Which Catcher would you keep?

total13total13 Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
If you could have only one of these catchers at Gold Level 10, who would you choose? Catcher was the last position I could fill with anyone of good quality and now I have an overabundance. Curious to hear opinions, pros and cons. 

Comments

• JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Scioscia.  
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    But if you’re ever going to go platinum you’d have to keep Ramos to save resources.  
  • Biceson44Biceson44 Registered Users, Member 79 Posts
    Dump yadi and bench. Build Scioscia. If you have the LXP if pxp build yadi. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    It depends on your needs. Yadi is a nice for WoH at 5.7-5.8. Scioscia is the best catcher for cvc and crushes non woh modes. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Boston0714Boston0714 Registered Users, Member 168 Posts
    I have Ramos, and Winter Cervelli, they are both great. I'd keep one of each XP
  • Cripple22Cripple22 Registered Users, Member 67 Posts
    Always the lefty hitter since 70% of pitchers throw righty, if you're leveling up the cheapest.
  • total13total13 Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    Thanks, guys. I dumped Bench so far since no one recommended that I keep him. In WOH, I currently have Ramos against the second-toughest lefty and he makes it thru most of the time (16% LHP skill boost). My second-toughest righty option is double-skill (not really) Prime Betts (16% RHP skill boost). In CvC, I usually put up around 1m points per round (not per entry) without bonus players. I'd say WOH is probably my biggest focus right now, so would Molina be that much of an upgrade on Ramos? 
    As for jumping to Platinum, I don't see it in my future since Ramos is one of only two Blue XP guys in my entire starting lineup. I can't save up nearly enough resources that it would take and still be competitive. I am constantly upgrading my current roster whenever I can coz I am never 100% satisfied. I know: wrong game to be playing if I want 100% satisfaction. Lol
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    To me,  it's more about resources.  What resources are you lacking,  and where are you sitting good?  For me,  I have over 5000 EVO and almost 1M PXP, so upgrading Yadi would be no issue to me.  I don't have much LXP, and I am always looking for Blue XP.  

If you're good on EVO and PXP, go ahead and upgrade Yadi.  If you have other needed upgrades with those resources, you are probably fine with Ramos.  

Another factor is that you are far more invested in pennants for Ramos than Yadi.  I don't know where Ramos is at for skill upgrades, but Yadi is also only worth it if you  can upgrade his skills to 16 or so.  

Yadi over Ramos is a marginal upgrade, but at this point in the game,  most upgrades are marginal.  If you can afford it the resources,  go for it.  Otherwise, Ramos is solid.  
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Depends on your needs and resources.  At gold, you should be able to level mostly anyone.  I dont see a huge use for Bench so I would throw him out.   Scioscia will probably be your best for most modes.  Ramos is also great and you can platoon him in cvc/clash events against lefties.   Yadi is the best one for WOH most likely.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    This is what I miss about not being diamond lol...

Currently I have LL Verlander, LL JD Martinez, WOH Shawn Green and Fan Reward Dusty Baker.

All 4 are currently collecting dust.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:

Currently I have LL Verlander, LL JD Martinez, WOH Shawn Green and Fan Reward Dusty Baker.

Lol preach...Had every intention of making Dusty my project and then pulled Green from CVC on sunday.  with the discount i figured i needed to somewhat take advantage but only had the resources to take him to D3.  #diamondlife
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    In spite of the un-sexy name, I suppose Dusty Baker is now the best lefty-killer for WOH if you don't have an ATG.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    total13 said:
    Thanks, guys. I dumped Bench so far since no one recommended that I keep him. In WOH, I currently have Ramos against the second-toughest lefty and he makes it thru most of the time (16% LHP skill boost). My second-toughest righty option is double-skill (not really) Prime Betts (16% RHP skill boost). In CvC, I usually put up around 1m points per round (not per entry) without bonus players. I'd say WOH is probably my biggest focus right now, so would Molina be that much of an upgrade on Ramos? 
    Yes;  I have both and yadi with the skill boosts is head and shoulders above Ramos in woh, apples to apples. 
    edited February 2019
    JEDDDOGGY said:

LOL....I get what you’re saying but excuse me for not sympathizing.   It’s not far away from complaining about being the only man at the Playboy mansion.  ;)
  • ThunderstormerThunderstormer Registered Users, Member 215 Posts
    I have Scoscia and he’s money in CVC, everyday play and my WOH righty 5.10 killer. Have him at gold 10 with combined skills about 22% boost. Also, I’m convinced “full" skill boosts or even 80 gold boost is mostly psychological and doesn’t give you more hittable pitches, it’s all algorithms. My two cents... maybe whoever uses your favorite bat or stance lol
    edited March 2019
    I have Scoscia and he’s money in CVC, everyday play and my WOH righty 5.10 killer. Have him at gold 10 with combined skills about 22% boost. Also, I’m convinced “full" skill boosts or even 80 gold boost is mostly psychological and doesn’t give you more hittable pitches, it’s all algorithms. My two cents... maybe whoever uses your favorite bat or stance lol
    Interesting perspective.....what is your success rate at 5.10, team strength & level as well as average total cycles if you don’t mind?  Knowing that would add to the conversation.  
  • ThunderstormerThunderstormer Registered Users, Member 215 Posts
    No prob @bigvivec... First to clarify a bit. Boosting your hitting/power as high as possible is definitely beneficial. Might power a sinker out of the infield instead of a dribble out, or clear the fence instead of a warning track out. Otherwise if your swing timing is bad you'll never get a hit with a one star or a  2skill  boosted ATG no matter the pitch. So to me special skills and boosts generally give an edge, but WOH pitch sequences simply vary from 9 untouchable pitches to juicy down the middle sequences. You might also notice if you get a lucky hit off a pitchers specialty/trick pitch it triggers a hittable sequence. Conversely, you swing early and dribble one into an out or double play, you trigger a bad sequence path and you’re doomed. Bottom line is great players leveled to the max are ideal and give best chance to succeed, but no player is magically influencing better pitch sequences. They just give you an edge in the algorithmic margins.
    BTW my team:  140k ish gold level and depending on time, patience, energy I cycle several times weekly (last couple months since going gold). Before that a few random silver wins with best lefty being cool shades blow out skill Eddie Rosario. Only use free video replays, ideally waiting to use for 10th batter. Hard to put % on 5.10, though I’d guess 30%. Biggest hurdles seem to be debilitating random Sy Young sequences, app crashing loading batter or video crashes that void progress taking the wind out of your cycling sails. Glad to share because only obsessive tappers would understand my rambling  lol. 
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    I just leveled scoscia mainly for all modes but woh, and he is awesome.
    edited March 2019
    I don’t have him.....wish I did though (and one of each other player)..... blowout skill for a closer in WOH is not ideal....skills that stack for every AB are the best but I am glad he’s working out.  I would love him in the lineup for all other modes.  If you get the chance, build a player with stacking skills and as good as Socc is at 5.10, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised so long as the skills and max strength level are pretty much apples to apples.  🍎 

@thunderstormer.....in WOH when you get to 5.10, close the app and restart.  That will ensure your vids are primed for your restart if needed and won’t hang.  I restart after 4.10. now as well so I don’t get a crash in the rising action leading up to 5.10.....has worked out so far.  Thank you for sharing and try to get your hands on a 525-535max rhb with stacking skills juiced to at least 16/20.   Cheers!
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:

On my bench is a 535 Machado, 520 Harper, and sent away Rizzuto and 525 Machado so I could level Jed’s skills.  Diamond sucks for that though overall it’s been good to me.
    525 machado is awesome.....his numbers in everything except WOH are exceptional. 
  • Higgy27Higgy27 Registered Users, Member 6 Posts
    I’d keep ramos in the hopes you can bring him over shortly!
    In case anyone's curious, I have kept all of them (except Bench, who I traded in rather quickly). I Gold-Maxed Molina immediately and gave his skills a little boost heading into WOH on Monday. He performed well in the middle of the pack - noticeably better than Ramos though, especially at Level 5. I am still using Ramos for CvC though coz he's been a beast w/the LHP and Blowout Skill.

So, one byproduct of winning WOH Monday was landing Trea Turner, who was a tremendous improvement to my SS position - despite having to bench a switch-hitter for yet another right-handed bat. Thankfully, I held onto to Scioscia coz I now desparately need a strong left-handed bat for my lineup in most modes and he'll be perfect. I should have him Gold-Maxed with significant skill boosts by the weekend.

Thanks, guys, for your input and opinions! There's a very good chance I would be kicking myself right now for trading away an asset I desparately needed (or could need for TSB 19) if I hadn't reached out.