Over the course of the last five years, Racing Rivals has grown into one of the most hardcore racing games in the world. This loyal community has spent countless hours competing in millions of races in “winner take all” fashion – all in the name of Turf Wars and pink slips.

However, all good things must come to an end… After spending time evaluating Rivals and its future – we’ve decided that it’s time to move on. Simply put, the revenue generated from Racing Rivals unfortunately no longer covers the cost of operations. This was not an easy decision to make.

On March 31st, 2019 – Rivals will be racing off into the sunset, and will be permanently shut down. Current players have until this date to utilize any accumulated virtual currency. We’ll be offering some massive reductions in the cost of crates, installs and repairs in addition to a reduction on timers as you race your way into the history books. Effective immediately, no new in-app purchases will be permitted.

In closing, a resounding and sincere THANK YOU to our extremely driven fans for your loyalty and dedication over the years – we hope you’ve enjoyed playing Racing Rivals as much as we’ve enjoyed creating it.

Our Bad

[RR] Ryyst[RR] Ryyst Registered Users, Moderators 3,814 Posts
edited March 2017 in The Carbonated Garage
Hey all,

Sometimes you do things and basically everything that could go wrong… goes wrong.

Scroll down for the TL:DR version…

Turf War Tokyo, with the Ford Focus RS RE, shouldn’t have been what it was. We basically made a crate car a Turf Prize, something we said we would never do again. We didn’t really lie, we never intended that, but as this team is transitioning from Glu to Carbonated, some things got lost in translation. The same people who made that promise no longer work on Rivals so while we should also just know better than to put a crate car in Turf, the original promise was probably never relayed to the new team. Our Bad.

The work on that Turf War began way before it was caught. By the time we realized what was happening, it was too late to try and put a new car in. So instead of just letting it be without any kind of rectification we decided to make the fourth tier car prize paintable. So at least it gave some worth to those who already had that car from the crates.

Normally, we could make a very simple change, however, it turned out to not be simple. If we just turned on the paint for the car, it would have broken other things. Unfortunately, our second solution was to give the top 100 teams a paintable car, however that was going to take a lot of work and there would be no way to push it live for Turf Wars. So then we decided, we’ll just let Turf War go as planned and just give the second car later.

Now, bear in mind that all this work is on top of our normal work cadence, also bear in mind the team working on Rivals is still a transition team of Glu and Carbonated employees, and its a bit smaller team and we’re still working out processes and what not between two different locations. Other internal matters were going on and unfortunately some of the plan for the car took longer to complete and the distribution method plan wasn’t conveyed well enough. So instead of cars going to only those players that won the car in Turf War, they went out to whoever had one.

Obviously this was not what was intended and we scrambled first thing in the morning to come up with a solution.

We decided that removing these cars was not an option, no need to make more players suffer than already occurred. So what do we do? We came up with the only way for us to give everyone what was promised.

All players that won that Turf War in 1st place will get a paintable version of the special wrapped car with 1st place wheels.

All players that won that Turf War in 2nd to 5th place will get a paintable version of the special wrapped car with special wheels.

So basically if you were supposed to get one of those cars because your team won Turf War and you already claimed that Turf War’s prize, you will. Our customer service team will be doing that manually. If you already received your correct paintable car, you will not be getting a second special paintable car.

All players who were on winning team from rank 6 to 100 will get a paintable version of the car with normal wheels.

Each player that won a turf prize car from that Turf War will each also receive 500 gems which will be distributed by our customer service team as an apology for what transpired. We hope that will help recoup any costs for winning that Turf War.

Additionally, every player will receive a paintable Ford Focus RS RE as an apology for the issues this has caused the community. Yes that means that some of you will be receiving 2 paintable cars.

We know this won’t please everyone, unfortunately, there really is now way for us to make it up to everyone in a way that is 100% satisfying, we are however, trying to make amends for our mistakes and we promise to strive and do better.

We are currently working on making sure the top 5 teams get the cars they should have. Gems will also be sent along once that happens.

The free car to everyone will be sent as soon as our QA team has tested it. Only those on the winning top 100 teams will be receiving the gem award.

- The Glu and Carbonated Racing Rivals Staff.

TL:DR

Top 100 team players who won a car from Turf War will get the car they were promised along with 500 gems.

Everyone will receive a paintable Ford Focus RS RE
IGN: The Real {RR} Ryyst
Soon to be Ex-Carbonated Community Manager

Prev13

Comments

• dwdtuningdwdtuning Registered Users 12,932 Posts
    Thanks big chief
    ★ HATERS MAKE US FAMOUS ★

★#1 MM ★

☆ Stalkers are creepy ☆

>:)
  • r1y2a3n420r1y2a3n420 Registered Users 11 Posts
    Thanks for stepping up and making things right. We appreciate the effort
  • DuceReeDuceRee Registered Users 13,675 Posts
    :trollface:
  • itskillerquezitskillerquez Registered Users 737 Posts
    love it! thanks for the update good luck to the team
  • ManguMangu Registered Users 2 Posts
    Thanks for for the paintable focus RS RE, when will we get the 500 gems ?
  • C y r u sC y r u s Registered Users 293 Posts
    Sounds like a reasonable solution that should satisfy everyone. If your not satisfied, too bad lol. Good job guys
  • Alex2017Alex2017 Registered Users 14 Posts
    Now we just need to know when we will receive

Do you have any predictions?
  • kraykrayvrokraykrayvro Registered Users 5,626 Posts
    You guys are fckn awesome :)
  • djames80djames80 Registered Users 7 Posts
    Well there went the money I just spent on getting a paintable one. Since I didn't get the one I was supposed to. Smh
  • sine1970sine1970 Registered Users 1 Posts
    Thanks been with racing rivals for almost 3 1/2 know and been great
  • AshoSpeedAshoSpeed Registered Users 4,151 Posts
    Why rryst whyyy
  • djames80djames80 Registered Users 7 Posts
    Please explain why the People that didnt hit t100 get a turf car. You all didn't cause them any trouble. I just don't understand. Why ruin any value the car might have had by giving undeserving ppl a turf car? I'm at a loss for words. I'm not usually that guy but is there something I don't understand?
  • CircusOfSinsCircusOfSins Registered Users 11,304 Posts
    Classy move guys :)

• KevoKevo Registered Users 30 Posts
    Thanks for listening and trying a plus for effort d minus on horrible execution . I wish only top 100 teams got the paintable version now the paintable Ford Focus rs re is the new cobra jet unfortunately ....
  • Roush SportRoush Sport Registered Users, Moderators 1,485 Posts
    djames80 said:

Please explain why the People that didnt hit t100 get a turf car. You all didn't cause them any trouble. I just don't understand. Why ruin any value the car might have had by giving undeserving ppl a turf car? I'm at a loss for words. I'm not usually that guy but is there something I don't understand?

Just goes to show - no matter what they do, someone will always be upset. They could give folks the world on a silver platter, and they'd complain it's not gold.

He said that everyone is getting a car due to the unrest it caused within the community.

Why ruin the value? Value is a tricky thing, especially since the buying, trading, and selling of cars is not recognized, nor is it supported by the game creators.

Were you upset when they gave everyone a cobra jet and 1000 gems as an apology for the changing of the car rating system / tuning fiasco that happened?
  • The_GuyThe_Guy Registered Users 8 Posts
    edited March 2017
    Not talking about black market.

But I paid "you" $200+ for getting RS-RE's off the silver crates???

Did you just give out a cars I paid you $200 for for free?????

It was my real money that I paid "you". Not the frigging market to get some "special" car, that "you" promised holds "value". Because it's not "free"!!!

Why destroy the value of my "real" cash just because I trusted you with it.

No wonder it makes me never want to buy gems off you again.

Please return my 13000 gems that I spent on silver crates before you give this car for free and take those wrapped and silver focuses off my account.

Idgaf about them anymore.

Or better, just return my $200 cash please. Ty
  • draftmotodraftmoto Registered Users 82 Posts
    Wait everyone
  • draftmotodraftmoto Registered Users 82 Posts
    Or everyone who turfed
    edited March 2017
    Seriously, why in the world would you give a car that everyone "paid for" in the crates and even in turfs ffs for free???

Glu just wants to rip you off your hard earned money and then say "Oh, it's my money and my cars now. I will do whatever I want with them".
    I was my frigging "real money" and I have the right to demand justice for its value.

Maybe Glu won't listen, but I'm sure American Express and Google will.
    Everyone who paid for the cars please demand your money back from Google or your credit card companies.

Glu has basically cheated you and made you pay for something that is supposed to be "free".
    The_Guy said:

It was my real money that I paid "you". Not the frigging market to get some "special" car, that "you" promised holds "value". Because it's not "free"!!!

Please return my 13000 gems that I spent on silver crates before you give this car for free and take those wrapped and silver focuses off my account.

Ok, let's go through this.

First - you spent $200...by your choice, no one forced you. Now, you spent that $200 for entertainment...as nothing in this game is a tangible asset. It's all digital content, provided by Glu / Carbonated...and even though you spent the money, bought the crates with the gems, received the blueprints, collected the car, etc....none of it is yours. It is all the property of Glu / Carbonated. You paid for the ability to use items in the game....that equation hasn't changed. You can still use what you have, and what you rightfully paid for.

The cars do not have value. You can chose to spend money to obtain them, or you can use other means (watching videos, etc) to save up the gems to buy them. Spending money just makes it easier / faster, but again...it's not necessary.

The value of your real cash wasn't and hasn't been destroyed - you paid for entertainment (generally speaking), and you got it. End of transaction.

Not sure how everyone getting a free paintable version of the car affects you in the slightest. Everyone receiving one is not taking anything away from you. And before you say "well, now everyone has one, which means I won't ever be able to sell mine in an attempt to recoup anything I spent on it / them in the first place".....as the game says, trades / sales are not supported or recognized. So, in that aspect, the "value" of a car is meaningless when it comes to decisions like this being made by the staff.

The_Guy said:

First - you spent $200...by your choice, no one forced you. Now, you spent that $200 for entertainment...as nothing in this game is a tangible asset. It's all digital content, provided by Glu / Carbonated...and even though you spent the money, bought the crates with the gems, received the blueprints, collected the car, etc....none of it is yours. It is all the property of Glu / Carbonated. You paid for the ability to use items in the game....that equation hasn't changed. You can still use what you have, and what you rightfully paid for.

The cars do not have value. You can chose to spend money to obtain them, or you can use other means (watching videos, etc) to save up the gems to buy them. Spending money just makes it easier / faster, but again...it's not necessary.

The value of your real cash wasn't and hasn't been destroyed - you paid for entertainment (generally speaking), and you got it. End of transaction.

Not sure how everyone getting a free paintable version of the car affects you in the slightest. Everyone receiving one is not taking anything away from you. And before you say "well, now everyone has one, which means I won't ever be able to sell mine in an attempt to recoup anything I spent on it / them in the first place".....as the game says, trades / sales are not supported or recognized. So, in that aspect, the "value" of a car is meaningless when it comes to decisions like this being made by the staff.

If you "pay" money to Glu, you are supposed to get something that holds "value" in their game. Not a "worthless" thing.

Anyway, I am not here to argue with you.

Already in the process of filing chargeback of over $1500 I spent this month on gems. Attached a screenshot of this post. I will let American Express decide if I have been "cheated" by Glu like I feel or not.
    The_Guy said:

The_Guy said:

If you "pay" money to Glu, you are supposed to get something that holds "value" in their game. Not a "worthless" thing.

Anyway, I am not here to argue with you.

Already in the process of filing chargeback of over $1500 I spent this month on gems. Attached a screenshot of this post. I will let American Express decide if I have been "cheated" by Glu like I feel or not.
    Can you point me to the line in the terms and conditions of the game that says if you pay money to Glu, you get something that holds "value" in the game? If you want to look at it that way - you did receive something of value for your money. You received gems. You then spent the gems as you chose....but, to go with what you said - you spent money, and got something "valuable" in the game, as that item provided you access to other items.

Alas - if you feel you've somehow been cheated or ripped off, that is your opinion. I'm not here to tell you that you are right or wrong - I'm simply explaining how things "are". I hate to see anyone leave the game, but...if that is your choice, it is what it is.
  • C y r u sC y r u s Registered Users 293 Posts
    @Djjames ryyst explained why everyone is getting one and how it would be way too much work to go in and take away the ones that were handed out and how that would make a lot more people upset. You are all getting a free car as an apology.
    edited March 2017
    They could have just asked everyone who was supposed to get one and didn't get it to raise a ticket and given one to them by customer service because they deserved it.

Barely 200-300 players who had the issue.

Much better than ruining the value of a car for thousands of players who actually "paid" or "turfed" for it by awarding it to every random account down the road.

I bet those Indonesian cash farmers are super happy with each one getting 5000-6000 free cars in their 5000-6000 farm accounts.

This is exactly the way how paying customers like me leave.

Good luck Glu. I'm done with your game. Keep your account and your "free" ford re's

Gonna take my money back and leave.
  • Tavian660videoTavian660video Registered Users 7 Posts
    I just updated and I can't get into my game like it says update google play services then it kicks me our PLz fix