Power Scaling Fix

ssogre2000ssogre2000 Registered Users, Member 1 Posts
I'm going to try and be as constructive as possible here. I know a large part of the DSA community agrees with my sentiment especially those that can't/won't spend tons of money.

Today I had a PVP Arena match. My team consisted of Shan Yu, Aladdin, Sorcerer Mickey, Big Bad Wolf, and Dr. Facilier. Every character is either 6 or 7 stars, level 50 - 52, and Gear Tier 5 or 6. Also, each member of the team had one Chipped Sorcerer's Stone of one variety or the other equipped. My spells were level 3 Golden Hammer and level 1 Conjuring Cauldron. With all that my team's Deck Power is ~ 2900. 

My opponent was a full Frozen team. Their team power was ~ 2100. I think their team level was 46-48. Not all 7 stars (I think Elsa and one or two others were 6). Gear Tier 5. In all honesty, this shouldn't even happen given the high difference in power level. However, the queuing system for PVP Arena is a whole separate issue and this post is already long enough.

Going into the match, I felt confident because of my Deck Power advantage. With a different of 800, most players would feel confident because this is how the Deck Power system is designed to work. More on this below.

As you can probably guess, I lost. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be posting this right now. Not only did I lose, I was only able to take out Kristoff and Sven.  

Now normally, if I were to go against any other team with that low of a Deck Power compared to mine, there would be no contest. I would completely destroy them. Even an Incredible's team would be no match. There was an 800 power difference and I lost and quite miserably I might add. Even IF I would have taken out all but ONE character (in other words be more neck and neck) and still lost, that is still inexcusable. This is also a problem in Sorcerer's Tournament. If I were to try go up against a Frozen team that was +/- 200-300 power, my chances of winning are very slim which is a huge misconception for the players.

Deck Power is supposed show the power of your opponent. If I see an opponent that is 500+ power higher than me, then I should know going into a match I will most likely lose. If these numbers aren't true indicators of team power, then they are completely arbitrary and not needed. However, they aren't arbitrary. Removing a full/mostly full Frozen team out of the equation, these number work as intended. 

Now, I understand that the majority of players that have a full 6 or 7 start Frozen team have spent a considerable about of money OR were able to grind VERY efficiently during the event. I agree that if someone spends money then yes, they should be given some sort of advantage. I know as a customer, I would question a company's motives if I purchased something that others didn't and wasn't given a slight advantage. With that being said, the above scenario, isn't a slight advantage. 

How do you fix this? Three ways that I can think of. 

1. Adjust the power scaling - If your team is synergized, like a full Frozen team, then there should be some sort of multiplier for Deck Power. If there was a multiplier the deck power should go up considerably. Take Violet from the Incredible's team, plugged into a random team, her ability kit lacks quite a bit. However, you put her into a full or mostly full Incredible's team and she is much better. In that case the whole team's Deck Power should be adjusted accordingly. Doing this isn't really fixing the main problem though. I do think combining 1 and 3 would help the most.

2. Separate servers for how much you spend - This is more a fantasy than anything, but, if you are Free to Play then you should be playing against others that are free to play. Much more balanced that way. Obviously, don't force this on players. Make it choice that can be changed every so often. And if you try to be slick and think oh I'll be Free to Play and spend money, well those offers aren't available to purchase. You would have to make a conscience decision to change over to a paid server. You can even have the offers available to see for the free to play server to see so it entices them to maybe change servers so they will actually spend money. Like I said, realistically I know this would never happen, but, I wanted to make it a suggestion regardless. 

3. Adjust the power of the Frozen Team - Now it doesn't even have to be done a whole lot. Just enough to where that gap shrinks just a bit. The Frozen team was designed to be the best right now and they still would be, but, it will give others that are Free to Play or mostly a bit more of a fighting chance.

I know Glu is in the business of making games and money. I wouldn't question that. Glu is going to make money REGARDLESS of how over powered Frozen characters are because frankly, Frozen is by far one of the most popular Disney franchises right now. 

Others that read this, please don't think I'm ranting for the sake of ranting or that I'm angry. Both of which I'm not. I want some true change here. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. I really enjoy this game. I've even spent money because I enjoy it. Not a lot mind you, but, enough to where I felt satisfied. When situation like the above happen however, it really makes me not enjoy the game. 

If you agree, I encourage you to write your own constructive criticism to Glu. Change cannot happen if we the players don't speak up and it must be a majority of us that speak up.

Comments

• DrasnianspyDrasnianspy Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    I absolutely agree. I spent more money than I should have completing the incredible team. Never was able to beat similar power "best available" mixed teams, especially if they had a golden hammer which i was behind on unlocking, and so never made it to bukber 1 in the sorcerors tournament. And with the same team I'm now severely struggling against 4/5 frozen teams with significantly less power. If I'd spent my money on the frozen release rather than incredible I'd be consistently top 5, instead I'm a fan of incredibles and spent my extra money on them to no benefit in game. No "expected advantage" as one might think a few bills would net them
  • Donch819Donch819 Registered Users, Member 21 Posts
    edited June 2020
    You’re absolutely right and the admins absolutely don’t care.  So long as dummies continue to shell out bucks for an “insta-team”.  I pay for Passholder only since, to me, the point of playing is unlocking and building the team.  Never have, and never will, understand why anyone would pay the silly sums to buy a pre-packaged team to trot out there.  I guess to destroy everyone and everything in its path in the broken PvP?  Then the next team comes out and obsoletes the one before it....and they shell out again...?...IDK....so, I take my beating in PvP, because I must, to complete the daily tasks and continue building my team in the only way that makes any sense to me whatsoever.  So y’all keep paying for the next hot toon/team and I’ll wave as I stroll through the arena everyday so they can feel good about the money they spent.
  • XMAXMA Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    Could not agree more, Frozen team is the most powerful one in terms of they generally can beat any other non-frozen team with excess power even up to 1000. A team of level 55+, all gear tier 6, 7 stars can easily get blowed out of water by the frozen team at level 48 to 50, gear tier 5. I don't think the developer would fix the balance issue. As they nerfed all the spells that could counter the frozen(fowl play and mortal portion...) and leave the essential spell for frozen (golden hammer) untouched. The synergy between Anna and Kristoff is just ridiculously strong. Lots of characters' special abilities are to impose some harmful effects on your opponents and it is too easy for the frozen team to get rid of those and become immune. They are just at a whole different level comparing to other synergies for characters from the same movie. It is very disappointing that they made so imbalanced team just for temporary profits. 
  • jkpolkjkpolk Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    Glad to see others with the same experience.  The Frozen team can be beaten with the right combination of characters but unfortunately, that means turning around and investing in farming a bunch of different characters (genie, jafar/jack Sparrow).  I just hope they nerf the Frozen team a little bit to slow them down.  It's impossible to compete once they start ramping up and Kristoff is in taunt mode.
  • FirefcFirefc Registered Users, Member 1 Posts
    Totally agree, please admins do something about frozen team and I guess it's a good ides, create a pay to win server, so they can fight al together. 
  • okeefechrisokeefechris Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    This is the greatest post ever, which will largely be unheard.  Frozen is their Jesus, they will never be nerfed or touched, they will always be meta.  The only option that GLU is going to give you is a counter team in Lilo and Stitch characters(direct counter to frozen), the fun part of this is that it will strictly be a Frozen counter team and may in fact lose to other teams such as Kingdom.  The other super fun part of the counter team is it will be behind a large pay wall just like Frozen.  So do you pay for Frozen or do you pay for Lilo and Stitch characters?  Either way if you are f2p, you lose every time on this.

I love this game but its so early still in development and they are royally screwing up, the way CG does 5+ years into SWGOH(Except that new vader rework, god that was sweet).

Thank you for the insightful post though, just reading it made me feel better about consistently losing to a 2100 frozen team with my 3400 shan yu kingdom team.