How to select the best keepers when there are too many to choose from!! HELP!!

blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
Like many of you, I have a few teams in TSB18 and I'm planning on keeping a few teams next year as well. The problem is that I don't know who to choose!! I need some advice on who I should carry over!! I have 3 different teams with a bunch of options for each. Let me know what your strategy is! Here are my choices:

Options from team #1:
- OF Ted Williams / Max 525 / CvC and CvC
- 2B Johnny Pesky / Max 505 / RHP and CvC
- OF Khris Davis / Max 540 / Blowout and Blowout
- 1B Marvin Gonzalez / Max 510 / RHP and Prime
- 3B Matt Carpenter / Max 520 / Blowout and RISP
- SP Aaron Nola / Max 510 / RHB and Late Innings
- SP Aaron Nola / Max 510 / 2 Outs and 2 Outs
- SR Jordan Hicks / Max 515 / RHB and Prime

Options from team #2:
- 3B Mike Schmidt / Max 545 / LHP and WoH
- OF Ichiro Suzuki / Max 540 / WoH and WoH
- OF Mookie Betts / Max 525 / LHP and RISP
- SS Ernie Banks / Max 490 / Blowout and RISP
- OF Charlie Blackmon / Max 530 / RISP and CvC
- SP Noah Syndergaard / Max 480 / 2 Outs and Late Innings (my only good pitcher)

Options for team #3 (only have 3 players but just showing to compare vs. 2 other teams):
- 3B Wade Boggs / Max 530 / RHP and RHP
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt / Max 520 / Late Innings and LHP
- SR Rollie Fingers / Max 530 / 2 Outs and 2 Outs

What is the best combo for teams 1-2 and which of the 3 teams is my overall best?

Comments

• bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    LOL......what!?!?
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    You cant pull keepers from different teams into one 2019 team if that's what your asking..  One team selects 3 and that's it, not 1 from here, 1 from there
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
    You can’t pull keepers from multiple teams but you can pull any team that you have associated with your GameCentre account. Meaning, I have 3 teams in TSB18 and I’m trying to determine which set of 3 players is the strongest from the 3 teams to pull into TSB19

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    So what ur saying is only 1 team is allowed per GC account? If so, Glu is gonna lose a lot of revenue. I have multiple ‘18 teams that get funded...
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    I dont even have 3 email addresses....
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
    No- you can have multiple teams with different email address. Example: I have a team on my iPhone, work iPhone and iPad... now I’m trying to figure out which combo of 3 keepers I should select for each of my TSB19 teams. 

• whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    I strongly recommend your best switch hitter.  Skill upgrades are outrageously expensive, level 3 is 250k cash.  Impossible to upgrade 2 bats so pick the one that helps most and focus on it.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    I really think people, myself included, are making too big of a deal out of this keeper thing.  Just take your best pitcher and two high ranked position players with skills you personally find useful knowing they will probably will be in your inactives in a couple months anyway.  I am personally taking a 535 max Hoz with RHP and RHP, but I could for example take a 470 max Galvis with WOH and LHP instead and it really probably isn't going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of '19.

I would personally take Davis, Carpenter and first Nola from team 1 and Schmidt and Ichiro from team 2.  

I would probably sync your 3rd team.  I'm not in love with taking a reliever if you have any decent starters at all but if you have to take one Fingers is an elite one and Boggs/Goldie provide a nice combo of LHP and RHP skills.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Team 1:  Khris Davis, Matt Carpenter, Aaron Nola

Team 2:  Ichiro, Schmidt, Syndergaard
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    I really think people, myself included, are making too big of a deal out of this keeper thing.  Just take your best pitcher and two high ranked position players with skills you personally find useful knowing they will probably will be in your inactives in a couple months anyway.  I am personally taking a 535 max Hoz with RHP and RHP, but I could for example take a 470 max Galvis with WOH and LHP instead and it really probably isn't going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of '19.

I would personally take Davis, Carpenter and first Nola from team 1 and Schmidt and Ichiro from team 2.  

I would probably sync your 3rd team.  I'm not in love with taking a reliever if you have any decent starters at all but if you have to take one Fingers is an elite one and Boggs/Goldie provide a nice combo of LHP and RHP skills.

Not sure why you say that about keepers going to inactive after a couple of months. As of now (assuming they are 520+) even with the factor they are above whatever you can pull in 19. Eventually new pulls start showing with higher max, but supposedly the factor will increase too. Unless GLU is lying about the process, I only see keeper being irrelevant maybe towards December-January, unless GLU decides this year to climb the numbers faster and some 600+ appear in September (unlikely).
    As long as you have enough resources to level them and their skills up, keepers should stay very much relevant in 19
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    I believe a new “self help” thread should be started. It could also include life coaching for those that need help with what to wear and what to have for dinner. @DFBB-on Mondays and Wednesdays, could offer new trendy stuff that we could all speculate about...
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Keeper relevance should be good as long as they keep pace with the new releases...like the atgs were supposed to be. We already have feedback that keepers do not increase in strength as you move your team up tiers (bronze, silver, etc), so it seems like a process like the atgs in 18. But for me this is the point, there’s no reason why the strategy of constantly releasing ever improved versions of players will be changed and therefor we will have a ton of players that will be at least similar in strength to the keepers. The advantage of dbl skills will probably still give keepers the edge for a while but I don’t anticipate them being the top guns late into the season, more like somewhere around the half way point the field will get leveled.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    tocopan18 said:

Not sure why you say that about keepers going to inactive after a couple of months. As of now (assuming they are 520+) even with the factor they are above whatever you can pull in 19. Eventually new pulls start showing with higher max, but supposedly the factor will increase too. Unless GLU is lying about the process, I only see keeper being irrelevant maybe towards December-January, unless GLU decides this year to climb the numbers faster and some 600+ appear in September (unlikely).
    As long as you have enough resources to level them and their skills up, keepers should stay very much relevant in 19
    If you're going to stay Silver most of the year, sure.  

At Gold and above, I'm not sure investing 5X resources into guys will be a good idea as similar skilled players who cost 20% of the keepers continue to be released.
  • Kak88Kak88 Registered Users 16 Posts
    These are my top 3 hitters. Need to pick 2 for my keepers. What are everyone's thoughts?
    Legend Molitor (DH) Max 540 LHP/LHP
    Prime Harper (OF) Max 535 RHP/RHP
    Legend JT Realmuto (C) Max 550 WOH/RHP
  • midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    Kak88 said:
    These are my top 3 hitters. Need to pick 2 for my keepers. What are everyone's thoughts?
    JT (position value) and Molitor because you already have a player to go against RHP in WOH.
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    Kak88 said:
    I’m in a very similar position with Hosmer instead of Harper. I’m strongly leaning JT and Molitor.
  • duckk123duckk123 Registered Users, Member 296 Posts
    Don't forget that Molitor is a DH
    tocopan18 said:

If you're going to stay Silver most of the year, sure.  

At Gold and above, I'm not sure investing 5X resources into guys will be a good idea as similar skilled players who cost 20% of the keepers continue to be released.
    Not necessarily. Even if you go gold or platinum, those 20% cheaper players you pull and level up become irrelevant after 3-4 weeks because better players get released every week with higher and higher stats. So you keep throwing away resources every several weeks anyway, and sometimes in gold or platinum and above you don’t even level up new players because u know that those are wasted resources after several weeks. 
    At least with the keeper, even though expensive, his numbers keep on going up along with new players so whatever resources u use for them are a good investment almost to the end of the season. Like atgs this year. 
    I remember when the 500 yelich was performing as well or better than my Babe Ruth, but then came LL Trout, and then Teddy Williams, and yes, always the new top player was comparable in performance to the atg, but how many resources were people wasting to keep up on top of the game? All while my Babe was expensive at first but stayed valuable until today without any extra investment. 
    For me keepers are exactly the same, until i get proved wrong by glu and their incosistency during the ‘19 season.
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    duckk123 said:
    Don't forget that Molitor is a DH
    True, but some of us don't have a better option vs. LHP. I have LL Betts, but he's only 525 and has RISP as well as LHP. I also have Comeback Kemp (515, LHP/WOH) and Beast Bogaerts (515, LHP/WOH) but they aren't in the same league as Molitor (540, LHP/LHP), are they? 

Similarly, Realmuto has the drawback of being another righty, but he's a 550 Max catcher and has two WOH-relevant skills. But are Hosmer (535, LHP/LHP) and/or Green (535, WOH/WOH) superior choices simply because they're lefties? In my (admittedly limited) experience, if your batter has a high enough hit rating (compared to the pitcher, with the batting boosts added in), he'll get those fastballs in WOH eventually, regardless of being a lefty or righty.

But very few of us have clear-cut choices in the two batters we choose to keep; that's why there's so much advice being asked for and scratching of heads.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Kak88 said:
    JT (position value) and Molitor because you already have a player to go against RHP in WOH.

Harper and Molitor....100% eggs in the “best for WOH” basket, use them to farm new players and don’t worry about prime or bonus game “performance”....the players you farm will factor more into those results anyway.  Plus, Muto not being a lhb really isn’t suited to be a WOH elite closer IMO because for that you need the stacking skills x3....those being the two skills of notation and the third being the standard advantage for all batters who go against an opposing g dominant sided pitcher.
    bigvivec said:
    Kak88 said:

Harper and Molitor....100% eggs in the “best for WOH” basket, use them to farm new players and don’t worry about prime or bonus game “performance”....the players you farm will factor more into those results anyway.  Plus, Muto not being a lhb really isn’t suited to be a WOH elite closer IMO because for that you need the stacking skills x3....those being the two skills of notation and the third being the standard advantage for all batters who go against an opposing g dominant sided pitcher.
    Mostly agree with you but i seem to remember LL Trout (with double vsR skills) being very successful in 5.10 versus righties. I never had him but lots of people here swear by him.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    Kak88 said:

I agree. I think that too many people are getting caught up with positions of the players rather their 2 best options for WOH. I woukd take 2 DHs if those were my clear cut choices to beat WOH. You will fill your roster from cycling. 
    2003cobra said:
    bigvivec said:
    Kak88 said:

I agree. I think that too many people are getting caught up with positions of the players rather their 2 best options for WOH. I woukd take 2 DHs if those were my clear cut choices to beat WOH. You will fill your roster from cycling. 
    And who cares if they are DH. You could still use them both in woh anyways. Even if they are both in subs.
  • HTX2017WCHTX2017WC Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    Who should I take?

Mantle and Susuki, like i said in the other thread. At least that’s my opinion.  ;)
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    tocopan18 said:
    Mantle and Susuki, like i said in the other thread. At least that’s my opinion.  ;)
    Can’t go wrong with that.  I’m in the same club!