Options

Slugfest.

ZaneJ78ZaneJ78 Registered Users, Member 369 Posts

Cycled last night for the 1st time ever with this line-up. Felt pretty good.

Need more Living Legends!
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Solid achievement without a 5 star...Props, buddy.  
  • Options
    Solid achievement without a 5 star...Props, buddy.  

Thanks man. I had to manually play all of level 5 but I got it done.
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Nice job. Manually playing rounds is tough. Really easy to lose focus and with that squad you have to be damn near perfect in later rounds.
  • Options
    JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Sometimes the rounds are stacked against you so it’s not always an easy task to beat the last few rounds.  I always feel hyped up when I cycle slugfest.  I’ve had some rounds where I went homer for homer on every pitch against the opponent and lost by 10 still lol sweet revenge always feels great when you cycle!
  • Options
    newfynewfy Registered Users, Member 416 Posts
    I tried hard at slugfest yesterday but just couldn’t seem to get it done. 5.7 was capped 5* guy 135 strength. Just seem to come up short every time.  
  • Options
    newfy said:
    I tried hard at slugfest yesterday but just couldn’t seem to get it done. 5.7 was capped 5* guy 135 strength. Just seem to come up short every time.  

Do anyone have tricks they use for this event?  Do you match lefty or righty’s?    My 134 Shaw just wouldn’t beat the 135 guy. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Was your issue going 10/10 or was it distance? Those guys should cycle easy. Also, what's your legend status? Capped?
  • Options
    ReclinerRecliner Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    You shouldn’t have any problem with that lineup. I only brought my top 4 sluggers to silver 10 and had no issue at all. Maybe your timing is off? 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Also you cant miss either in the later rounds. Have to be 10 for 10 and have good distance.
  • Options
    Was your issue going 10/10 or was it distance? Those guys should cycle easy. Also, what's your legend status? Capped?
    I’d say my timing was biggest issue (not getting 10/10) but a couple times I did and was just short on points.  The pitches are changing speed extremely and sometimes a lag outta pitchers hand.   It was messing with my timing a lot which was half my frustration.  But I thought maybe I’m just not strong enough with 4.5 star guys against the capped 5* guy. 
  • Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    If having the best players was all it took, the Dodgers would win the WS every year! Problems arise when the game is taken from paper onto the field...
  • Options
    HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @newfy unlike WOH matching left/righty and vice versa does not matter here. Just start each round with the 10th weakest slugger (9th if your legend is capped) and go up the list. All about timing it right for hits and getting better distance than the opponent in the later rounds.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Options
    @Houmy are you beating high max guys with ease ?   Or equal guys ?  
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    newfy said:
    I’d say my timing was biggest issue (not getting 10/10) but a couple times I did and was just short on points.  The pitches are changing speed extremely and sometimes a lag outta pitchers hand.   It was messing with my timing a lot which was half my frustration.  But I thought maybe I’m just not strong enough with 4.5 star guys against the capped 5* guy. 
    Timing is the key. With Trout and my legend, I can get 405-415 ft homers towards center most of the time but they're the only one's (at silver). Pulled to left or right those will go out if fair from all your hitters. With pitches what helps me is to ALWAYS expect the fast pitch, usually it comes at very beginning or first bonus ball pitch in my experience. The slow slow stuff is easier to adjust but if you get that pitch DO NOT forget about the fast one that's to come!

Lighting is key as well if you're using the downloaded field without blue monster. Lane from mound is darker and can mess with you if autobrightness kicks in at lower light. I have trouble cycling in evening when this happens. Last night in fact I had to go stand under an overhead light and cycled one final time.

Sf batting is totally different to me than any other batting format. You are rewarded for swinging slightly early with the big distance bombs whereas CvC, WoH etc require the pitch to get much deeper before swinging to get that gap power to put it in the alley's or over the wall. Clash...I have not figured out myself yet. Or it's broke :|

Homerun battles are your friend. Spend some time getting that cash and you'll be good for next week!
  • Options
    I think the hardest part is the change from woh approach (hitting the other way/against the shift) and then slugfest you gotta pull everything.  I find myself forgetting when to swing sometimes which leads to a loss. Start over and do it right this time.  Lol.   
  • Options
    @newfy below is what I am working with and I can easily autoplay all the way through 5.6 and then play manually. There are occasional loses on 4.6+ which makes me restart the level from round one as it only takes about 5 minutes per level for the 1st 4 and about 7-9 minutes for level 5 and sometimes I go through the whole thing without a restart. I also usually only do a 20 gold boost on 5.10 if I can't get it done the 1st time and have to use my video restart.

Now this may go against popular opinion and some may disagree but I've seen a lot of posts about pulling the ball, trying to go opposite or a certain spot to get more distance but for me that never mattered and I only try to get the timing right and get it across the wall. I think my derby record speaks for itself when I say that none of that, other than timing, really matters and you shouldn't really overthink it. Hope this was helpful.

• Options
    @Houmy I agree, getting timing down and it all falls into place. Won't matter where you hit when you're consistent.
  • Options
    @Houmy thanks and as I thought I do need at least 2 more 5* guys as I only have 1 and my legend.  As of now it just seems to difficult to beat and that’s not good enough if I wanna use this as a source of resources. I need to reach your times/difficulty to make this worth while 
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Really? For me, it literally never is a homerun unless I pull the ball. 

Center or opposite field, I'm hitting the wall or the warning track 100 percent of the time.
  • Options
    @JEDDDOGGY I just meant when the timing is down you will be hitting it center to pulled field anyway though I have hit slightly oppo with Trout before over 500ft. I also can miss with Trout and my legend and get it over the wall to center or oppo at about 412-415 feet (S10). Usually has to be fast to that really quick pitch.
  • Options
    @dustyhunks you'll be able to get more of them over the centerfield wall once you go gold & beyond. Pretty hard, near impossible, in silver or bronze.

• Options
    harperphils34harperphils34 Registered Users, Member 9 Posts
    If I cycle Slugfest next Wednesday, it will make 52 consecutive weeks. I don't know if I should throw myself a little party or not. 

@Houmy is correct. In bronze, it's almost impossible to hit a home run without pulling the ball. At the moment without any prime or legend sluggers, the best sluggers might occasionally hit a rocket over the centerfield wall, but never to the opposite field. I've hit maybe 2-3 that weren't pulled. 

The pattern seems to be the same as last year when facing opponents with higher slugger ratings. You have to hit the ball to the power alley with perfect timing. If you pull it down the line for a short homer against 5.7-5.10, you'll probably watch the opponent hit monsters for the rest of the round. If you're the first one to shank one, you'll probably lose that one. But, if you can hit the first 5-6 to the power alley (over 450 ft), the computer opponent will usually miss one giving you an opening to win. 

The first time through for me every week, I usually blow through Level 4 without too much problem. I autoplay the first 7 rounds on Levels 1-3 without a loss generally. Then, I manually play 8,9, and 10 to save Gold for later. On Level 4, sometimes I can do the same pattern, but I lose on 4.6 or 4.7 with autoplay. When that happens, I just start over on the Level. You still get 40 batting gloves which help in recovering my Autoplay Cash. 

On Level 5, I can generally get through Round 5 on autoplay. If I lose, I just start over. If I keep losing to the same guy, I'll actually put the game down for a few minutes and do something else, then try again. Once I get through Round 5 on autoplay, I'll give Round 6 and 7 a shot on autoplay just to see if I can get lucky. If I don't I'll go back and play manually. 
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Nice post!  👍🏽 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I went Gold yesterday and haven't touched my sluggers... all still S10. It looks like they are expensive to level... it's 55k XP for each one to cap in Gold. But do they need to be capped? Seems you guys are winning with maybe 4 of them capped and that's it.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    I went Gold yesterday and haven't touched my sluggers... all still S10. It looks like they are expensive to level... it's 55k XP for each one to cap in Gold. But do they need to be capped? Seems you guys are winning with maybe 4 of them capped and that's it.
    If your legend is capped then just do the top 4 as the bottom 5 should be able to handle the 1st 5 sluggers in every round. Autoplay may be a bit harder in 5.1-5.5 for the 1st couple of weeks but as you get more sluggers and push the S10 guys down the list it should get easier again.

• Options
    @Houmy thanks, but eh.... my legend isn't capped because of the extreme cost of leveling him. Keepers are 5x the cost to level at Gold, and apparently the my legend is 10x the cost to level (235k xp as opposed to 25k xp). So maybe I cap 5 of them instead of 4 and it's not that big of a deal. That's still 275k xp that I don't have lol, so I'm going to be hurting for a while as far as SF is concerned.
  • Options
    roysmalleyroysmalley Registered Users, Member 26 Posts
    What does it mean to cycle?
  • Options
    Soo_Choo_TrainSoo_Choo_Train Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    It just means you beat all 5 levels and started over again.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    To finish all levels in Slugfest or WOH and win the top prize. Once you do you can start over again and go through all the levels to win the same prizes.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    @JEDDDOGGY just do the top 4 anyway and if need be then you can do one more instead of doing all 5 now. Remember that you'll also need to cap any new sluggers you get by cycling to have a better shot for the next event.