Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.

Racing Rivals 6.0 (Repost)

[RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
Posted in "Word from the Devs" section, posting here to open it for discussion.

Unhelpful replies will be deleted.

Using and continuing to use abusive language will also result in actions leading to banishment, thats your first warning.

Lets be civil people.

Greetings Racers!

So as you may know, Rivals 6.0 is out and looking at the social pages and forums, there are those of you that are experiencing issues.

The main issues we are hearing about are…

• Lag (Latency) – We’re looking into it. First thing to be aware of is that once you’ve downloaded the update, it just downloads the game. Once you start playing, the game itself will start to download all the assets. Depending on traffic and bandwidth, that could slow your game down for a bit.

There are some concerns that the new Global Chat may also be causing that issue. We’re currently working on a “fix” for global chat which should rectify that.

Additionally, Our servers are also dealing with a higher amount of players downloading the game, so that may play a part as well.

If all you are experiencing is some delay and your graphics look fine, please allow some time to give your game and other players time to load and install the newest update.

• Graphics – What’s up with Rivals 6.0 graphics?
Our goal was to update the 3 year old Racing Rivals to be more on par with today’s mobile devices, which we’ve done. The graphics in Racing Rivals are of a higher fidelity than the graphics on previous versions. However, we also didn’t want to leave those of you with older devices in the lurch.

There are 1000s of different devices out there that run Racing Rivals, and it’s not that easy to cater to all of them. The abilities of each device vary in what they can support, but we tried our best to try to accommodate as many as possible.
We basically updated the graphics tools we use allowing us to bring you a better graphical experience, allowing us to use more fidelity, special effects and graphic scaling which allows us to increase or reduce the overall graphic experience.

If you are experiencing performance issues you may want to try and turn off some of these advanced settings by going to your account in game, then scroll down to Graphics Options. From there you can turn off the Advanced Shaders and/or Special Effects.

If you are experiencing blocky, pixelated, or cartoonish graphics then it could be a scaling issue. Currently, that setting is set by us based on what device you are using. Think of it as the graphics setting on many computer games where the game chooses an optimum setting based on your hardware. If we are unaware of what your device is capable of, we have set this to a lower setting to ensure better performance. Due to there being 1000s of devices, we are unable to have settings according to them all. If you are experiencing these issues, please send in a ticket via the “? “ in game and be sure to give us the details of what you may be experiencing along with name of the device you are using and what operating system it currently has and we’ll try and determine the capabilities of your device. Be sure to enter a ticket from the device you are experiencing issues with. In the future we plan on allowing players to choose their overall graphics setting, for now, we have to collect as much data about as many devices as we can.

• Paint and Wheels
We are currently looking into the reports of paints looking off such as fleck and matte paints. We are also looking into cars missing wraps and appearing white. We are also looking into issues with wheels.
IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

Prev13

Comments

• FuraiPinkerFuraiPinker Registered Users 13,302 Posts
    If this hasn't already been a suggestion, I would recommend that there would be a feature to disable/turn off the global chat, as it is one of the main factors of lag in the update.
  • BlitzChaosBlitzChaos Registered Users 418 Posts
    @Ryyst So willl the game ever run as smooth as it did before 6.0? Cause i aint liking that 30 FPS......
  • FAULK222FAULK222 Registered Users 19 Posts
    edited November 2016
    used the ? in game now it crashes every time i push the message button in the ? menu

ps issue is lag on launch and shifting
    Samsung note 4
    android version 6.0.1
  • Roush SportRoush Sport Registered Users, Moderators 1,485 Posts
    edited November 2016
    If I try to open the shipyard, the app force closes. IOS 9.3, Iphone 6sPlus. IGN Roushpotato.
    I've also seen posts about changing the graphics settings. The graphics settings options aren't available on IOS (that I can see from the in-game menus).
  • D4NG3R 72D4NG3R 72 Registered Users 1,399 Posts
    I've had latency soon as turf started before update, was getting orange box I haven't seen that in a long time, had to quit turf team, it was fine 10 minutes before in showdown, lags very bad now I've done all the steps to reduce this, and still the same, hoping to turf this week, ign d4ng3r 72 using 10" Samsung tab 4 android, thanks.
  • outlaw905outlaw905 Registered Users 513 Posts
    It's just laggy for me. Using Galaxy Core Prime 5.1.1 also using Galaxy Grand Prime 5.1.1
  • Mr__Ryan352Mr__Ryan352 Registered Users 2,089 Posts
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, Shifting and launch lags terribly. Other tha that it is doing ok. But i agree, there should be a disable button for world chat
    IGN: Turboracer352
    They already said they are addressing the main issues of the game so give it a little time. @outlaw905 the core prime is a pretty low end device so, yeah

• dahater75dahater75 Registered Users 74 Posts
    At least I can tune cars without constantly resetting, so props on that
  • outlaw905outlaw905 Registered Users 513 Posts
    @BlitzChaos everyone saying their issue and what devices they're using so just letting them know what I use and what's my issue.
  • ItsKyroItsKyro Registered Users 159 Posts
    @Ryyst have you guys looked at the before and after pictures of peoples cars? Fixing a matte and wheel glitch is one thing, but peoples cars went from ps4 graphics to a cartoon car.

I understand you guys made the decision to completely change the graphics so you're not going to revert, but before myself and a lot of others leave the game we want you guys to realize that you literally turned this into a different game and turned our cars into different cars then what we spent our time and money making.

Anyways, now that i have confirmation that other than the glitches this is the way the game is staying, I'm out. Its been fun. Hopefully we get another game out one day that can replicate what racing rivals brought us up until now.
  • 1320_Killer1320_Killer Registered Users 2,283 Posts
    I don't like change !!!!!!!!

IGN : 1320killer
  • Riyaad01Riyaad01 Registered Users 89 Posts
    Hi Guys

I have Samsung S5 and iPhone 6

Samsung S5 has been updated. The graphics im really struggling to see the improvement. It looks basic to be polite and very edgy. (Cartoon like. PS4 to PS1 comparison) The lag I have too as most have mentioned. Matt and flake paints need alot of work.

On other note I think Glu Test Racer been stalking me haha. (FYI he/she not very fast ;)..)

Any however love music and the new race look. The speed factor looks cool as it blurs out background.

iPhone wont be update till these issue are fixed or until forced to do so.
  • RogerTheTodgerRogerTheTodger Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 152 Posts
    I have an Samsung S7. I'm not a tech junkie but my understanding is that its a pretty capable phone and also very common.

When the update first installed it was almost unusable. The fonts and background colours...... Oh my....

The Lag issue seems to have improved massively since yesterday and menus etc. now open quicker than before update.

Graphics have taken a nose dive. I never played this game for graphics. It's always been a little basic. But pinks, trades, friends, enemies and community is what makes RR. That's its USP. It's why I've spent more on this game than I spent buying and actual XBox. But I would like my cars to not look totally f**cked

I'm not a fan of smoke on the runway. OK at the end, but at the start of the race is an unnecessary distraction.

A small thing, but strangely important to me, why TF when you get a good launch does it make a sound like a Star Wars laser pistol? It used to make one which sounded like squeaking rubber - which I liked.

Also, everytime I press a button it makes Star Wars noises. Why?

But please. Please. Turn off global chat. Chat rooms work well with 20ish active posters at most. Having the whole of of RR in one chat room is just nuts.

Plus you can't scroll back when you miss something because everytime a new comment is posted (about 0.7s) it jumps you back to the bottom.

I do like the new garage. The new dyno graph is a big improvement.

It would be nice to have a tag on the part menu to denote which parts are installing, like the little green thing there used to be.

Actual gameplay for me seems to be OK. Although not for everyone I gather

All in all. A work in progress. Kind of surprised you released it in this state, but oh well, lets try and get it sorted.
  • RogerTheTodgerRogerTheTodger Unregistered / Not Logged In, Registered Users 152 Posts
    Another comment is that when you challenge someone and they call pinks it is not very obvious except for the sound. Pretty sure this is gonna catch me out accidentally running a pinks race with no boost on soon.
  • 2thpic2thpic Registered Users 188 Posts
    it has sooooooooo bad lag that i really really want to delete all of my accounts and go to a different racing game.
    i have spent so much real cash on this game and now it really bits.
    turned off the graphics and still runs crappy. there wasn't nothing wrong with the game before. why try to keep up with other games like crs when i left crs to play this one. wow this has been a bad day for me...............................................

It is like Metallica playing a Britney Spears song........................

• [RR] Foxx[RR] Foxx Moderators 2,164 Posts
    Part of the lag is going to be you downloading the new assets for cars etc.

We are monitoring/reviewing global chat for both lag, and how its used.

The "star wars" sound is adjustable so I agree that can tone down. Or even go back to the old one

The graphical update is really the big thing here. From our point of view this was going to be an update to our users, something we thought was a "player facing feature" meaning it was designed to be an improvement to overall experience. What this cost us, and what I can see in the feedback here is a sense of "style", in our haste to make the game "look better" we failed to look into our own brand and accept that we had a style which users liked. The other side effect of this is that overall costs went up, if you use new things you need newer devices. This is ending up downgrading the experience for a subset of our users, which is of course, not what we want.

I basically want you to know we are looking at it in detail, and while things like "just make it go back" arent that easy, especially when we want to pick and choose what goes back. That doesnt mean that it is off the table.

There are other issues and bugs we are also addressing but the core seems to sit around the car graphics.

i don't normally post bad reviews or comments but it really does not make the experience any better for me.
    i liked it before, i will give it a week and if it gets better then i will keep the game if not i will sale all cars and or give them to a new player and make their day.

@Foxx What is up with that FPS? Why do you got that locked at 30 FPS? Like im pretty sure most phones can handle 60 GPS (Assuming you have decent optimization)
    @BlitzChaos This is the graphical update. You could downgrade your visual settings to increase your fps or vice versa. There are a few bugs we're working on but the majority of this is just tech vs tech.
  • tequileros97tequileros97 Registered Users 911 Posts
    edited November 2016
    Imo, the graphics could use a lot of work because they've made the game a lot slower for many devices now that the graphics have been amped up. My friend's android phone used to run RR with no problem, but with the update the fps lag makes it unplayable for him. Changing the graphics settings helped him slightly, but the fps lag is still pretty bad for him. Even my iPad that ran RR butter smooth shows slight lag on the menu screen after the 6.0 update. Unfortunately for me, I can't change the graphics because there's no graphics options on my settings menu

Also, sometimes when I do tournaments I get stuck on the loading screen when I try to join a lobby, so I have to restart the game. When I do restart however, the game takes me straight to the tournament lobby that I was supposed to join and it tells me I lost the tournament.

I don't think the world chat is needed because people talk nonsense and spam in chat anyways, but that might be because people have strong feelings against the new update.
  • EmoMatos50EmoMatos50 Registered Users 44 Posts
    Hello. 6.0 update is killing my phone battery life. Looks laggish and bad instead 5.0 version.

The paints and the details doesnt look the same as before. The paint looks like paint + chlorine, washed out colors. (I have a gold camaro that looks like bronze now -_-)

And the launch on cars are getting more difficult. If the game moves slower, the reaction time will be bad or foul. And im using a iPhone 6s.

Please fix this or bring back 5.0 till you guys fix this.
  • R4NK1NDUD3R4NK1NDUD3 Registered Users 596 Posts
    I'm overall ok with the update. But my major complaint is the ugly graphics.
  • EmoMatos50EmoMatos50 Registered Users 44 Posts
    edited November 2016
    I like the update too. But the troubles, lags, and battery draining too way fast, makes me to want 5.0 back
  • C Dees NutsC Dees Nuts Registered Users 1,271 Posts
    [RR] Foxx said:

Part of the lag is going to be you downloading the new assets for cars etc.

We are monitoring/reviewing global chat for both lag, and how its used.

The "star wars" sound is adjustable so I agree that can tone down. Or even go back to the old one

The graphical update is really the big thing here. From our point of view this was going to be an update to our users, something we thought was a "player facing feature" meaning it was designed to be an improvement to overall experience. What this cost us, and what I can see in the feedback here is a sense of "style", in our haste to make the game "look better" we failed to look into our own brand and accept that we had a style which users liked. The other side effect of this is that overall costs went up, if you use new things you need newer devices. This is ending up downgrading the experience for a subset of our users, which is of course, not what we want.

I basically want you to know we are looking at it in detail, and while things like "just make it go back" arent that easy, especially when we want to pick and choose what goes back. That doesnt mean that it is off the table.

There are other issues and bugs we are also addressing but the core seems to sit around the car graphics.

Is reverting back to pre 6.0 actually an option being seriously considered? The game is far more flash than it needs to be now IMO. I want to just sign on and race, and not get a headache from all that is going on in the game now. The allure of the game was the simplicity of it, and now that that is gone I don't think I will be playing anymore.

Lag is really hard to pinpoint sometimes, specific examples help. "it lags when i...", really help. Lag could be from downloading of assets (should go away a little while after you update), Could be from your phone trying to run better than it can, or settings be up too high. (we are currently working on these tiers, the more device info we get the better, especially on android). Could also be from a other non-related bug, or it could be internet. Specifics help.

As for certain paint/matte paint not looking right, we are actively working on those fixes.

Battery Draining is also interesting, if you could describe your play session or how much your battery is draining from before to now it'll help.

As for reverting and whether its an option. Everything is an option, but everything is also with risk, we need to seriously look at our options from every angle before I commit to any "official" response, but its all we're focused on currently.
  • FAULK222FAULK222 Registered Users 19 Posts
    @[RR] Foxx i don't think my lag issue is not due to downloading assets still there after over 24 hours

as for other feedback the font is to small for the results screen and car selections contrast is not good either for me almost looks like there is a filter on the game of some sort
  • hexxum001hexxum001 Registered Users 3,954 Posts
    This is just my opinion but I think the overall graphics of the actual game are not too bad. What is really upsetting a lot of people is the way that the cars look now. The graphics for the cars seem to have taken 2 steps back. As others have mentioned, they look somewhat cartoonish now. The way the cars looked before the 6.0 update were much better. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it but the cars looked sharper and much more realistic. Now, they look more like generic racing game cars. I'm not sure if I am explaining myself adequately but I think if the cars looked closer to the way they were before the 6.0 update, I think a lot of people will calm down. lol
    @[RR] Foxx

Thanks for the communication and explanations.

I'm sure it's frustrating for a small team to get a kicking from their user base over sometime I have no doubt a lot of hard work went into.

There's a lot of good stuff in the update too. I have very little technical knowledge of apps, but I IMO a rollback would be a mistake. Push on, fix what can be fixed and ditch what can't.