Keeper details: let's discuss!

Comments

• PINKYSTARFISHPINKYSTARFISH Registered Users, Member 99 Posts
    I picked up both Ford and Rollie today . One of them is going to 19 . If only I knew which way to go .  😁    I'm leaning Ford though. 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I’m leaning toward a reliever just bc it took me so long to obtain one like Gagne or Rollie.  At least a strong RP will be able to help out in every game from the start.   I’m assuming it will be a lot easier to build up starters again over solid relievers.  
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I’m not going to invest anything in a pitcher keeper. The cost to me isn’t worth it on a pitcher. 
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited March 2019
    benny100 said:
    For pitchers I'm going to go by stuff rating and right now Dock has the edge for me. 
    Let me ask you this though...would you keep him over Verlander? @benny100

• benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    benny100 said:
    For pitchers I'm going to go by stuff rating and right now Dock has the edge for me. 

I would, but it has got me thinking about pennants also - Dock is the only Pirate I have and only reason I pumped my pennants up to 60 for Pirates. Astros may be a better move if it is close on who transfers.
    benny100 said:
    Maybe the beginning of keeper sales! Only 8 hrs left and he has not been there that long......a bargain with $770 discount 😀
    Man its really too bad on his skills or else he would have been such a solid choice

I pulled him over the weekend and will keep him. Was set on using My Legend as C but w/decent hit & power @535 max I can't really pass him up. Using My Legend for 2B this time around as I only ever pulled Cano at best in 18.

Any other players I have with 510+ max wouldn't stack more often than Posada anyway and those that would stack similarly are only 500 and 505 max at positions I have pulled often (assuming 19 luck is similar, of course).
    benny100 said:
    benny100 said:

I would, but it has got me thinking about pennants also - Dock is the only Pirate I have and only reason I pumped my pennants up to 60 for Pirates. Astros may be a better move if it is close on who transfers.
    Damn! I thought I had pitcher locked down. With the 2x gold event going on I'm hoping there's players in Fan Reward event that might need consideration as a bat. Now I will torture myself over the weekend trying to figure out which pitcher to take yet again...
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    edited March 2019
    benny100 said:
    benny100 said:

Damn! I thought I had pitcher locked down. With the 2x gold event going on I'm hoping there's players in Fan Reward event that might need consideration as a bat. Now I will torture myself over the weekend trying to figure out which pitcher to take yet again...
    It’s not over until is over 
     B) 
    Yep - I'm hoping 20k or 30k fan reward this weekend is a potential keeper!!
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I'm hoping for a 550 version of someone like Baker. Hah
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    I’m not going to invest anything in a pitcher keeper. The cost to me isn’t worth it on a pitcher. 
    True in the beginning but later in the season though once BXP is abundant then you could easily level them up. That is assuming of course that we will still have different kinds of XP in 19 once legends & primes are released and you won't level their skills as skills would be useless for pitchers anyway (#skillsgate). We know for sure that the 19 ATG will have their own XP again as mentioned by GLU.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

DFBB said:
    I'm hoping for a 550 version of someone like Baker. Hah
    Maybe a new Frank Robinson as an homage...?
    Houmy said:
    @benny100 GLU did confirm that the custom legend would evolve with you but didn't give out any details about it.
    I don’t even remember what position my custom legend is now since it became so expensive and obsolete.   I’m curious if we would have to reset it on 18 and then it transfers over as well?   Or do we get to recreate our position and skills again in 19?  I’m definitely going to do a catcher or shortstop.  
    I don't think your custom legend is part of the keepers so you would recreate it again. I'd definitely go with a switch hitting catcher unless I take 535 Posada over instead of Holiday Ted.

@dustyhunks If we're going to hope, we gotta be greedy. 550 Bernie with double late innings! Hahaha
    DFBB said:
    @dustyhunks If we're going to hope, we gotta be greedy. 550 Bernie with double late innings! Hahaha

that would be a nice keeper (assuming low speed, of course)
    Houmy said:
    True in the beginning but later in the season though once BXP is abundant then you could easily level them up. That is assuming of course that we will still have different kinds of XP in 19 once legends & primes are released and you won't level their skills as skills would be useless for pitchers anyway (#skillsgate). We know for sure that the 19 ATG will have their own XP again as mentioned by GLU.
    Later in the season when XP is abundant, I’ll probably have some better pitchers with regards to cost to be honest. I never chased a pitcher this year, and therefore never really got one worth keeping either. My best would be signature Kimbrel at 485 max and 1 skill. I’ll probably take him and trade him in honestly 
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    edited March 2019
    Never mind.
  • DCoffin616DCoffin616 Registered Users, Member 25 Posts
    I have no direction in which i want to go with my keepers. Too many options. And like a lot of us who are loaded whoever we choose, you really can't go wrong. Which you think would make the choice easier actually makes it even harder 
    I'm leaning heavy towards an SR vs SP. Given how many 450+ SPs I have versus one good (two at a push) SRs after an entire season of playing, I think they will continue to be scarce and useful in the early days when you need it most.
    benny100 said:
    I'm leaning heavy towards an SR vs SP. Given how many 450+ SPs I have versus one good (two at a push) SRs after an entire season of playing, I think they will continue to be scarce and useful in the early days when you need it most.
    Totally agree with SR as a keeper
    Here is something I found on fb comparing a keeper to a current 5* in 19. If I am not wrong Mookie is the highest max right now?

Houmy said:
    Here is something I found on fb comparing a keeper to a current 5* in 19. If I am not wrong Mookie is the highest max right now?

Jensen this year started at 327. It was the highest I saw from a pick to start the year. I’m fact, I still have him. 

• bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    benny100 said:
    benny100 said:

Honestly....for a pitcher I don’t think pennants are crucial.  
    As anticipated, 550s will debut tomorrow. Good luck to everyone and here's hoping the fan reward will be a 550 WoH friendly bat! 😁
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    DFBB said:
    As anticipated, 550s will debut tomorrow. Good luck to everyone and here's hoping the fan reward will be a 550 WoH friendly bat! 😁

• ORBBIRDSORBBIRDS Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    edited March 2019
    Gonna keep Whitey Ford, Rizutto, and Molitor.....have to trash Verlander potential 520, Bagwell 510, Cano 490, Marco Gonzalez 515, Doolittle 510, and Adam Jones 490, and 3-4 more
    Ughh....many flipped high into platinum
    ORBBIRDS

• ORBBIRDSORBBIRDS Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    edited March 2019
    As per the above, keeping the three 540 ish guys, as I understand they reset anyway...so keep highest potential...so Adam Jones currently at 345, Verlander at 400 etc.... Doesn't matter, or I am mistaken
    ORBBIRDS
    You are correct
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    What are Ford’s skills? I believe one is LHB, but not sure the other. Regardless, here is my 2 cents...Gonzalez may only be a 515, however he has dbl Late Innings if I’m not mistaken. The max difference between Ford at say G10 vs Gonzalez at G10 would be maybe 15-20 points overall(even less at lower levels). Keep in mind that Gonzalez would get a dbl skill boost for eVeRy batter from the 7th on, while Ford wouldn’t. Ford already has a platoon advantage vs LH anyways. Even with the slight advantage in overall max for Ford, I wouldn’t necessarily say he is the hands down better choice when you consider all factors...
  • AccelmanAccelman Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    I've begun to shift my thinking on the keepers. It seems unlikely that I'll probably level up the skills too high, because of cost. Therefore, my focus is on the best hitters (which is useful throughout the game). I've calculated the hit/speed ratios on some of my players (the higher the better), which shifts the balance. Consider these players:

540 Davis (BO/BO) -- 1.66 ratio
    540 Jackson (RISP/RISP) -- 1.86 ratio
    530 Boggs (RHP/RHP) -- 1.58 ratio
    530 Judge (BO/RHP) -- 1.89 ratio

If I compare say 530 Boggs, with great skills but low hit ratio to 540 Jackson, who has decent skills and a high hit ratio, the difference is big. While the difference between max is less than 2%, the gap between hitting ratios is  15%! That makes up for a whole lot of skill leveling! This also makes a player like Judge an easy choice over a higher max like Davis.