Options

The way speed works in the game

powerlinepowerline Registered Users, Member 34 Posts
I’ve been a player for the game for about a month now and one thing I would have to say needs an update is speed. The higher a speed stat is, the quicker that character is able to attack. Although it makes sense to have this that way in a sense, it tends to make the game feel un balanced.

There have been several pvp games that I have had an opponent running characters that will boost their own speed come down to only a few characters and the speed be the only thing that determines the fight. I feel this is completely unbalanced because it doesn’t give me the chance to fight against the few characters on the board.

I think an easy fix would be to have the system not allow you to attack twice (whether it be attacks beside each other or in a turn of attacks). This would allow characters with higher speed attacks to attack first but not allow them to attack again until all other characters have attacked.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope this criticism is taken seriously.

Comments

• Options
    AzuluheendAzuluheend Registered Users, Member 4 Posts
    Although I generally agree with what your saying here I think a better improvement would be to the attack and defense values of characters. Having faster characters deal less damage would mitigate the fact that they get additional attacks. At the same time if slower characters have increased attack or defense to compensate for the fact that they may only get one or two attacks in a round before faster enemies/teammates can finish the match would make them a more worthwhile pick.

At the same time Haste and Slow as buff/debuff is a legitimate interesting strategy and doing a universal nerf that says no character can have a turn after taking a turn would severely hamper most buff/debuff teams. At the same time it would also make speed effectively a useless stat to include on a characters sheet as unit turn rotation would become more rigid, and since speed at the beginning of a match seems random at best it would become frustrating for the majority of players if there was no way to potential adjust speed and turn order through their actions and planning.

What I have noticed, and why I agree that changes to speed need to happen or perhaps how beginning of match speed needs to adjusted. As I have seen the average match favors the person who goes first, this allows them to lay down their buffs/debuffs and can decide the flow of combat without the other person being able to make up for the lost ground. At the same time when doing the PvP Arena the person with lower deck power seems to go first most of the time. The problem with doing something like this is because at no point does it feel fair to the player who goes second especially if two teams are basically identical why wouldn't one big bad wolf go after the other, instead of the current situation where there can be almost an entire team between identical characters actions.

This isn't fully related to speed but I feel fits into the conversation as speed directly relates to the theoretical action pool and there is a huge red flag currently affecting end game pvp action pools that creates an unfair environment in it's current state. 

The spell Bucket O' Soldiers has probably the highest utility in the entire game. Since it gets it's own turn it is effectively a character. It has high health/defense/offense and can double a teams effective action pool since it can assist on all other teammates turns. If it didn't deal equivalent to a normal offense characters damage it would just be an offensive buff to the teams over all damage. But since it does deal an offensive characters worth of damage it can completely lock out certain debuffs and actions until the unit is either cc'd or destroyed. On top of that because it's capable to give all members of a team what amounts to an offensive characters damage its making it possible to give heavy support or heavy tank teams more viability than what should be intended.

To put that spell into perspective each time a soldier deals damage at my current level of 35 it deals 750 damage before mitigation. Trigger's Tower which is in a similar situation because he adds a character to the turn table and has a health pool and defense pool that you have to deal with to stop the effect, at player level 35 deals ~107 damage three times. Trigger though only gets one attack normally, he does get his speed filled when he downs an enemy but every attack he does allows for a speed tick on everyone's speed bar. Where as the soldier doesn't affect the overall speed of anyone and gives a free 750 bonus damage potential to every characters attack.

This spell needs an adjustment to say the least.
  • Options
    powerlinepowerline Registered Users, Member 34 Posts
    I think lowering attack of faster characters is a reasonable fix. I still don’t believe a character should be attacking as quickly as I’ve seen certain Aladdins attack (attack, another character attacks, and he attacks again). Regardless what they do they need to do something to balance the system.

As for the bucket of soldiers spell, someone involved in the development has already mentioned they’re working on a nerf to it.
  • Options
    IcehandIcehand Registered Users, Member 8 Posts
    I honestly don't think anything needs to be done to speed.  It's a tactic in the game.  I think a lot of these issues will be fleshed out further into end game especially when sorcerer's tokens are released and every character stops being exactly the same for every player.  It puts the fix in our hands to a degree.  If you want to use a slow character for a reason, well add gear to increase speed to balance him against fast players, etc...
  • Options
    CTRatCTRat Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
    edited May 2020

Icehand said:
    I honestly don't think anything needs to be done to speed.  It's a tactic in the game.  I think a lot of these issues will be fleshed out further into end game especially when sorcerer's tokens are released and every character stops being exactly the same for every player.  It puts the fix in our hands to a degree.  If you want to use a slow character for a reason, well add gear to increase speed to balance him against fast players, etc...

As much as I agree that probably careful stat tweaks are better than a sweeping change to speed as a mechanic, I don't think sorcerers' stones will be a good remedy for this. If speed remains the most important stat to invest in, then you could use them to help your slow characters with a speed bonus... but then everyone will also just help their fast characters with even more speed bonuses, so it doesn't really help. The characters already have a strong advantage built-in, so anything you can do to catch up, they can do as well to stay ahead. (Which is sort of why I dread sorcerers' stones being released... because I somewhat expect them to become another way that a firm "meta" is established where there is mainly one viable strategy to use for them, which to say the least, doesn't feel good).
  • Options
    AzuluheendAzuluheend Registered Users, Member 4 Posts
    As a min/maxer at heart I like the idea of the sorcerer stones more than what they are looking like. Currently from what I've seen in individual character stats they have more or less every offense character have a default of 100 speed, defense have 90, and support have 80. These aren't hard defaults as there are exceptions in each category. But since it seems like speed is run on a tick based system with each tick being a characters turn the sorcerer stones will ultimately only be used on speed, this will also dis proportionally affect already outlier characters such as Dash with the highest speed as well as the ability to gain even more speed through the match. But also further lock the Shan Yu/3 Kingdom characters/ +1 extra as the meta since it will be the easiest way to achieve the fastest team. This is because once the whole team has been spec'd for a full speed build the 8% bonus will have a greater effect (unless it's only effecting base speed and then cumulative with the sorcerer stone bonus).

There also isn't a good way to challenge this meta because two identical teams will ultimately come down to initial luck on who goes first, or since a team that doesn't have this sort of line up is almost guaranteed to go second or only have one character in the middle of the enemies first turns. Since the game is largely resolved in the first 5-7 turns the team that has more turns in that initial series is more likely to win. Couple that with most teams having enough burst to kill 1 to 2 enemies within the first 3 turns and your looking at a deficit because you happened to either be unlucky or not run the meta.

This will only get worse if nothing is really changed, for the most part every character's offense and defense is universal as well and that's where the majority of the trouble is happening, Dash with his crazy ability to take more turns than any other character has the same amount of offense as every other offense character, as far as the content I have seen. As far as an individual slot he has probably the highest damage output.

Currently the majority of characters have fairly the same stat blocks with some variety which is causing the current meta. If they took a brush and made each character a little more unique in their stat blocks it would cause people to actually look at the over all stat block of a character as well as their ability's synergy instead of going for a team of the characters with the highest speed stat.