Keeper details: let's discuss!

Comments

• MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    Accelman said:
    Here's my current list of possible keepers, with positives/negatives from my perspective:

HITTERS:
    Boggs (3B) 530max -- RHP/RHP
    Positives: Good ceiling, double pitcher skills, fills a baseman slot, leftie
    Negatives: Not much, unless I pull someone w/ better ceiling or hit rating
    Baez (2B) 510max -- LHP/LHP
    Positives: Double pitcher skills, fills a basemen slot
    Negatives: Low ceiling, average hit rating
    Kemp (OF) 515max -- WOH/LHP
    Positives: Good skills for WOH, good hit rating
    Negatives: Low ceiling, limited usefulness in other events, outfielder
    Arenado (3B) 525max -- 4+/4+
    Positives: Good ceiling, good hit rating, skills useful across many events, fills a basemen slot
    Negatives: Skills come and go across events, limited usefulness in WOH
    Trout (OF) 525max -- CVC/RISP
    Positives: Good ceiling, good hit rating, skills useful in CVC games
    Negatives: Limited usefulness in other events, outfielder
    Judge (OF) 530max -- 4+/RHP
    Positives: Good ceiling, excellent hit rating, skills useful for broad range of events
    Negatives: Jack of all trades, master of none; outfielder
    Posada (C) 535max -- CVC/LHP
    Positives: Excellent ceiling, good hit rating, useful for CVC games, bats L/R, catcher
    Negatives: Limited usefulness in other events
    Molitor (DH) 540max -- LHP/LHP
    Positives: Excellent ceiling, excellent hit rating, double pitcher skills
    Negatives: DH only

PITCHERS:
    Nola (R) 510max -- RHB/Late Innings
    Positives: Good ceiling; decent double skills
    Negatives: Lower rating than other pitchers
    Erskine (R) 520 max -- LHB/Prime
    Positives: Good ceiling: double skills
    Negatives: Prime skill has limited usefulness
    Seaver (R) 530 max -- RHB/RISP
    Positives: Excellent ceiling; very useful double skills
    Negatives: Using pennants on a Mets player?

Right now I'm thinking I'll probably keep Boggs, Molitor and Seaver. Although as I look it over I'm a bit tempted by Judge's great hit rating and overall usefulness and Posada's long list of positive traits. Also in stats, Arenado always seems to rise to the top on batting averages, hits, etc.

I read your list before reading your conclusion and thought Boggs, Molitor and Seaver were no-brainers.  Which was also your first instinct, it appears.  I'd go with that. 
  • woohoo77woohoo77 Registered Users, Member 300 Posts
    I'm contemplating Rizzo as my lefty.  I don't own holiday Ted, Green, etc... Better hit and power numbers than Jed.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    The more time I've had time to think about it I have realized that Jed is not 5.9 & 5.10 material so It's definitely going to be Hank (Have Mays as well but gotta have Hank) and unless I get a better lefty the 2nd choice will be Holiday Ted.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I’m gonna go Mantle, Harper, and Gagne as my pitcher as of right now.  
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Don't worry @Houmy. You have a couple of weeks to change your mind a few more times. 😉
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    With skills being so expensive in 19, has anyone considered bringing over players with higher overall/hit/power over skill guys for woh? Wonder if they will be more beneficial to build a team. Not sure how hard resources are to come by so far in 19.
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    Houmy said:
    The more time I've had time to think about it I have realized that Jed is not 5.9 & 5.10 material so It's definitely going to be Hank (Have Mays as well but gotta have Hank) and unless I get a better lefty the 2nd choice will be Holiday Ted.
    @Houmy
    Jed may not be 5-10 material for you right now but I bet he will be huge for 5-10 the first couple months of '19 when player skills are almost nonexistent outside of keepers.
    @Wicked0Wildcats true but I don't plan to level up any of the keepers anytime soon due the the extra amount of resources they need and being at lower max in the beginning. If I level them too fast then I won't have enough for the rest of the squad. 

I finished with 16 cycles at around a 50% win rate at 5.10. I didn't get a single 10% player. :(
  • PINKYSTARFISHPINKYSTARFISH Registered Users, Member 99 Posts
    With at least 2 weeks left  there's no point in making decisions because lots of 525-550 players will be offered 
    I agree to wait, but being offered apex players and pulling other than the 490 jackoff from the prize box are totally different things .  😁 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    After experimenting with Jed last night on 5-9 and 5-10 I feel pretty good about keeping him. He went 7-10 with skills at 15/15 including 2-3 against whitey. I’m hoping that with him and Shawn green I can cycle much earlier in 19 than in 18
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited March 2019
    I finished with 11 cycles using 520 max prime Goldschmidt with skills at 17/17. My win rate had to have been fairly low, much lower than normal at least, since I had a few where I lost several times in a row. I'm thinking somewhere around 40 percent.
    2003cobra said:
    After experimenting with Jed last night on 5-9 and 5-10 I feel pretty good about keeping him. He went 7-10 with skills at 15/15 including 2-3 against whitey. I’m hoping that with him and Shawn green I can cycle much earlier in 19 than in 18
    Couple of things to consider for the keepers:

1 - Right now they are at their true max so obviously they perform superbly. We don't know how long it will take them to get there in 19. If they are not lower than other players in 19 it will be fine but if Jed (to use as an example) is a 360-390ish and we already have 415 players then I am sure the WOH difficulty will be adjusted based on the 415's

2 - It will be very hard, and expensive, getting their skills to the level where they will perform well once/if they kick in (we have seen them working in WOH so it shouldn't be an issue for that). If the 5X cost to upgrade mentioned before is true then you would need 400K each PXP & LXP to get both his skills to 15 and that's not to mention the EVO, Cash & BXP (assuming skill costs are not changed in 19). I know most of us have more XP than we need at the moment but that's just because the game is almost finished and we multicycle WOH but before that we all had to be picky with whom to use the XP on

3 - By the time they reach their true max we may have other players that would outperform them and would be cheaper to upgrade. Especially if the previous posting (not confirmed) about duplicate picks evolving to your tier holds true

Just things to consider but as we can take 3 players anyway of course we should take the ones that would help the most or have special meaning to us.

• MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts

Madswagoo said:

Wasn't that Posada in yesterdays box?

• MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
    I believe he was in the weekend box, but not yesterdays.

• bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Yeah that’s what he meant.....leveled that donkey fast!  BTW, who qualifies for their own player....I’ve seen tapqueen and a couple others.   
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    So, when 19 goes out of beta and is available in the US, does everyone go back to 0 or do the people in canada get to keep their huge head start?
    @ReadingFightingPhils It's my understanding that they keep their progress.
    edited March 2019
    Canadians are just 0.75 American so we can spot them a little bit.  ;)

Seriously though, pairtty is quickly gained in all areas except for slugfest.....have to get in straightaway or get left behind.  That is a bxp and blue cash suck too, esp in the early days......gonna be hard to allocate much for the keepers.   
    bigvivec said:
    Yeah that’s what he meant.....leveled that donkey fast!  BTW, who qualifies for their own player....I’ve seen tapqueen and a couple others.   
    Some of the VIP gauntlet prizes for top spots were creating your own ATG that would always have the same max as the ATG and you could use your own images and name. Tap queen is one of the VIP members that went to the GLU VIP summit so I am not sure if that was a summit gift or Gauntlet prize.

edited March 2019
    Houmy said:
    bigvivec said:
    Some of the VIP gauntlet prizes for top spots were creating your own ATG that would always have the same max as the ATG and you could use your own images and name. Tap queen is one of the VIP members that went to the GLU VIP summit so I am not sure if that was a summit gift or Gauntlet prize.
    I’m jealous!!!  Though it is tempered by realizing having me looking back up at me would be part and parcel to the prize.  
    @Houmy I believe all the VIPs that attended the Summit received their own ATG. Yes, that could've/should've been you. Best part? You wouldn't be contemplating Jed...:)
    DFBB said:
    @Houmy I believe all the VIPs that attended the Summit received their own ATG. Yes, that could've/should've been you. Best part? You wouldn't be contemplating Jed...:)
    Well if it was me buddy I would have made mine a switch hitting catcher but the guy probably plays 1B himself so.

bigvivec said:
    Houmy said:
    bigvivec said:
    I’m jealous!!!  Though it is tempered by realizing having me looking back up at me would be part and parcel to the prize.  
    Once you think about the fact that it probably cost him $1K+ for one event to get there your jealousy should subside a bit. You pretty much have to get all the bonus players, max them and then keep gold refilling prime event energy bars to get those kind of scores in one day.

Now if each $1K+ spent would get you your own custom ATG then I should have my entire featured player profiles filled with my own ugly mug. Yes I went overboard (stupid is a better word) in 18 hence my dissatisfaction with #skillsgate as almost half that money was spent on getting players useless to WOH and pitchers leveled up.

• dingers4lifedingers4life Registered Users, Member 20 Posts
    has anyone been playing 2019 WOH and know the type of difficulty we could be facing? That information could really benefit the choice between a full send for WOH dominate players, or bringing someone like Harper with a cvc skill as well as right hand pitching
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    19 is in beta mode and they are fixing things regularly. Yesterday they needed to dial back the difficulty in woh and announced it in news. So there’s really no useful information to share about it. On the surface it looks pretty much the same except for new items like all star rewards/perks which was shared in another thread.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    The enormously expensive cost of leveling keepers is making me theorize that keepers may be nothing more than a diversionary tactic to keep you from pouring resources into where you should be putting them into the first few months -- Sluggers.

I'm a little wary.  I won't really fully see the big picture until I get to start playing 2019, but I'm not totally sure that keepers are worth investing in at all just yet.
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    related to your points regarding keepers I have some additional comments (some with a different approach):

- I don't see how the keepers would be around 330-360 while new '19 players are around 415. 
    If going by '18 philosophy, when we start '19 with a 320 player he will be way better than any of the initial months normal 5* which are always like 260-290. I would assume the keepers factor will move up as soon as higher max players appear, kind of making them like our current ATGs

- do we have any solid information regarding the use of prime/legend xp? I mean the fact that the keepers will all use blue xp could (I only say COULD) mean GLU is removing the different xps types and just making primes and legends way more expensive (in blue xp terms) to level up than regular players.

- if GLU keeps using the same numbering patterns, at which point do you think we could see players higher than our top keepers? January-March? Unless they plan to have some 600 MAX players in the '19 season, I don't see a point where keepers could become irrelevant 
    edited March 2019
    @tocopan18 As is, costs(esp for skills) will prevent keepers from being ideal. Right now, all my top players(for WoH) are capped at 20/20 skills. At the current rate of 5x, it's simply not realistic to do that with keepers. However, as I've been reminded, it's still beta and those costs can certainly change. I think we'll have to see what things look like when '19 is officially dropped before passing judgement. 

Edit: I mean, ideal as far as long term players. I think they are essential in dominating bronze/silver and racking up resources/players.