Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.
Options

The 500 Error Rundown and Account "Hacks"

[RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
Hey everyone, this is going to be long... you can skip to the end if you want.

I know the events of the past weekend caused a lot of ire from you are players. Understandably so. I don’t blame you. It happened at the most inopportune time. It was the middle of the weekend and Turf and all of us were not in the office.

So I wanted to give you a breakdown of what occurred, in order to dispel any untrue theories.
On Saturday, starting around 1pm PST we started having memory issues. Our IT team did respond to the alerts and fixed it as per usual. Unfortunately this caused another issue that was not detected. This in turn caused the alert system to not catch it, thus the new issue went unanswered. Basically it caused our data to not be updated to client data, thus causing a mismatch and a 500 error.

We did not catch this until Admin Sage checked the forums on Sunday and alerted everyone. When I say everyone, I mean everyone in the studio. Minutes after the email I received I checked and went onto the forums and Social Media to alert everyone that yes, we know there is an issue and we were on it.
After that our IT team worked on the issue which took awhile. After the incident, our IT and Dev teams worked on ways to both prevent this and to give us a proper alert should it happen again. It is a bit technical and I’m not comfortable discussing the nitty gritty when I don’t understand it myself. (Lots of numbers and weirdly named things) However that is the basic of it all.
I do apologize for the lack of information over the weekend, however, it wasn’t until Monday morning when we had a rundown of what happened. Our priority at the time was to make sure the issue was fixed and to discuss a means of compensation.

I’m going to be pretty honest here. I know you all would like for us to give out cars. We have done so before. Unfortunately, that is actually a really difficult thing to get done. Why? Because in order to do that we must work out a deal with the car manufacturer. Most of them probably wouldn’t want to see their cars just “given away” so we cannot just give out a car, it has to be worked out into each car’s license deal. So we decided on gems. We gave everyone 200 gems.

We know this doesn’t seem like enough to some players, but that is the amount we came up with. We are still looking at how everyone was affected on a Race level and hope to be able to do something about that as well, but it’s not as easy as giving out gems so until we get that locked down I can only offer a vague “We’re working on something.”

I would like to assure you all that we care. We don’t want to “screw over” our players. We want to keep you playing, we want to see you all happy. Yes, we are a business that wants to make money, so our decisions will be based a lot on that as well as player happiness. I promise to do better to voice the concerns of the players to our dev team. I’ve spent a lot of my time defending us here on the forums, it is time I really start also representing you to us. We will also try and do better at fixing and preventing these issues. We will also try and be better at offering some sort of compensation quicker and more often when these things happen.

Now, I want to hit upon the “Account Hacks” that have been reported. I’ve investigated a number of these and currently still am. I have banned accounts that look like they were the accounts receiving cars and cash. While it’s never a guarantee, you can contact customer service to see about getting anything back.

So what’s going on? Well, from what I can see, players are somehow getting Facebook account info and passwords. How they are doing that? I don’t know. We’re not Facebook. What I can and have been saying is that we’re not hacked. They haven’t accessed your account fraudulently through us. How can I be sure? Simple, there is no login for Racing Rivals. When you launch Rivals it looks for Racer info on your device, the information that gets deleted when you delete the app. We also check to see if you are logged into Game Center/ Google and/or Facebook or your device. If it is, we check to see if there is a Racer linked to your Apple Nickname, Google Nickname or Facebook account. At no time do we use info to log you in, you would already have to be logged into the Apple/Google or Facebook account when Rivals launches. We also would never have need to access your login info, those companies do not supply them. For Apple and Google, we don’t even have access to your actual account login names, only your nicknames.

So, we must stress the importance of your internet/account security. That is wholly in your hands. Here are some tips to helping you stay safe : http://tinyurl.com/kr98rp6

So to sum up (too late!)
  • The Error was not a portal to hacks – was a memory issue (not the lack of)
  • Sorry about not responding quick enough (We were on our weekend)
  • We gave everyone 200 gems
  • We’re looking at doing something regarding the races that took place during that time
  • We will try and do better
  • Keep your info secret and safe

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

~ Ryyst

More Rivals related n3ws coming soon.....
IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

Comments

• Options
    Mr. GershowitzMr. Gershowitz Registered Users 393 Posts
    Thanks for the gems.
  • Options
    mikec1161mikec1161 Registered Users 16 Posts
    Awesome thanks
  • Options
    king motoking moto Registered Users 112 Posts
    Sounds good.thanks
  • Options
    Sn1per1968Sn1per1968 Registered Users 21 Posts
    Thanks mate, it paid for a gem paint job and gem rims on one of my cars
  • Options
    Megatron27Megatron27 Registered Users 311 Posts
    Ryyst I appreciate you taking the time out to cover many issues. It is great to see someone from the team show interest in us. However, as far as the hacks are concerned, you all keep putting in on us. Going to throw a different spin on it. Your game has decided to use FB and Google to be a part of your game. FB and Google have no vest interest in whether or not you use them or not. They can't return cars, cash, or gems. So, these hackers have a perfect world. There is no one to hold them accountable. Yes you all can ban them but, they can just create other accounts and continue to hack. The time it takes you all to respind, they have already cleared multiple racers accounts. The biggest question is who protects us? FB and google don't care if we lose cars, cash, and gems. The only ones that can return them is you all. You all put the hacks on us. So we have no protections for us. The users are who keeps your game going. Many are leaving because we can't vest the time and money to lose it within minutes to a hacker. Hopefully you all can figure out a way to stop these hackers and glitches from happening. Its sad we have to worry every time we get on whether or not our accounts have been hacked.
  • Options
    MONSTER99999MONSTER99999 Registered Users 489 Posts
    There are people who lost cars because of account restart issue and I was one of them I don't think 200 gems are enough I will rather prefer to get my car back instead of 200 gems.
    Thanx
  • Options
    bradley_ong8bradley_ong8 Registered Users 548 Posts
    Ryysst that was a long amd entertaining explanation on what happened, and tbh, youre still the best admin to actually take the time and report us feedback in every aspect that we may ask or ponder. Thank you for your response which cleary show us that we still have hope that admins do respond. I think 200gems maybe abit too lil nfor a single racer but im not complaining because you have to distribute 200gems to the millions of accs worldwide which is imo a big giveaway. But i also do think that rr is getting more popular by the day and hence making the tendency of hackers or cheats to find various ways to get the easy way in and get cars. Im hoping for a response from u on the new restart acc update when we raise someone for pinks which ive seen many racers reporting. I myself has been a victim of it and its really not that fun being afraid to pinks cz a guy may just glitch ur car without even racing it. Hope u guys and prevent this n stop these glitches from happening as well as adding could the devs do something about the smoothness of the game on older devices? The iphone 5 and above clearly is running very smoothly, but on ipod 5 , ipad mini or so on arent really getting a bery fun experience playing rr rather than frustration on the lag-ness upon launching, checking garages and even frequent crashes every few minutes. I know this game specifies more on iphone 5, but before this ipod n ipad users were enjoying it too, and now its frustrating facing the crash n all. People now look for the smoothness of games , gadgets and etc n that would be a key point for more customers if u guys can fix this lag issue on older device. Im using ipod 5, and rr is crashing every min and i dont blame my ipod 5 because i can play fifa14 or GTA San andreas which is a much bigger game very very smoothly. Thank u if u are reading this and hoping for an action taken.
  • Options
    Ryyst I agree you have been the best on here. I appreciate all the help you have given me in the past. This is my last turf because that hacker took so much from me and so much out of me. I don't feel like I deserved the response I received. Hey it's business i understand but, when you treat your loyal customer base with a response like I received its devastating. I clearly showed proof of the hack and who was doing yet, im the one that gets the short end of the deal and he walks away with all the cars he hacked from my teammates, fellow racers, and me. Good luck on keeping this game together. You all have a difficult task ahead of you in stopping these hackers. By the way they are hacking accounts that are not even linked. Good luck.
  • Options
    Rhys while your answering all the posts answer this for me, how is it that many have showed you proof of a hacker and yet they are still racing during turfs. They are still not banned? Javier58 aka prince turbo 766 was in the dam turf lobby. Don't worry though I ran him out because I have my fellow racers backs. Let me do the security for you all. Just puzzled how this guy is still racing under the name he hacked me with. Maybe you all hired him. I don't know. Just dumb founded. Oh well fuuck us because it's all our faults.
  • Options
    mikey20valvemikey20valve Registered Users 1 Posts
    this post was drawn to my attention cause i wanna know how ppl are being hacked an megatron made some good points.. u ppl dont really care about us.. jus the money u make..
  • Options
    TrilzTrilz Registered Users 28 Posts
    I didn't get 200 gems, I only got 100.
  • Options
    speedometerspeedometer Registered Users 718 Posts
    RYYST hey bro thnx for the info an gems but i cant log into my account google log in wont load i tred save to device started right up same with fb unfortunately i have my account on goole play can u help my ign is Riddles215.
  • Options
    speedometerspeedometer Registered Users 718 Posts
    AN TO ALL YOU INCONSIDERATE NON COMPREHENDING IDOITS OUT THERE ALLOW ME TO SAY WAT RYYST PROBABLY REALLY WANTS TO SAY: 1ST THING HACKED. NOW IF SOMEONE STEALS YOUR INFO TO FB OR GP. ITS NOT RR FAULT ITS YOUR OR THE THIEFS FAULT. ALL YOU CAN DO IS PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT AS MUCH AS THE WEBSITE WILL LET YOU. AT THE END OF THE DAY NO ONE IS SAFE ITS THE INTERNET PPL. LISTEN IF SOMEONE HACKS YOUR F OR GP THEN THEY HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THE GAMES YOU PLAY NOT JUST RR SO WHO DO YOU BLAME WHICH GAME IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BEING HACKED. SOME OF YOU IDIOTS NEED TO CONTACT FB OR GP THEN IF YOU CAN SEND PROOF TO RR THAT YOU WERE HACKED THEN I AGREE THAT RR SHOULD REPLACE YOUR ACCOUNT. BUT IN A NUT SHELL UNLESS ITS A GAME GLITCH OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE THEN YOU CANT REALLY BLAME RR. PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT THATS ALL YOU CAN DO....