Options

WOH Stats

jampaladinjampaladin Registered Users, Member 10 Posts
Is hitting or power more important for WOH?

Comments

• Options
    benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    My view has been hitting is important - others may have different opinion. This guy was a beast for me back in the summer and my conclusion was because of his high hit score
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    For 5.9 and 5.10 power is more important. You barely get consecutive fastballs so a guy hitting extrabases or homeruns is most useful than a guy hitting many hits and once the bases are loaded and you maybe scored one run, you start getting curveballs and inning is over. 
  • Options
    tocopan18 said:
    For 5.9 and 5.10 power is more important. You barely get consecutive fastballs so a guy hitting extrabases or homeruns is most useful than a guy hitting many hits and once the bases are loaded and you maybe scored one run, you start getting curveballs and inning is over. 
    True, getting bases loaded on 5.10 then GIDP really sucks
  • Options
    BigHurtBigHurt Registered Users, Member 157 Posts
    edited January 2019
    I was never able to cycle until I got (in a freebie box) Legend Torii Hunter. I (stupidly) didn't jump at BF Harper and Yelich when given the opportunity, and that I regret. Regardless, Torrii (Max 490), in gold, has a hit/power/speed of 298/305/208. While not the most ideal guy for the 5.10, he could get the job done at least a couple months ago, and the thing I liked about him is he had a high hit and power number, with just the slight edge to power. I believe the best guys for the last 3 or 4 pitchers have both a very high hit and power rating (and skills also matter), but with just the slight edge to power as @tocopan18 stated. 
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    edited January 2019
    Especially for 5.10 at least to start you just want base runners.  Singles, XBHs I couldn’t care less I just want to at least get the tying run to the plate, I’m not worried about the GIDP because that meant I screwed up.  You can’t make more than one out at a time on the “unhittable” pitches anyway.  Also to have more than a lucky RNG 5% chance to win anyway these days you’ll want a hitter with two skills active anyway, preferably 480+ with the platoon advantage (ex L vs R) and at those levels with 11+ per skill + 20% boost probably provides enough power to get that clutch double or walk off home run to win.  I also am one of those that believes rating differences between you and the pitcher affects the number of hitable pitches you see over time.  
  • Options
    Especially for 5.10 at least to start you just want base runners.  Singles, XBHs I couldn’t care less I just want to at least get the tying run to the plate, I’m not worried about the GIDP because that meant I screwed up.  You can’t make more than one out at a time on the “unhittable” pitches anyway.  Also to have more than a lucky RNG 5% chance to win anyway these days you’ll want a hitter with two skills active anyway, preferably 480+ with the platoon advantage (ex L vs R) and at those levels with 11+ per skill + 20% boost probably provides enough power to get that clutch double or walk off home run to win.  I also am one of those that believes rating differences between you and the pitcher affects the number of hitable pitches you see over time.  
    So the higher the batter is over the pitcher the more fastballs they throw?
  • Options
    So the higher the batter is over the pitcher the more fastballs they throw?
    Absolutely..... push the skills up as high as u can afford and pick ur batters to ensure both skills are active at each match up through 5.7 to 5.10
  • Options
    This is where I have Mantle vs a 5.10 lefty who was 270 i think
  • Options
    Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    edited January 2019
    One thing I'll add for WOH, don't be afraid to pause the game briefly to think about your strategy.

For example, say I'm on 5-10, and the situation is 1st and 3rd, 1 out, and I trail 8-5, with Living Legend Votto, who has RHP and RISP skill boosts.  Pitch 1 is a pitch I know cannot be a hit.  Am I going to swing at pitch 2? 

No, I am not.  I am going to strike out looking if necessary.   Reason being,  if I swing, I may very well hit a sac fly.  Now the situation is 8-6.  I'm no closer to winning, the tying run comes to the plate again, but now I have lost my RISP boost.  There's no purpose in trying to obtain a sac fly in Walkoff Hero UNLESS it is the tying run.  

Now with the situation above, say it were 8-6 instead of 8-5.  With that score, I might swing and try to put it in play.  Reason here, if I can hit a dribbler on the ground, I may be able to advance the runner on 1st to 2nd, and thus have a chance to tie on a single with 2 outs.  

Lot of situations and not all decisions are cut and dry.
  • Options
    thickagethickage Registered Users, Member 227 Posts
    Can't tell you how many times versus Tommy John I was down three runs with two outs and two on... And Mantle tied it with a HR. I think you should look for a guy who has a good mix of both hit and power because you'll need to string several hits together, but you're also going to need someone that can tie it up with one swing. Mantle at Gold 10 has 328 hit and 339 power ratings and was about 50% successful versus John. 

I've seen other posts that swear by matching up power hitters for slower pitchers versus high hit ratings for the flame throwers, but I've never really considered it in that way. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else also uses that philosophy.

• Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,722 Posts
    I think that skills play a very important part in walk off. Holiday ted has double skill against right handed pitching and Edgar has double skill against LHP so I use them fior 5-9 and 5-10. I have another ted with the same overall rating but double skill in cvc and GE doesn’t do as well in walk off
  • Options
    KCCardKCCard Registered Users, Member 20 Posts
    For me hit rating is more important than power. I just slap singles opposite field. I know I need 7 hits to win and just count them down.  Also, I’m pretty sure skill are either on or off for entire inning of WO. My Bench with bases empty crushes 5-10 but  only because that skill stays on. He struggles 5-9 because that skill is off.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Relatively irrelevant IMO...I believe comes down to a combination total score based on all stats incl skills, pennants, intangibles, and things like if you just leveled a skill or took a player in the squad up a level.  That overall score gets passed to the RNG and the chance wheel gets spun with the degree of bias weighted by that score given.