sandbaggers ruin the game for everyone

GSonpointGSonpoint Registered Users, Member 37 Posts
It certainly amazes me how all of the guys that purposefully keep a gold team consider themselves royalty in this game.  Yes, the loophole is there to exploit, but you obviously don't have to spend much, and your team is easy to cap, allowing you to conserve evo, gold, and xp for bonus players and cash for maxing upgrades.  Did you not think that Glu would not figure out that you aren't really helping the bottom line of the game by sandbagging? WoH is the beginning of the end for domination by sandbaggers.  Do I regret leveling up my team, as the game is intended to have you do, absolutely.  But only because it keeps me out of the free stuff that the sandbaggers get while not having to spend a quarter of the money.  I have had to spend more, and sacrifice more to get where I am, and rarely have an excess of anything with a team full of prime and legend two skill players.  The game is unbalanced with so many keeping their reigns pulled back, and there should never be a moment when a Gold team reaps the same rewards as a Diamond team from an event, and if that's so, then the diamond team should face the exact difficulty pitchers and teams as the gold team.  In gold, your best players are maxed around 300, who is going to dominate when the diamond club guys are closer to 400 or more?  Glu has obviously figured out where they aren't making money, and I believe this is a step in the actual leveling of the playing field.  I really don't think significant change will happen with the final weeks of 2018, but 2019 will be different.  When it comes down to it, Many that dominate 2018 will be part of the white noise of 2019 if they don't want to spend the money to actually strengthen their team.  There aren't many diamond clubs crying over the WoH changes, lol, they usually don't cycle anyway. 
Prev1

Comments

• redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    Unfortunately in games that are grindy and despite the overwhelming negativity glu takes (a lot of it is valid and needs to be addressed in some way) this game is pretty popular and there’s always a way that is optimal and efficient.  The way the game is set up it is better to sit in a tier a lot longer than you would otherwise.  It wasn’t till later in the season that higher tier teams scored more club points per game.  I did advance fairly slowly spending months in Gold, acquiring players and resources eventually I moved on to platinum and diamond where I am now.  What you call sandbagging in many cases are players attempting to be efficient as the vast majority of players aren’t willing or able to throw cash into the mix (personally I spent 60 dollars directly to glu, another 20-30 for things in tapjoy).  We’ll see how glu handles leveling in ‘19 and like ‘17/‘18 there will be an optimal path and most will follow it.
  • LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    I don't see it as sandbagging, I see it as strategy.  Why would I level up to a new tier before I'm ready?  If I can cycle WOH at silver but don't yet have the resources to be able to do the same at gold, why would I make the move?  Believe it or not, TSB is a game of strategy as much as anything else.  It sounds like you are upset because others have chosen a strategy that has proven to be superior to your own.  The game is designed so that the most strategic players are able to build the best teams.  It is time and effort, not money, that determines whose teams are the most successful.  I am a VIP and I have spent a lot of money, but I am not mad at those who have chosen better strategy to outbuild me...I applaud them for their foresight.
    Proud TSB VIP!
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @GSonpoint what's your team strength in Diamond? 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• GSonpointGSonpoint Registered Users, Member 37 Posts
    that is all true, but not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that building a team in a year long game, especially when you come in at the six month mark, means playing alot of catch up.  I accept my errors and look to improve my own situation with 2019.  People whining that they aren't getting enough free stuff is just funny to me.  If I had started the game at the beginning of the release, I probably wouldve done it different.  I like the challenges of what I have done, but think that rewards whould be based on what you have to put into the game to strengthen your team.  a platinum or diamond team takes much more work and resources to strengthen to a formidable team than gold.  why whould the gold teams play for the same rewards?   The minor leagues don't pay like the Majors...

I understand so much more about it now than when I began in August.  I enjoy it, and I enjoy the interaction within my club.  we learn together.  Would I have done it different with more knowledge, yes, will I for 2019, probably.  However, Glu killed the diamond levels with the ridiculous resource requirements for leveling players.  many of the guys holding at gold take all the rewards from events, and diamond teams can't compete for the good loot, even though most of those diamond teams could crush any of the gold teams, simply because the way it is set up.  Strategy is fine, but the little guys should not be whipping the big guys.  the big guys need those rewards for leveling their main team, the little guys hoard it for bonus players, and cap them out as they get them.  I see both angles, I just think the dynamic is screwed up when I watched my rewards disappear after leveling to diamond. 
  • snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    I get your point, but people typically don’t want to move up due to the ridiculous prices in leveling your players. Cash, gold, and the amount of XP it takes to level up one player in diamond is absurd. I think it possibly could be different if players didn’t start at bronze. I sat in gold the entire year and wish I didn’t. The amount of money I spent on this game could habe went towards creating a real strong team. I am in diamond now and believe or not love playing tournament and bonus games. I know I wont cycle WOH until I reach a certain point, but that doesn’t bother me.

There are three things I hate about diamond: season mode, the resources needed to level players, and stupid freaking useless franchise coins in the tournament boxes. 
    @Houmy, im right below 140,000.  but gave up quite a bit of team strength to build my prime and legends.  most of my team is 500 max or higher, but everything is so pricey at this level that I am basically just spinning my wheels until 2019 comes out.  I won't be evolving anyone to diamond.  it's just too expensive and I beat most teams with the platinum guys i have.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited February 2019
    GSonpoint said:
    What I am saying is that building a team in a year long game, especially when you come in at the six month mark, means playing alot of catch up.  

What players were released before the six month mark (September-ish?) would be a viable roster option for a team now in February? We had 375 max, then 400 max, then 425 max, then 1 skill players, then 445 max, then 470-475 max, then 490 max, then 2 skills, then 500 max, then 510 max, then 525 max, etcetera. You're just straight funneling resources into the garbage like that.

What I am actually looking at now is to stay with my current team in 18 and play the "dead" events for XP and other resources, continue to level/build my team instead of jumping into 19 right away and spinning my wheels for 8 1/2 months spending resources on players that will hit the recycle bin every 4-6 weeks. If 19 is like 18, I'll probably consider jumping into it around October or so.
    true, but if you stay at gold, everyone gets capped, and the requirement for resources isn't there.  you can stockpile everything you need, and when the players do come out, you are ready.  trying to make a stronger team through platinum and diamond you don't have that stockpile, and when they release the bonus players, you might get them, but the resources to build them are too precious.  I see what you are saying, but if the resources don't transfer, staying to build them is in vain.
    "true, but if you stay at gold, everyone gets capped, and the requirement for resources isn't there."

If I plan to someday move past Gold, which I would, then the requirement for resources is there. Will need them for the next tier.

"...
    platinum and diamond you don't have that stockpile, and when they release the bonus players, you might get them, but the resources to build them are too precious."

I am at Diamond and level bonus players only to Gold 10 and they perform just fine.

"
    I see what you are saying, but if the resources don't transfer, staying to build them is in vain."1

I would never build resources just to have them. It's why I enjoy the challenge of Diamond. You can't just cap your whole team immediately. I'll be saving, building to level my players; not simply to compile a "stash" to look at.
    @GSonpoint at team strength of 140K there are silver teams that are rated much higher than you so it's not really an accomplishment if you are diamond and that much less in strength than teams in lower tiers so could it be that those "sandbaggers" just played it smarter?

Not sure why you think those in gold consider themselves royalty simply because they, me included, have built a strong team and realize that jumping tiers too soon without resources makes no sense and would prevent you from winning? Not much of a status to be gained if you are diamond and still outperformed by gold or even silver teams. What good is a Diamond team if your players are still gold or lower which I have to assume with a 140K team strength?

@snowy24, i feel you on the franchise coins.  Season mode isn't as bad once you build your pitchers through platinum.  Pitching is critical for season mode once you go diamond.  the gold, especially, in leveling players, was a huge slap to the face once putting a guy into diamond, and ultimately made my decision to not take my guys past platinum.  it would be different if they simply updated the game, and didn't start a new one every year.  I don't mind spending, and will on occasion to get a really good player or fill a need, but with the premium xp prices already so high, and it not going very far, leveling through diamond would be a waste of lots of money.  I would delete my account and start over before I committed to doing that.  I love my team, I have put lots into getting the guys I have, and once they all hit platinum 10, I won't worry too much about anything else. 

like i said, @Houmy, I have replaced many of the players i had with legend and prime two-skill players, and am leveling them up now.  my team strength is mostly player strength, yours is skill strength.  I have to spend alot more for player strength to get capped (which I really won't be doing for diamond) LOL . I can't afford the resources to do that and max skills, it was a learning process, and continues to be.  when the two skill guys came out, I was already too far gone,  so this team is pretty much all new guys I picked up over the last couple of months, trading reg xp guys off for skill leveling and evolving prime and legend guys.  I know that not all guys at gold think they are royalty.  I just think that its sad when a change is made to help others in the game, they start crying and whining that they aren't getting 10 times more loot than everyone else anymore.  Trust me, I will be watching and taking my time with 2019, this was my first year to play, and I will not go into 2019 as naive.
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Houmy said:
    @GSonpoint at team strength of 140K there are silver teams that are rated much higher than you so it's not really an accomplishment if you are diamond and that much less in strength than teams in lower tiers so could it be that those "sandbaggers" just played it smarter?

Not sure why you think those in gold consider themselves royalty simply because they, me included, have built a strong team and realize that jumping tiers too soon without resources makes no sense and would prevent you from winning? Not much of a status to be gained if you are diamond and still outperformed by gold or even silver teams. What good is a Diamond team if your players are still gold or lower which I have to assume with a 140K team strength?
    I could not agree more. My one regret its bouncing from Gold to Diamond without the resources. I have a 121k team in Diamond 4. I fair well in bonus games etc, but simply not having the resources to have a good majority of players in at least plat stinks. 19 i will totally do things differently. I also want to thank everyone on here, because I've learned a lot on how to play smart.

I think the only possible "sandbagging" are Clubs that stay in bronze just to demolish other low or upcoming clubs in CvC, but hey im not mad at that at all! I'm just here to have fun.
    and yes, much better strategies.  I just think that rewards should be based on team level, or whats the point.  many new guys come in not knowing, like i did, and think it will be better in higher ranks, and its not.  I tell all the new guys to do exactly what you are doing @Houmy
    there's no amount of resources that are enough when they keep releasing new versions of players that make your capped players obsolete, which is why the strategy of staying gold is the smartest strategy.  everyone gets capped quickly, and resources build for the new, stronger max players.
    this is a great, and informative conversation, thanks to all contributing...
    GSonpoint said:
    there's no amount of resources that are enough when they keep releasing new versions of players that make your capped players obsolete, which is why the strategy of staying gold is the smartest strategy.  everyone gets capped quickly, and resources build for the new, stronger max players.
    Yup, and this is why a lot of people "sandbagged" in Gold up until December/January. Players are being recycled and becoming obsolete at a rate you would not be able to keep up with if you were Platinum or Diamond. That would be mostly fixed if they went back to where new players start at your tier and not Bronze 1.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Honestly there is no right or wrong way to play this game.  Thats part of what makes it so great.   We all start in the same spot, value different things and end up in completely different spots.   Some people enjoy the challenge of running thru the game, others prefer to wait until they are ready.  
  • MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
    The fact of the matter may be you will never have enough resources. It was painful to watch my gold club-mates post their WOH players/rewards every Monday & Wednesday. Or when they wouldn't spend as much on weekend boxes with the thought " I can just wait til WOH on Monday and get them" (you know thats 100% true by the way) However, I played the first 3 months like I played Tap16 and 17 and sealed my fate. I just kept grinding...

- I now cycle WOH multiple times (not just yesterday)
    - I cycle Diamond every 7-8 days (7500 gold and 650 Evo) Gold teams have no EVO, I have thousands
    - I destroy teams in tourneys and bonus games
    - I get double the points
    But a good club has lots of balance and we all spent lots of time and $$$ on our teams..to each it's own

. By the way Bigsticklegends has a spot available and compete with the Elite. Pm me.

GSonpoint said:
    and yes, much better strategies.  I just think that rewards should be based on team level, or whats the point.  many new guys come in not knowing, like i did, and think it will be better in higher ranks, and its not.  I tell all the new guys to do exactly what you are doing @Houmy
    @GSonpoint I agree 100% that the rewards should be based on your team tier and not the club so maybe GLU will implement something like that. As far as new players, like yourself I am assuming, leveling up tiers too soon I am afraid that is common as honestly no one would think about it and you are not to blame for that.

I myself got lucky when I was a rookie to the game in 17 and got some good pointers from the club I joined so I didn't level too fast. Even if I had done that in 17 though it would still have been OK as back then all new players that you picked up started at your tier unlike bronze in 18.

If you are playing 19 I would suggest you use all the information you have learned in 18 to your advantage and check the forums regularly for any help or advice. If we start at bronze again, and the game is like 18 when it started, the first thing I would suggest you do is spend half your resources on your sluggers and make sure to multicycle Slugfest to get XP & EVO.

• redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    Like someone else in the thread said, I didn’t go diamond until mid January and I still kinda feel like I went early even with over a million prime exp and a few hundred thousand in both blue and legend exp but because I waited a little while I had a team outside of a few positions once I got them leveled up still enjoy WoH cycling and have actually raised my win rate from around 86% to the current 93% now.  Once I was able to lap D6 repeatedly those skill levels that were at 11-12% for my top guys became 16% and with all of the premium blue players I’m still able to upgrade my team in spots (Kershaw at D2, Kemp at D4, Baez at P1).  I’m now sitting at 185k and outside of the super teams I almost never lose in bonus games and tourneys anymore.  The last hurdle is winning season mode again and I’ve made the semis last season I want to win one before ‘19.  
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Honestly, the whole 'royalty' comment is a bit off-putting. At best, it appears to be a generalization based on a few bad apples. At worse, it comes across as major sour grapes. In any event, if you're having fun, you did it right. If you're not having fun, it's a good idea to re-evaluate. 
    Adding to @LonzoBallin's comments, the biggest motivator for me has always been the fun factor. I'm currently in a relatively good situation to make the jump to diamond and immediately cycle WoH several times over. However, I'd be giving up on my ATGs(some may know that I kind of like them) and leaving them behind. I'd also be giving up my CvC team, which I put a considerable amount of thought towards. However, diamond is well, diamond: the top of the mountain! Anyway, it's not about sandbagging; it's about having fun. I will continue to make decisions based on that sole criteria. I mean, after all, isn't that the point of playing games? 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    @DFBB yeahup.... I left Mantle and Mays in the dust. :neutral:

They're still on my inactive roster though, just so I can see their shiny logos from time to time and reminisce on the good ole days.
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    Sounds like you're regretting going past gold. No need to take it out on others.
  • manbearpuigmanbearpuig Registered Users, Member 55 Posts
    I deeply regret going to diamond, gold definitely seems to be where it’s at, and good for the people that were smart enough to stay at that level.  On one hand, it’s a bit disappointing and seems kind of backwards that progressing further in the game is actually just a detriment to you. On the other hand, I understand the strategy aspect of choosing when and if to level up.  It’ll be interesting to see if they reduce the cost of leveling up players moving forward to make the diamond tiers a more realistic option, but I know I’ll definitely be spending some time capped at gold next year 
  • caddie2323caddie2323 Registered Users, Member 187 Posts
    I’m diamond and see both sides to the debate, but I’m diamond for the gold.  I have actually enjoyed a great deal building a team that has the potential to win at walkoff.  Has taken a ton of playing and cycling diamond goat.  Have beat walkoff 4 of the last 6.  It’s super tough and I’ve got to cautiously decide how to use my resources.  It’s a common debate amongst our club as to whose doing what next season.  I can’t pay like others and the gold and point multiplier is only true benifit of going to gold in my opinion.  But I think a balancing of the reward system considering the tier of the player would be cool.  Not griping but it’s tough as heck leveling players up in diamond. 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Easy solution....After a team hits a certain team strength then they automatically are shifted to the next division.   You’ve capped the Gold tier allowed strength and you’re automatically moved to platinum.   It’ll piss people off (including me) since I chose to stay gold and am perfectly fine with riding it out while saving cash.  But I wouldn’t mind if there was a push or a huge difficulty change where they damn near made you keep moving forward (I know I was pushed out of silver bc of a difficulty change).  I have a 154K team strength in gold and go back and forth every single day with myself about going platinum.  If they said sorry, we’re moving you up I’m sure I’d say this is bullshit!  Then 5 minutes later I would say I’ll show them and start hustling to upgrade my guys again 😂 if you’re not a bipolar Glu player, you’re not that into the game.   I’m sure most would agree with me.  
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    I just don't understand why people feel the need to tell others how they should or shouldn't play the game, or how they should or shouldn't spend.  I have a 172K strength Diamond team on a budget of $21 spent this year.  (And yes, I do cycle, I cycled 10 times Monday).  I don't begrudge the people who have spent less and have stronger teams (I'm sure they exist), and I certainly don't laugh at teams that have spent more with lesser teams (I know they exist), because they've probably invested less of their time than me. 

At the end of the day, it's a game and it's all about having fun.  If you have the most fun maxing out all your new players and Silver is the best spot for that for you, you're doing it right.  If you have the most fun cycling WOH repeatedly and Gold is the best spot for you, you're doing it right.  If you don't care much about WOH and just like cranking out games and getting that 7,500 reward at Diamond, you're doing it right.  If you feel the game is too unbalanced for the resources/rewards at Diamond, that's a legitimate argument, but it's one for the developers.  You shouldn't just expect people not to play the game in the way that is the most fun for them.

If you're not having fun, then decide what you want to do differently in '19 to make it fun again, but why begrudge those having fun on their terms?
  • Babybombers9Babybombers9 Registered Users, Member 212 Posts
    edited February 2019
    I think one of the things that makes this game great is that there are several points when you think you know how best to play it, only to figure out holy crap that’s not it. How to cycle WOH, how to get good at CVC, what to spend your resources on. And of course, when to make the jump to gold, platinum, and diamond. It seems right away it makes sense to get to the highest level as quickly as possible right? No, it’s not that kind of game.

My friend went to platinum real quick and got his ass kicked. So he quit. I would say, just start a new team instead. I went to gold kinda quick but held in there and it was worth it. 

Since we are all clearly so gansta on these here boards I would say:

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.