Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.

Ryyst's Blog #6 - Six Point Oh

Comments

• 187redrum781187redrum781 Registered Users 6,832 Posts
    Come on rryst. This seriously just sounds like the usual. Excuses and push blame elsewhere. You mean to tell me no one there has a iPhone 6s+? iPad mini 4th gen? Galaxy s7 ? Or these are dinosaurs? If you guys really tested this out the testers should be fired for saying this is acceptable
  • SpeedTrappSpeedTrapp Registered Users 123 Posts
    edited November 2016
    @[RR] Ryyst My racer name is the "TheDarthVader" on my Galaxy S3

@[RR]Ryyst My racer name is the "TheDarthVader" on my Galaxy S3

Now that's a dinosaur
    But RR 5.1.3 worked fine on that dinosaur

But RR 5.1.3 worked fine on that dinosaur

That's fine. But this a whole different animal. If a new device is experiencing lag your dinosaur will start smoking
    Even the graphics on my primary account on my S7 look like crap, mattes are not mattes, rims look white instead of red or gold, and don't get me started about wrapped cars
  • HowienHowien Registered Users 166 Posts

Howien said:

MK_JEDI said:

Everything that's wrong with update. I understand that things are not done yet and there still addressing most of the problems. My problem is why release the update and not a beta version or something

No matter how may QA testers we have and devices we have, there is no way for us to test everything. Whileit sounds simple enough, it really isnt. How do we know how one samsung acts here on this ISP in this location will act differently on the same Samsung with maybe a different setting somewhere on the device, with different resources in a different area of the world using a different ISP or different wi-fi. Do that for all the 1000s of android devices out there and the 1000s of different configurations for each device.

It's impossible. All we can do is make sure it works with what we have. And yes, it did. However there is really no way of predecting what happens when it goes from handful of devices in our limited configurations to 100,000 of players using 1000s of devices, all with different programs on them, some running at the same time, in different locations in the world using different ISPs with their own set of variables or on wi-fi with again, their own set of variables.

It happens every time we update. We put out something that for the most part works for us, then we release it and then we see hwat happens when it reaches players on a grand scale and then we work through the issues. It's nothing new... and in fact, this isn't the worst update we've had. Anyone remember update 4.0?

Key word here, is that you didnt even tried testing it out at players end!!!
    Howien said:

And why is over half of what i wrote in my previous post gone? Odd!!!!!!

Player testing is not as feasible as it may sound.

I didn't touch your post. So don't bring out the conspiracy theories
    I wont:) something odd happend when i was about to post.

Well, i just wrote a bunch of my normal crap:)

One good thing in previous updates, i wanna congrats you on getting rid of the android hackers. Briliiant move on getting rid of the dll files:) and the game went to be worth spending money at again! Which i stupidly enough startet to again!

But i cant really understand why you come up with an update like this. Why not take advantage of the player councils and their friends, running a decent prober beta test in real life? It cant be true that this game cant run prober on an iphone 6s,mwhich is the second fastest phone from apple.

This looks like it was rushed trough to please some CEO somewhere, and reminds me of some of the previous left hand works you gave us.

Having said so, i basicly dont care, apple got the "report an app" button which i will use, and i of course will copy/paste your blog, which more or less says that you need us to have the lastest hardware technology to play the game. Then i get my reemburstment and everybody is happy, well maybe except you guys, but you diserve it with this junk you send us!!

HOWISTHAT??

Even the graphics on my primary account on my S7 look like crap, mattes are not mattes, rims look white instead of red or gold, and don't get me started about wrapped cars

Same for us all man. Had a t25 1970 camaro re. Orange and black wrap. The whole front end now was red. Smh when was it Red??
    Did you actully testet this on a server on some real wifi? Or did you play a bit in the lunch breake over a closed local network?
    Howien said:

Howien said:

MK_JEDI said:

Everything that's wrong with update. I understand that things are not done yet and there still addressing most of the problems. My problem is why release the update and not a beta version or something

No matter how may QA testers we have and devices we have, there is no way for us to test everything. Whileit sounds simple enough, it really isnt. How do we know how one samsung acts here on this ISP in this location will act differently on the same Samsung with maybe a different setting somewhere on the device, with different resources in a different area of the world using a different ISP or different wi-fi. Do that for all the 1000s of android devices out there and the 1000s of different configurations for each device.

It's impossible. All we can do is make sure it works with what we have. And yes, it did. However there is really no way of predecting what happens when it goes from handful of devices in our limited configurations to 100,000 of players using 1000s of devices, all with different programs on them, some running at the same time, in different locations in the world using different ISPs with their own set of variables or on wi-fi with again, their own set of variables.

It happens every time we update. We put out something that for the most part works for us, then we release it and then we see hwat happens when it reaches players on a grand scale and then we work through the issues. It's nothing new... and in fact, this isn't the worst update we've had. Anyone remember update 4.0?

Howien said:

One good thing in previous updates, i wanna congrats you on getting rid of the android hackers. Briliiant move on getting rid of the dll files:) and the game went to be worth spending money at again! Which i stupidly enough startet to again!

But i cant really understand why you come up with an update like this. Why not take advantage of the player councils and their friends, running a decent prober beta test in real life? It cant be true that this game cant run prober on an iphone 6s,mwhich is the second fastest phone from apple.

This looks like it was rushed trough to please some CEO somewhere, and reminds me of some of the previous left hand works you gave us.

Having said so, i basicly dont care, apple got the "report an app" button which i will use, and i of course will copy/paste your blog, which more or less says that you need us to have the lastest hardware technology to play the game. Then i get my reemburstment and everybody is happy, well maybe except you guys, but you diserve it with this junk you send us!!

HOWISTHAT??
    You really think the hackers will ever stop? They will figure out a way
  • Roush SportRoush Sport Registered Users, Moderators 1,485 Posts
    Ryyst - is it possible, for comparison sake, to make a post of what the graphics "should" look like on each setting? Reason I ask, is I'm running an IPhone 6s+, and in reading your posts, I'd like to send a ticket in just to ensure my device is set to run at the highest possible setting applicable to it. However, before I waste customer service's time, I'd like to be able to compare what my device currently displays, to what it "should" look like. Perhaps pictures of what the graphics look like on low, medium, high, and ultra? I think that would go a long way for other players as well so that they can compare. Granted, that won't help in regards to shedding any kind of light on what their specific devices "should" be capable of, but I think overall it'd help out a bit. Comments?

Ryyst - is it possible, for comparison sake, to make a post of what the graphics "should" look like on each setting? Reason I ask, is I'm running an IPhone 6s+, and in reading your posts, I'd like to send a ticket in just to ensure my device is set to run at the highest possible setting applicable to it. However, before I waste customer service's time, I'd like to be able to compare what my device currently displays, to what it "should" look like. Perhaps pictures of what the graphics look like on low, medium, high, and ultra? I think that would go a long way for other players as well so that they can compare. Granted, that won't help in regards to shedding any kind of light on what their specific devices "should" be capable of, but I think overall it'd help out a bit. Comments?

I have the same phone. How can you change the graphic setting ?

Howien said:

Howien said:

MK_JEDI said:

Howien said:

HOWISTHAT??
    You really think the hackers will ever stop? They will figure out a way
    Of course they wont stop, but as long as the game dont hold any dll files, its more than diffcult injecting some of their own ehh?:)
  • RafaOguraRafaOgura Registered Users 437 Posts
    I have Iphone 6s 64GB with more than enough space not much on phone and also mini Ipad. both used to run fine until the update.
    matte white paint became black, and flake paint look horrible. game is slower than before. wish the game wasnt updated. just my opinion. ign: RaFaOgura
  • Roush SportRoush Sport Registered Users, Moderators 1,485 Posts

I can't change it.....what I'm gathering is that customer service is in charge of changing it (for now, anyway). I just wanted to check to see how the game "should" look, so that I can compare it to how it currently looks on my phone, before I add another ticket into customer service's queue. Basically, I want to know if what I'm seeing is what I should be seeing, or if what I'm seeing needs corrected.

Make sense?
  • KalaboratorKalaborator Registered Users 1,682 Posts
    So I've looked at basically every new phone out and checked out the graphics on each device running RR and EVERY SINGLE ONE looks the same. Like a steaming pile of s. Please, tell me again how it's our devices. Or maybe should I turn off the special bs and advanced shaders which should make it look better. Makes sense right? Lmao
    Plata o Plomo

La muerte a todos estafadores!!!
  • [RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
    Howien said:

I love this!! Especially the last chapter. When EXCACTLY will it be ok again? As you said, you been trough 6 updates, and as i see it you havent learned anything from the 5 previous HOWISHTAT?

Your talk alot about the graphics,which for many people count less, compared to smooth game playability. In case your not know it, we WANT/DEMAND a game that runs smooth and fast. We dont care about flashy graphics that uses all our devices ram/gpu/cpu power. For all i care, i could race in a triangle with wheels on, just as long as all the rest of the goes fast!! It migjt be a good idea if you guys could get a overview of which devices has most market shares. It makes no sen

I seriuosly have difficulties understanding why you invitet players to council, when you obviesly didnt used anything they brought to table. For an example, i know the load friend thing was on the table, you should be able to load a friend and chat/join him/her without loading the garage, that backfired i see:) Last night i was onnthe phone with Joe. He tried playing on his ipad air2 and that decice obviesly is to slow to run your game now!! It kept crashing eveytime he loaded someones garage.

You assume that each update is exactly the same. It isnt. Again when we release an update, We test it as much as we can, however.. .again... we cannot.. .no one can... test every... single... situation... out there.

Lets look at it this way.... for simplicity...

Say there are only ... 20 cities that play this game and lets say each city has 1000 players.

So we have 20k players. Lets say that between those 20k players there are 50 different devices split evenly between them. So 400 players use device 1, 400 use device 2 and so on.

Lets say each device has... 10 different configurations (different apps running, memory configs, and various device settings)

Then lets say half the people in each city play using wi-fi, hald data. The people on wi-fi 100 use home wifi and the other half use public wi-fi of some sort and lets say for the sake of simplicity, each person home wi-fi is identical.

Lets then say that the other 200 split between 10 different ISPs.

Right there, in this very limited view of the world there are already many many different variables to check. There is no way to check that all, even if we had a staff of 1000 testers.

As for the council. They didn't have any power. They were here to give their opinions. We did show them 6.0 on devices, they played them. However it was an early version, and on semi-optimal devices. Once we got down to making it work on 1000s of devices, things needed to change. Also we never said that everything they suggested would be put in game, and the ones we said were, were never part of 6.0. Most of that was post 6.0. So the loading friends things di not "backfired", it was never put in the game because it was never supposed to be in 6.0.

I too have spoken with Joe, and yes, he is having problems on his iPad Air, As I've stated. We are basically trying to figure out what graphic setting all these devices should be played on. From what we've tested, the iPad air should be playable at the graphics setting we set for it, however, looks like it's not so we may have to lower it. That is where we're at.

New and high end devices should be able to play this game on "ultra" which is all the best settings. Shaders are high, special effects are high etc. The older the device, the less capable they are. That's just fact. An iPhone 7 is more powerful than an iPhone 6. A galaxy 7 is more powerful than a galaxy 6. You can't dispute that. Some cheaper devices aren't as powerful as name brands, its fact. So While your device is limited by its own capabilities and power, The game is now made so that its' able to scale to that power. However, that does mean that it will sacrifice graphic fidelity for performance. It's finding that right balance, and that will take time and for people to tell us what their device is doing.

IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
    Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

So I've looked at basically every new phone out and checked out the graphics on each device running RR and EVERY SINGLE ONE looks the same. Like a steaming pile of s. Please, tell me again how it's our devices. Or maybe should I turn off the special bs and advanced shaders which should make it look better. Makes sense right? Lmao

We have a list of over 500 devices. You checked them all? That's awesome.

How is the Huawei Huawei Vns-L31? The Lge Lg-H810? Did you have any issues on the Kyocera Kyocera-C6745?

The game looks fine on my iPhone7 and my Andorid Galaxy S6. It looks fine on my friends iPhone 6. So the fact is, it's not all devices.

Like I said, outside of device, there are outside factors... which again, To actually help us, put in a ticket with what you are experiencing in terms of "It's slow when I...." and we can better try and determine why not everyone's device is rendering or performing the way they should be.

Currently the scaling is only set by device. We are now thinking it may be beneficial to allow players to set it themselves... so if you have a low end device, you can choose to up the graphic settings, if you like playing like you're racing on molasses.

Howien said:

Did you actully testet this on a server on some real wifi? Or did you play a bit in the lunch breake over a closed local network?

I see your back handed attempt at an insult and reply with.. yes.. and no.

I would love to hear how you feel we can improve our QA practices on testing a multi-platform cross platform synchronous multiplayer game using assets with 100s of different variable components to work on over 1000 different devices with 1000s of different setting on 1000s of different data and wi-fi configurations. All with a handful of people and devices. Because that would be awesome.

edited November 2016
    Really your QA dept tested that all colors on cars and wheels looked the same or better in 6.0 ? I cant believe that, because most cars look like crap on a Samsung Galaxy S7 with both advanced graphics ON and OFF

Really your QA dept tested that all colors on cars and wheels looked the same or better in 6.0 ? I cant believe that, because most cars look like crap on a Samsung Galaxy S7 with both advanced graphics ON and OFF

Try this. I just did this and now it's awesome!!!!! Completely wipe your phone. Have nothing at all on it except for RR. Then tape your phone to your router. Make sure the router is covered in Reynolds wrap and you have to be on your roof. Works perfectly now
    @187redrum781 at this pace I will be self crushing my cars

Howien said:

I see your back handed attempt at an insult and reply with.. yes.. and no.

I would love to hear how you feel we can improve our QA practices on testing a multi-platform cross platform synchronous multiplayer game using assets with 100s of different variable components to work on over 1000 different devices with 1000s of different setting on 1000s of different data and wi-fi configurations. All with a handful of people and devices. Because that would be awesome.
    Ok, here are my thoughts about how you can test, thanks for taking your time on answering in my other post btw.

The council have no power you say, thats fine, but in some way you appreciate their thoughts as topplayers, otherwise you wouldten have invitet them the first place i take:)

So if there are 8 council members, they got 200 friends, thats 1600 players which you can use.
    Why not offer those 7 or 8 a chance to help you out testing, all those 14-1600 players are spread all over the world and have both different IPS and goes into different tracks on the game. Let them beta test and let those friends to the council report back,,and then let the council members report back to you.. THAT should work amigo.

Btw you really cant blame me for beeing pissed and try to just insult you guys a little bit. After all i am spending money and there for it really aint a unrealistic demand that you get your shit right, is it:)

Btw i have 3 guys on team using iphone 6s and they all report its close to unplayable
    edited November 2016
    Sure we can demand, GLU works for us, if we don't pay them, they are out of a job. They better fix this game or guess what, they can spend all their resources at making kim kardashian video games, it's not like we don't have other racing video game options
    Btw its not just a matter of the game scaling down the grapichs, thats simply brilliant. As i said before, i can race a triangle with wheel under as long as the game is smooth and fast. But thats the problem, it aint. All menus like tune like loading garages or whatever are even slower now. And THATS annoying. We simpky waste to much time waiting and waiting and then wait some more:(
    dahater75 said:

I applaud that you are taking time to talk with the customer base. I have an s6, nite 7 for a minute and maybe getting the pixels but s6 has plenty enough to run the game one would think.

You guys keep saying thee are thousands of devices, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe if you go back to the first iPhone but most people I'd guess have a phone within 3 irb4 years. The graphics are just bad. I can't believe for a second that this was considered better looking by anyone but I guess it's personal taste.

Also, where are the cool things promised, rest track etc? I'm just curious, maybe you plan on releasing at a diffrent stage.

Global chat is horrendous. Go play call of duty for 15 m8n. Notjing like me a 41 year old man being verbally spdomized by a tween lol. this is now racing rivals chat. Now it's easy for scammers to reach new customers I guess.

I've said it time and time. It's about your new player base coming into the game. when people get robbed repeatedly at the start of game, the quit.

On a positive note, tuning in mass is easier. I always hated I had to reset after every car I upgraded. what made it worse is you guys saying it wasn't happening. You've done a great job of making it better, and at least you are owning this. There is a lot to be said about that.

Currently, sorting how many unique device models have logged into the game within a day, we are at 500 different devices.

It very well could be personal taste. I'm currently going to try and get screenshots of how the game should be looking like on different devices so at least there is something to compare to.

As for the other things "promised". When I mentioned them, it was always post 6.0. So it was never a part of this release.

C y r u s said:

The problem I see with this update and the part that has really irritated the community would be the complete graphics overhaul. I understand the game is moving forward but the previous updates may have changed the layout of your garage, controls etc, but none changed the entire look of the game. Cars pretty much always looked the same. This new update makes it look like an entirely new game and most aren't happy with it.

I understand reverting back isn't an easy, or even possible, option but something needs to change. Cars reflect the street during races. Seems like the cars are made out of mirrors. And what many people are complaining about is that RR was a different style of racing game which set it apart from the others. This update looks like a cheap rip off of CSR.. a poorly done version and now it's just one in the same with all the others.

Another new part to the game that's absolutely not needed is the pop sound when the light turns green during races. It's annoying, throws your shift timing off cause you can't hear your rpms over it and it's absolutely pointless. You have the ding of the lights. Why add this to the game?

Fair enough, We'll own up to that. We felt moving away from the "sanctioned" style of racing was a good thing, and to do that we wanted everything to look more "underground". We also heard feedback that our game looked too old, and that there were games out there that looked better, and that was a reason people were "leaving" the game. So we looked into updating the graphics to be more on par with what today's devices are capable of, instead of the graphics that were designed for devices from 5 years ago.

It's a learning curve for us. We were so excited about the new look that we didn't stop and really ask our players if it was something they wanted. Though, to be fair, from the feedback we got when a certain other car game came out, opinions would be split on that front. Like I said, we also received a lot of feedback from players before the update about the state of the graphics.

As for the sounds. We can definitely see about changing that if that is what a lot of players want. I'm probably going to try and do a poll here on the forums about certain changes to gauge what players may want. We'll see. First thing is first, we want to get the game back to a stable state first.

dahater75 said:

I applaud that you are taking time to talk with the customer base. I have an s6, nite 7 for a minute and maybe getting the pixels but s6 has plenty enough to run the game one would think.

You guys keep saying thee are thousands of devices, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe if you go back to the first iPhone but most people I'd guess have a phone within 3 irb4 years. The graphics are just bad. I can't believe for a second that this was considered better looking by anyone but I guess it's personal taste.

Also, where are the cool things promised, rest track etc? I'm just curious, maybe you plan on releasing at a diffrent stage.

Global chat is horrendous. Go play call of duty for 15 m8n. Notjing like me a 41 year old man being verbally spdomized by a tween lol. this is now racing rivals chat. Now it's easy for scammers to reach new customers I guess.

I've said it time and time. It's about your new player base coming into the game. when people get robbed repeatedly at the start of game, the quit.

On a positive note, tuning in mass is easier. I always hated I had to reset after every car I upgraded. what made it worse is you guys saying it wasn't happening. You've done a great job of making it better, and at least you are owning this. There is a lot to be said about that.

Currently, sorting how many unique device models have logged into the game within a day, we are at 500 different devices.

It very well could be personal taste. I'm currently going to try and get screenshots of how the game should be looking like on different devices so at least there is something to compare to.

As for the other things "promised". When I mentioned them, it was always post 6.0. So it was never a part of this release.
    I would love to see you make some video of actual gameplay on decent devices
    Back when this was CIE and they were going to android they posted and found players that had a droid device or were willing to get one volunteer to do beta testing and report back issues. Why not do something like that? That way you have plenty of people willing to test that have time and will report back real world issues. The ones that did it back then got a wrapped gt2 and probably some gems.