Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.

Boost Etiquette: What Are The Unwritten Rules?

Racer KaiRacer Kai Registered Users 136 Posts
If you are in a lobby where everyone is worth 45 points to you, do you turn on boosts?

Some players seem to have an unwritten rule that if it's a free race (no money involved), or the points are below some amount, it is unacceptable to race with boost turned on. You can't find this rule written anywhere, it seems to be what some players prefer, an etiquette of racing during turfs against others. The fact that it is not written, or enforced by the game itself creates two groups who will never agree on this topic. The first group thinks there is proper racing etiquette on when to use boosts and when not to. The other group, knowing this isn't a rule at all but merely a choice, decide on their own when to use boosts. Which side are you on and why?

I think this unwritten rule looks like the following, but it is not so easily described. Let's start with money first. If the race is free or $100, do not boost (poor etiquette if you do). If the race is $1,000, well, it's up to you. Any race $10k and above, you better turn on boosts. Now about points. There's no clear line on this part, where boosts should be turned off. Since racers will be worth different amounts to you based on their own win:loss ratio, you could end up in a lobby where some racers will be worth 30 points and others 50 points (a 56 lobby for example). I think it's safe to say that if everyone is worth 30's, then those racers who prescribe to this boost etiquette would prefer you turn off boosts. They might even get vocal about it in chat, "Free race and the f***er boosted, smh". I don't recall anyone complaining about using boosts every race when points are 90+, even free races.

Me, I'm undecided at this time although I do have my own rationalization of when I will or will not use boosts and it goes pretty much like this. I start with the amount of points racers are worth to me. Usually anything above 45 at the start of turf, I will have boosts turned on. I want to maximize points quickly. Now I usually tune my cars to the 56 and above lobbies when possible, so most of the time I'm boosting. Anything below 45 points, I will keep boosts off unless someone wants to race for $1000+. I won't ever use a boost for a $100 bet, unless you are also worth over 45 points to me.

So why is there even a group who cares when others use boost? That's what I really want to figure out. I think a few things contribute to it. The first is that boosts require gems, and gems sometimes cost real money, something many racers refuse to put into the game. Special offers for gems will only get you so far if you refuse to spend money so your boosts are a scare resource--you expect others to recognize this and not force you to boost every race to score points. The second contributor is based on turf prizes awarded. If your team always finishes above 100 (101 and up), you will only ever win 50 gems back (or less!). So why use up 80 gems to buy 50 boosts, only to win back 50 gems (or less)? You expect others to recognize this and again, not force you to boost every race to score points. Is there more to this than just the two above?

Let's face it, Glu is in business to make money so they will NEVER take a side here or change the game in any way that negatively affects average monthly revenue per user. This means they want you to buy gems (which is why boosts are linked to gems) so if this etiquette is to be observed by the masses, it must be done by the players only and everyone must clearly understand the rules: both with points and money races. Want my suggestion? Do it kindly. Be nice. Let others know how you prefer to race against them in your lobby. You'll quickly find others that agree and will race you like gentlemen or ladies. Do not take offense however to those who choose otherwise. They too have just as much right as you to race anyway they want to enjoy the game and try to win (winning is always the desired outcome!). But perhaps with more kindness in approach, clarity around the desired etiquette, and respect for everyone's individual choices, the group on the side of boost etiquette could grow larger.

Comments

• crazyjrcrazyjr Registered Users 547 Posts
    Me personally, i don't boost unless i'm answering a pinks. I never pink at all, i watch and see who i might can beat or not. I never answer to bets over 500.00 as free boosting, in my opinion, is bad taste, weak play and just a waste. Why waste a boost on something i get every day (sponsor tasks), boosting for money in my opinion is foolish. I'm also on a limited budget (whatever i get through turfs and vids, No money spent in game) so i won't waste a boost. I have boosted on people after they boosted me, If i'm trying to break a lobby record
  • DozerboyDozerboy Registered Users 213 Posts
    Wow thats a book and I ain't going to read it. There is no etiquette. Most tend not to boost on free races and 1k bets and below. Now that don't mean shit their are people out their that boost every race regardless. I don't boost other then above 1k bets and will make a post for boost free races. Sometimes I will call out (post) who the people who free boost are and that normal start a bunch of crap talk.

Now if I'm down on power via damage or tuning I do start boosting to get in the game [h=2][/h]
  • OFF ROAD HEMI2OFF ROAD HEMI2 Registered Users 1,011 Posts
    I know some ppl that turn boost on and never touch it again. Personally I only boost on bets 10k or higher or pinks. Anything else should come down to the tune and driver skill. My 2 cents anyway.
  • EvilDan77EvilDan77 Registered Users 282 Posts
    There are no rules. Only rule is win.
  • maxoneforevermaxoneforever Registered Users 2 Posts
    Personally, I never boost. But some people do it, there are several factor involved in it.

1. They aren't confident about their wins.
    2. Pressure from their team to score otherwise kick out.
    3. They don't know how to launch or shift the car.
    4. They have excess money to spend.
    5. They dont have a tune which is 0.100 sec faster than the lobby timing. For eg. 1656 lobby without boost 9.5xx is a decent time but one who does 9.4xx or less without boost will never boost, and always cry in the lobby whoever is boosting. Share your tune (LOL) then others will also not boost, then it boils down to perfect launch and shift. Then it would be fair game I guess.(LOL)

Hope GLU bring some update in which u can easily see the person boosting, so u have option to boost or timeout. So it would fair game play and those who aren't good in racing will start learning the basic how to drive a car then start turfing. In top 100 team u will find more people who can't perfect launch or shift properly they just spend money to boost and win the race.
  • pistolapistola Registered Users 437 Posts
    I boost even when I transfer cars lol. race what u got. some cant afford boost so they usually wine about peeps using boost. I don't care I boost every race.
  • Zombies8RZombies8R Registered Users 52 Posts
    During turf, I keep boost on in all lobby's 56 and above where I spend 95% of my time. I start with 600 boost and then use that as count down so I know how many races I did for the turf, usually 600-700 per turf. In non turf regular lobbies I don't boost at all unless for 1k or more. Exception to rule in turf is when someone posts "no boost", I always honor their wishes, don't want an unfair race. Thx for reading see ya in the game
  • Mathi0uzMathi0uz Registered Users 586 Posts
    Cool thought man. Thanks for the post. I run no boost unless 10k or above. I also hate when you ask for a 10k race and they raise to pinks.