  How do you contribute to the club meaningfully?  

The way we approach is for top 10 finishes;  but like I said there are lots of ways to play this game.
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    @bigvivec i agree and i like that club philosophy, but glu has made it hard to actually quantify how much effort a team is puttin to help the club when a team does not use real money. The reason i’m saying this is because you may watch 250 videos in a day and get 1000 gold for 2 boxes, or 4 boxes if you watch more and they are double gold, doesn’t matter. Opening 4-8 boxes in a day may not guarantee you getting a player so how ca your club actually notice you are making a huge effort watching all those videos. If you end up inone of those horrible slumps where nothing out of 20 boxes, it could be a whole week without getting a player that could contribute to the club points. 
    Will you kick this team after a week of not showing anything good? You cannot tell if the guy was watching videos or not playing the game at all. So it is not that simple.
    Thanks glu, one more time.
  • Options
    @topcan....I've (and everyone has had) those horrible 0-for slumps that seem to go on forever.  It's all about having your mindset in the same place;  its hard to maintain a facade of a hard worker/contributor if you're just not.  If you don't get a bonus guy for the weekend but still grind out 3m points at 1.5k/hit or do you play once and post a score of 420 and call it a weekend but still qualify for whatever everyone else works for?  Props to the club leader, he sorts through this and keeps us free of freeloaders.  Thing is where the gold comes from isn't the issue....if I make the effort to watch videos so that I have 5k going into the weekend or if I pull out my credit card and buy a mountain so I'm loaded up it really is beside the point....point being come ready to play and contribute in a positive spirit and without the usual excuses from 2/3 of the membership heard most places.   

So if someone is slumping, it's a slump.  When they come out of it, hit on a bonus player, they make sure to throw down to make up for the missed contributions.  This builds in the club and keeps the momentum and good feelings.  Those sandbagging are pretty transparent and get shown the door quickly.
  • Options
    nym5fannym5fan Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Man am I glad I am in the club I am in... We operate totally differently and we still do pretty well. Top 25 all week this week. We are a diamond club and get at least tier 5 every event, some tier 6/7. But we don't force anyone to buy anything. We just ask they play and are active. If they have bonus players we expect them to get points for the club. @JEDDDOGGY @ChiefHag @lenard and @buaya123 can attest to our clubs success and culture. 
    From Wentz he came, he shall be returned!
  • Options
    nym5fan said:
    Man am I glad I am in the club I am in... We operate totally differently and we still do pretty well. Top 25 all week this week. We are a diamond club and get at least tier 5 every event, some tier 6/7. But we don't force anyone to buy anything. We just ask they play and are active. If they have bonus players we expect them to get points for the club. @JEDDDOGGY @ChiefHag @lenard and @buaya123 can attest to our clubs success and culture. 
    Yeah, the guy telling me I’d be booted is just playing a different style. Whether you pay money or spend all day watching videos, every day, that is not what I view as enjoyable. I would venture to guess that in that club I’m not welcome in, i would be a top player in Royale (over 200m usually) and walkoff (6-10m). I just choose not to play on weekends as opposed to wasting money on rental players. So I leave my club for the weekend and do my own thing. I provide value on the other days. 

I should amend what I said earlier though...I did buy POTW boxes through September. To help on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. When the season ended I stopped that. 
  • Options
    nym5fan said:
    Don't get me wrong....nobody forces anybody to do anything.  The culture at my club is similar to yours....we just all want to do better than top 25 and 5th tier and do.  

BTW, Mets, your team strength is almost identical to mine and we put up very similar numbers.  Im probably the 6-7th best in my club;  don't let it go to your head, you're not that special.
  • Options
    bigvivec said:
    nym5fan said:
    Don't get me wrong....nobody forces anybody to do anything.  The culture at my club is similar to yours....we just all want to do better than top 25 and 5th tier and do.  

BTW, Mets, your team strength is almost identical to mine and we put up very similar numbers.  Im probably the 6-7th best in my club;  don't let it go to your head, you're not that special.
    did I ever claim to be special? lol
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    bigvivec said:

Why is this part needing to be said?  There is no need for that. 
  • Options
    Metsicans said:

Yeah, the guy telling me I’d be booted is just playing a different style. Whether you pay money or spend all day watching videos, every day, that is not what I view as enjoyable. I would venture to guess that in that club I’m not welcome in, i would be a top player in Royale (over 200m usually) and walkoff (6-10m).
    Read carefully bigpred;  it was in response to this.  Aside from the fact that his team and numbers do not warrant special treatment at my club, the point I was making was that what the members at my club find enjoyable is in achievement and working together to meet similar goals.  We wouldn't have a place for a sometime player as we're all in it every day.  I took offence to his comment since his "venture to guess" alludes to his high opinion of himself and his thoughts that any club would be happy to have him.  We would not.  I found the comment arrogant and responded to that;  fact is while his claimed production is good (nowhere near the actual production numbers on his profile), it really is nothing special in my club and would not warrant any special consideration since good contributors as well as the not so good all stick to the common agreement of a real effort for daily production. 

Thanks for the concern Bigpred,, nothing to see here or need to stand in.
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited November 2018
    bigvivec said:
    Metsicans said:

Yeah, the guy telling me I’d be booted is just playing a different style. Whether you pay money or spend all day watching videos, every day, that is not what I view as enjoyable. I would venture to guess that in that club I’m not welcome in, i would be a top player in Royale (over 200m usually) and walkoff (6-10m).
    Read carefully bigpred;  it was in response to this.  Aside from the fact that his team and numbers do not warrant special treatment at my club, the point I was making was that what the members at my club find enjoyable is in achievement and working together to meet similar goals.  We wouldn't have a place for a sometime player as we're all in it every day.  I took offence to his comment since his "venture to guess" alludes to his high opinion of himself and his thoughts that any club would be happy to have him.  We would not.  I found the comment arrogant and responded to that;  fact is while his claimed production is good (nowhere near the actual production numbers on his profile), it really is nothing special in my club and would not warrant any special consideration since good contributors as well as the not so good all stick to the common agreement of a real effort for daily production. 

Thanks for the concern Bigpred,, nothing to see here or need to stand in.
    I would say that in 95% of the clubs out there he would be the top guy for those days. 

Venture to guess meant he would believe that to be true with what information he has 

No need for any disrespect is what I’m saying. I’m not really standing or butting in as it is a public forum. 

Edit. Different groups like to play different ways. To each their own, but maybe something like “your team looks great, but it wouldn’t be special in this club as it would fit in with a lot of other teams here” would have sounded better.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    LOL, so his arrogance would be ok 95% of the time?!?!  BigPred, what are you on about?  
    I think I said what I meant and it was clear.  He (or I) don't need your help.
  • Options
    whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Wow... did this get off topic quickly!  Post wasn’t about buying boxes for your club, or all players starting at your level.  My point of the thread is if BONUS BOX players started at your level, glu would sell more.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Options
    @bigvivec there was no arrogance in my comment. And I never claimed to be special. One thing you are right about though is you were clear with your message. Funny thing is though, you are the one that took the time to look me up and compare stats. I never claimed I was a top performer or some special team. I simply stated the culture of the club I am in and how we don't require (I used the word force before) teams to buy boxes to stay in our club. Doesn't make my club or yours better, but I am glad I am in a club like mine is what I was saying. Just different cultures of clubs with different goals. Anyways, like @Bigpredfan stated "No need for any disrespect".
  • Options
    lenardlenard Registered Users, Member 88 Posts
    @nym5fan you got that right! Our club is one of the best that I have ever been in!
  • Options
    bigvivec said:
    nym5fan said:

You’re absolutely right, tap sports does not make me special. We’re just posting on a message board, bro. 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    edited November 2018
    Ugh, I'm about to dig my own grave, but there's no reason for guys like myself or anyone in my club to chase weekend box players when the best ones will be the WoH rewards. On top of that, as OP pointed out, it's difficult to level players if you're gold and above. That said, it's consistent with GLU's approach: they want us to chase resources, rather than players. They've held strong with that approach all year so I can only assume things are going as planned.

As far as club culture is concerned, that''s a whole different topic. In my club, a person's involvement in our group chat carries more weight than their actual tsb production. There are a couple of guys in my club who consistently don't score much, but I would never boot them because they make the game more fun for everyone else. Point being, there's no right way to play. If you're having fun, you're doing it right. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    Amen @DFBB
  • Options
    Am I confused here or what? I thought that @bigvivec comment was meant for @Metsicans, not for @nym5fan, so the answers seem to be crossed.
    Just saying.
  • Options
    @tocopan18 either way the comment was unnecessary from @bigvivec. Neither @Metsicans nor I were claiming to be special.
  • Options
    SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    I don't get personal attacks in forums where people are sharing their experiences and point of view. You don't have to agree with anyone's comments, but you certainly don't need to attack them either. Thankfully, there's enough respectful contributors on here who will call out such behaviour.
    Btw, I agree with @tocopan18 but regardless, no need to do personal attacks. Second btw, @nym5fan is a great example of a respectful contributor to this forum.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Options
    ^ @Sandpipers you are a great respectful contributor as well bro!
  • Options
    @nym5fan, I totally agree with you. Not only was the comment unnecessary, but I also thin uncalled for.
    I was just pointing that out to make you feel "better" ?! B)  
  • Options
    Didn't bother me either way @tocopan18 because I never thought I was special to begin with. lol. But appreciate it man. 
  • Options
    nym5fan said:
    @bigvivec there was no arrogance in my comment. And I never claimed to be special. One thing you are right about though is you were clear with your message. Funny thing is though, you are the one that took the time to look me up and compare stats. I never claimed I was a top performer or some special team. I simply stated the culture of the club I am in and how we don't require (I used the word force before) teams to buy boxes to stay in our club. Doesn't make my club or yours better, but I am glad I am in a club like mine is what I was saying. Just different cultures of clubs with different goals. Anyways, like @Bigpredfan stated "No need for any disrespect".
    I was addressing metsicans, not you.  Have a glass of water, it's ok.