Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.

The Problem With Crates - An Addict's Confession

Racer KaiRacer Kai Registered Users 136 Posts
I've said here and to my RR friends, I love buying crates. But I'm afraid, that addiction is starting to wane. Now I know I'm not the biggest spender on crates, but I've purchased well over 200 at this point so below is my take on the good and the bad. Search for my previous posts on what secondary (non advertised) cars to find in each one.
THE GOOD:
Buying crates is like playing the slots. It's gambling and we all know that can be quite an addiction (I'm sure Glu saw a nice spike in revenue since their release). When you first start buying crates, you don't know what you're going to get and every prize is great. Your garage grows like mad, you get doubles, triples of cars, some good and some undesirable. Mustang GT's, Supra's, and Ford GT's are all good, fun cars to have. I found myself selling back to the game the numerous Datsun 510's, Silvia's, and VW GTI's.
The wheels and matte paint are HUGE hits with customizers in the game. I've sold countless rims and matte paint to friends (applying the rims/paint for them, then returning the cars). I've also kept many rims and a few matte paints for myself to customize cars I don't plan to pink race.
Bronze crates are the best value for the money. Not only do they cost the least, but have some of the best new cars like the Hellcats (great cars for 1663 tunes) and of course the Pandora One which is a turf killer at 1668 tune.They are also the only crate to offer the popular matte black paint. For every 10 silver or gold crates I've purchased, I've done 3x that with the bronze crates I'd guess.
Silver crates have always offered nicer rims than bronze crates. But the exclusive car is a middle of the road exotic. I haven't found a tune yet for the silver exclusive cars that does as well during turfs as the Pandora One from the bronze crate. I now own the Acura TLX as a result of trying to win the remaining blue prints for another McLaren P1, but I've yet to spend any RRC on it. The Onyx concept should still be available, but again, I have't seen anyone cleaning up during turfs with this car either. Silver crates just seem to say, "Stay away". If you need the turf car offered in the silver crate, go directly to the showroom, don't waste your money on 1,440 gems, hoping to win 3 by buying 10 silver crates. You'll be lucky to come away with 1 turf car.
The gold crates once contained the Zonda, the fastest car in the game. My personal best with it is a 6.690. I've won 4, sold 3. Hey, it takes over 2.5Mil to max out a Zonda and I have too many other cars that I'm still tuning to spend so much RRC on maxing 4 Zonda's. The rims in this crate belong in the bronze crate. There, I said it. Those Ace-3 blue glow rims are fugly, belong on a wrapped GTI, then throw both in the trash. I like the Ford GT however so I don't mind winning them here and there. When the ZR1 is available (like at the time of this post), the gold crates are almost as good for prizes as the bronze, just 3x more expensive. Oh wait, the Zonda has been replaced with a carbon fiber Huayra *YAWN*. No one races the Huayra any more, it's a forgotten car. I don't want it, no matter what texture or color is applied by the dev's.
THE BAD:
When you start purchasing crates in bunches of ten weekly, you will eventually win everything there is to win. The thrill now of buying crates starts to diminish. Rims become fewer and far in between, increasing the likelihood of winning another Datsun 510 or GTI. Rims are "free after..." a certain number of purchases. A strange behavior is that after buying some amount of bronze crates let's say, the game no longer shows me when I'll win more rims. That's not incentive to buy more crates guys! I don't see any rims offered in any of the crates at this point, although I have continued to win rims on occasion.
While on the topic of rims, I saw some incredible rims in the last turf which apparently are only offered in the crates. Dev’s take note, when you have something like that, you need to advertise it! You’re missing out on driving more people to the crates by not showing these new rims.
About blueprints: It takes more blueprints to win exclusive cars in the less expensive crates (5 blueprints in gold crates, 6 in silver, 7 in bronze) so you have to spend more gems (AKA money) on the lower crates to win the exclusive cars. If you want a Pandora now, expect to buy 25 or more crates to get it. There are just too many other prizes in the bronze crates at this time. I’ll come back to the number of prizes and variety in just a sec.
Wraps. They suck! Well, the crate wraps that is. Not only are they the most unattractive paint schemes, you can't remove them, change the color, or add any body kit parts to the cars with them! (Dev’s, take a note from the game Destiny where you can apply “shaders” to your armor to change its color) The only thing I've found wrapped cars good for are turf pink races, and to be "sleepers" in multiplayer lobbies (because of the appearance of no body kit modifications). There is virtually zero customization on them other than changing the rims. You will win a LOT of wrapped cars in crates, no question. If you sell them back, you get very little money. Just keep that in mind. I had to create a 2nd account just to store all of my stock duplicates to get them out of my sight.
Now back to the last point. There is no variety of secondary cars to be won in crates and the number of prizes is much greater than shown when on the shipyard screen. The weekly turf cars addition helped a little, but my win percentage is about 1 in 10 crates for turf cars. Again, unless there is something else you want from the crate, go buy the turf car during the sale or in the showroom. Bronze crates I believe have the most prizes, making winning any particular blue print car very unlikely. There was a time when the Bronze crate only had 2 or 3 blueprint cars, the Pandora being one of them so you could win Pandoras very quickly. Not anymore. I think there are now 5 or 6 blueprint cars in these crates.The blueprint cars in the bronze crates have shown to be very good turf cars, but as said above, you need more blueprints to complete the car. So, with more blueprints needed and more blueprint cars in the bronze crate, you’re spending a lot of gems on bronze. Be prepared to end up with a ton of Datsuns, GTI’s, and Silvia’s in the process.
Hope this helps someone out there. I think there are a few key points for the dev’s here too: advertise the prizes better (like the new rims) to drive more sales, switch out the 510’s, GTI’s, and Silvia’s already. Put some worthwhile cars in there like Dart Rallye’s, SRT4’s, Focus Titaniums, and bring back the Z28 as a crate car for heaven’s sake! For those of us who have purchased a lot of crates, I bet you too have slowed down considerably in the recent weeks, even with the turf cars being added. I’m just not drawn to the crates like I was in the past, but with a few fixes and refreshing of the prize inventory, I could go back very soon. Until then, I’ll just continue farming, bringing over a red Ford GT starter pack car each week and improving my turf tunes on existing cars.

Comments

• ka24det92ka24det92 Registered Users 86 Posts
    well put free bump to the top
  • Zombies8RZombies8R Registered Users 52 Posts
    We'll said, and love the idea of shades, I am tired on the Matte carbon color, red or blue matte would be cool though.