Options

Keyless Entry

MathiasMKIVMathiasMKIV Registered Users, Member 4 Posts
Hey there Meathead and DSA fam,
I know you've been getting a ton of feedback about this already, but you know what they say about opinions. :P

I literally cannot bring myself to give you guys money for event keys.  I can't. I'd like to give you money (for other stuff), but it just doesn't make any sense.  Here's why.  Unlike the Scar event where players had a way to farm Aladdin and Jasmine, the only way for (most) players to have Woody and Jessie is from this current event.  Since I'd need to get Buzz, Woody, and Jessie to 5-stars to get far enough to unlock Bo-Peep, I'd have to be a passholder, as well as purchase the $5, $10, and $20 offers for each character. Probably the $20 team offer as well.  So far, so good. I think each of those offers is fairly priced and valuable.  I've bought pretty darn near every single one that pops up, and would like to continue to do so. 

But assuming I do, I would still need a total of 240 keys (and 2 other heroes at 5-star) in order to access the event?  Why?  Assuming a player spends enough gems each day on energy refreshes until they become cost inefficient, the key droprate is still unreliable enough to only get a SPENDING player 70-85% the way there. I know this is where the frustration marketing of panic farming is supposed to kick in.  I've already spent so much time, energy, and money on this event, I have to get those last few keys, right?

No, not at all.  Because even if I did, I end up with a 5-star Toy Story Team (assuming I went buckwild to get Zurg last event. I did.)  What can a 5-star Toy Story team accomplish?  Nothing, really. Can't complete Tower of Endurance, won't get you too high up in Sorcerer's Tournament or PvP.  If you're a new player on a fresh Tournament shard it may boost your rank, but without a way to farm those characters after this event it won't help you for long. The only thing I really get is a mid-powered Club Conquest defense team? That I don't get to play as? Without Bo-Peep, the team is lackluster and not worth any investment. 

The most important part is probably this: As a beta player, this is THE FIRST THING I'm going to tell any/all new players at launch.  We all are.  The streamers and YouTubers that create content for this game are going to make a point of it for sure.  I'd go back to a channel of someone that saved me money, wouldn't you?  I know you guys need to make a profit, I know you need a fresh influx of cash for launch, but I've never bought a car and had to buy the key separately.  I've never bought a house and had to buy the key separately. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever bought anything, and had to buy the key separately, except for a spare key.  Ultimately, I don't think that money-now philosophy is worth having your player base hate you forever. A lot of us are coming from games that started to feel oppressive and predatory, and we left.

I'm done complaining, so let's start the solution-making.  I understand the value of having dollar-value offers as opposed to gem offers for events, but that doesn't make them mutually exclusive.  I'd have bought a Buzz gem offer leading up to the event to get him to 5-star.  I'd buy a gem offer to get him past that now, for no reason! Depleting my gems this event just means I'll have to buy more, or do more TapJoy offers (The reasonable ones are finite, whether or not you decide to keep that feature at launch) I'd buy a Woody and Jessie gem offer, and to prevent them from devaluing your cash offers, who says you can't put a lid on that?!  One gem offer a day per character, etc.  If I'm getting something cool for my gems, I'm TELLING you i'm gonna buy more. Scout's honor. 

I know this is lengthy and has turned into some weird manifesto, but your team is SO CLOSE to doing this type of game better than anybody else.  You have the right idea, you have the IP, and most importantly you have the potential to make boatloads of money without resorting to lazy cash-cow tactics.

Be Well,
Mathias, Mk IV