WoH is easier?

SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
I won't say necessarily that it's easier as I've been cycling since middle of 18.  With that said, I've seen numerous post from people celebrating their first cycle (what a feeling that first time 😊).  I wonder if classic will eventually become the "warm-up" and the typical don't try it mode becomes the "normal classic" woh.  I wouldn't be opposed to this if the rewards remained divided as is, but my guess is with the amount of people cycling "regular or Royale woh" a bump in difficulty is due to create another step of separation.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to hear what the community thinks will come next in the WoH saga?
Prev1

Comments

• sarge268sarge268 Registered Users, Member 80 Posts
    Today’s seemed easier than most. But then again the reward didn’t even make most teams. The Monday WOH event was fun this week. Even the classic took me Several attempts to finally cycle through. The DTI was a challenge and I still haven’t cycled that one. That’s my goal now. 
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I don’t know if I would say the event difficulty is easier, but I have found it easier to cycle this year and here is why. The players being for sale. 

This has allowed me to build up a solid group of hitters without the disappointment of chasing them through boxes. I’ve been able to pick and choose. 6-7 of my top hitters have been bought. That accelerated the first cycle for walk-off this year. 
  • SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
    @Bigpredfan that's a great point I forgot about.  But because of the sales and the players in those sales we have to assume we will be seeing that difficulty rise?  My only counter to that is they have a fan base that doesn't pay money.  I'd hate for the "warm-up" woh be the you don't spend enough money so this is your tier division, where classic is the casual guys who spend here and there for the few players or boxes and the DTI mode is gonna be obviously geared towards big time spending guys and girls who will unload it all and by the holiday be sitting near all-star level 19 .  
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    I don’t know if I would say the event difficulty is easier, but I have found it easier to cycle this year and here is why. The players being for sale. 

This has allowed me to build up a solid group of hitters without the disappointment of chasing them through boxes. I’ve been able to pick and choose. 6-7 of my top hitters have been bought. That accelerated the first cycle for walk-off this year. 
    I can speak to my success being that I have a strategy now. Glu loves the player that didn't know how to manipulate the game that I was in 18. Now that I've "figured some things out" it is turning the screws. Maybe it's always been this way but I think the nothing cycle-ers with infinite resources in 18 is a thing of the past. They had to have seen a decline in revenue at the end of the year when people would get an ATG in a box then cycled after cycle to tier the player up. Maybe it's just people throwing more money at the game so they're taking advantage but I would have to bet that revenue stream comes close to disappearing when the baseball season ends and a year isn't 10-11 months long so bank on early spends to offset the loss.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I certainly feel that buying players with cash and bringing keepers from 18 have made it easier. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be a great way to build up resources like it was in 18. Being forced to go gold before I was ready is harder but I have 5 hitters at gold 10 to work with. They all need their skills boosted but woh doesn’t seem to be a great way to do that now. I would rather spend gold to reuse a player than waste resources trying to level up more hitters. Also the reward player didn’t make my squad so why did I waste time and gold. Without woh I might quit tappin 
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

Yeah, but that means you spent $210 dollars on players who will be obsolete by next month.  This is what grinds my gears about the game -- not that you spend, of course, but that the game is so overly monetized now.  Oh well, it just is what it is. 
    Metsicans said:

Yeah, but that means you spent $210 dollars on players who will be obsolete by next month.  This is what grinds my gears about the game -- not that you spend, of course, but that the game is so overly monetized now.  Oh well, it just is what it is. 
    Yes, but the walk-off prizes I can win will eventually replace these players.  I made my path easier by getting them, so it will have its affect long after the month
    Metsicans said:

Yes, but the walk-off prizes I can win will eventually replace these players.  I made my path easier by getting them, so it will have its affect long after the month

Definitely true.  I bought Ted Williams on NYE last year (for my backup team), and he basically was the player who opened up walkoff for me late last year.  He transformed my lineup.  Still, that was late in the year, and there weren't THAT many player released after him with higher ratings and two relevant skills.  Buying 330 players is a little different. 
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    I'll just leave this here.....

Last season - I was diamond and cycled about 4 times total.
    This season - I'm at gold and have cycled multiple times, every week.

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited May 2019
    I was diamond last year and cycled however many times I wanted to. I'll never get to diamond this year though if they're going refuse to give us enough XP to level our players up, or give us Prime players and then make us essentially "buy" the PXP to level them up.

It's just silly that they finally make a Prime player available and then put a 300 gold box in the store that has a 34% chance of even getting PXP, let alone the piddly amounts in there. To get Prime Yelich to Gold 10 it takes 107k PXP, which you'd have to buy about 300 of those boxes to get. Which is 90,000 gold or about $900. 

Do they think we're all rich or something? There's some major disconnect between the people who are setting these amounts and (literally anyone) who's actually playing the game.
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    I'll just leave this here.....

Last season - I was diamond and cycled about 4 times total.
    This season - I'm at gold and have cycled multiple times, every week.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that because the event difficulty goes up with each level group? And wasn't Gold the easiest place to cycle from in 2018 (and the reason many people never left Gold)? So it isn't an indicator of the event being easier but that you're the right level for multi-cycling WOH, right?

In TSB18, I didn't start cycling until early March, because I leveled up too fast. Now, I've slowed things down a bit and am able to cycle about twice per event in Silver. It definitely doesn't feel easier. I just think more people have figured out what they need to do to cycle.
  • Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    My background: I cycled more than half the times I tried in 18, and have only just started actually trying to go and get the player again recently as I was usually just doing a few levels w bonus guys spaced to get more pts bc it’s soo time consuming and gets tedious I didn’t try cycling again until recently and got Albies with 240+240+40+40 gold and got kierboom with just 40 gold and I have to say it was a tad easier than I remember in the early stages but the final guys are still messed up and crazy unfair and stacked but it’s more accessible as they aren’t ridiculous or literally unbeatable as I’ve experienced before but honestly not worth the time. it’s good to do it maybe occasionally bc you can get a ton of rewards (I have 60 (useless) franchise, 90 bonus games and 100+ wraps and gatorades. But honestly not fun; however it’s all worth that euphoria I get from finally beating big boss when it happens.
  • Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    I’m Silver. I’m worried if I go to gold it will be too hard to cycle. In silver the WOH is hard but not unfair and it’s beatable with a few hundred gold if you have the time, and MORE gold if you can’t wait or don’t ha
    @JEDDDOGGY didn’t you start in the middle last year?  This is almost exactly how it started last year. The XP amounts grow as the year progresses. Prime XP and Legend XP will be almost non-existent at first. 

@dkarski87 mentioned the VIP Prime XP boxes last year. For those who were VIP, those boxes were huge. You were limited to buying 20 of them at a time.  It was 500 gold and it was laid out like this (or really close to this)
    7,000 prime XP- 10%
    4,000 prime XP- 20%
    2,500 prime XP- 30%
    2,000 prime XP- 40%. 
    edited May 2019
    @Bigpredfan I did start really late. Maybe August or September? I still don't like it, and will not support it based on pure precedence as doing that doesn't help us get any sort of improvements in this area imo.

And, if those VIP boxes were available, well I guess we'd all better spend $840 so we have access to those. Plus once we get access, then the 50 boxes @ 500 each to get you to 107k PXP (assuming those amounts are correct). So 25,000 gold ($250). Little cheaper but too rich for my blood for one player, no matter how long he lasts before he's dropped.

I haven't been around for a while like a lot of you guys, but can still see its becoming all about money to the point that the game's ecosystem / currency models are just downright broken. 

• SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @Bigpredfan I did start really late. Maybe August or September? I still don't like it, and will not support it based on pure precedence as doing that doesn't help us get any sort of improvements in this area imo.

And, if those VIP boxes were available, well I guess we'd all better spend $840 so we have access to those. Plus once we get access, then the 50 boxes @ 500 each to get you to 107k PXP (assuming those amounts are correct). So 25,000 gold ($250). Little cheaper but too rich for my blood for one player, no matter how long he lasts before he's dropped.

I haven't been around for a while like a lot of you guys, but can still see its becoming all about money to the point that the game's ecosystem / currency models are just downright broken. 

There's something to be said about the games monetary approach...they have turned buying players into a normal occurrence when it used to be for events (Black Friday & Christmas/NYE deals).  I know the xp will come in time so I suppose I'm not too worried about that, however I do feel in order to remain competitive in the long run may feel like a rat race of real cash for players vs gold.  Because so many players are for purchase perhaps cycling has become a bit more common.  I'm not a fan of having a new guy to buy in the store every few days but that's the route it's taken and because those guys are "accessible" they could justify increasing the difficulty which forces you to payup the big bucks to remain a daily cycler.  We shall see ! 🤙
  • BigHurtBigHurt Registered Users, Member 157 Posts
    SakaV2 said:
    JEDDDOGGY said:

There's something to be said about the games monetary approach...they have turned buying players into a normal occurrence when it used to be for events (Black Friday & Christmas/NYE deals).  I know the xp will come in time so I suppose I'm not too worried about that, however I do feel in order to remain competitive in the long run may feel like a rat race of real cash for players vs gold.  Because so many players are for purchase perhaps cycling has become a bit more common.  I'm not a fan of having a new guy to buy in the store every few days but that's the route it's taken and because those guys are "accessible" they could justify increasing the difficulty which forces you to payup the big bucks to remain a daily cycler.  We shall see ! 🤙
    I don't think the "new" players in the boxes being put in the store every few days is really about keeping up with WOH, in my opinion.

While the players in those boxes may help increase casual player's chances of cycling, I felt like once you accumulate enough relatively high-max players  with woh appropriate skills to the point you can cycle with regularity, you'll be able to continue to cycle basically as long as you don't seriously mess something up. The player max's seem to evolve slowly enough over time that you can still stay relevant, and cycle, and winning the player prizes in WOH help you remain relevant w/out chasing the daily "for points" players.  

Where it gets down right maddening to me is when GLU decides to ramp up the difficulty of the WOH event, and then those than can, and should cycle, cannot. 
  • ChiiChii Registered Users, Member 112 Posts

I can speak to my success being that I have a strategy now. Glu loves the player that didn't know how to manipulate the game that I was in 18. Now that I've "figured some things out" it is turning the screws. Maybe it's always been this way but I think the nothing cycle-ers with infinite resources in 18 is a thing of the past. They had to have seen a decline in revenue at the end of the year when people would get an ATG in a box then cycled after cycle to tier the player up. Maybe it's just people throwing more money at the game so they're taking advantage but I would have to bet that revenue stream comes close to disappearing when the baseball season ends and a year isn't 10-11 months long so bank on early spends to offset the loss.
    I have to agree that for me, a lot of it is a greater understanding of the game. I began last season in June and knew nothing. Leveled up to fast, (silver players and platinum team lol), and was all over the place. Couldn't win any event. Because I have a better understanding of the game, thanks mostly to you guys, I can win at everything. Also, frustration level is down so I'm more patient at the plate. That's just me, though.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    edited May 2019
    I think you have to keep in mind what we were seeing in until about September last year.  Even HOF is light years easier then what we were seeing on 5.10.   People were blowing thousands of gold and taking 20/30 tries just to clear this once.   We've gone from level 10 5 star specialty pitchers to 4/4.5 star level 1 pitchers and HOF is also at level 1.   Once things ramped up at the end of 18, Ford still was only level 6.   I'm just saying no matter how you look at things are night and day now. 

edited May 2019
    @Mattattack How would you compare the rewards for beating it then (I hadn't started playing yet then) to what we're getting now?

I can cycle as many times as I want, but it still doesn't seem like I'm getting enough of what I need to actually be able to play the game:

• I can't level up relievers, because I need to use XP for WOH guys & their skills
    • I can't level up my keeper pitcher, because it doesn't make sense when there are comparable guys who cost 1/5th of the XP.
    • I can't level up my legend because the XP cost is absurd.
    • I can't do squat with the Prime Yelich that I played my butt off to win because you can only "buy" PXP.
    • I can't build a slugger roster because they're also extremely cost prohibitive for what the SF rewards are.

The ecosystem and currency/resource models are completely broken. Even the most extreme amount of grinding will not get you enough XP to do all of the things in the game that you're supposed to be able to have fun doing, like building a serviceable bullpen, use all your keeper players & created legend, use good/great players that you acquire or play slugfest.
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @Mattattack How would you compare the rewards for beating it then (I hadn't started playing yet then) to what we're getting now?

I can cycle as many times as I want, but it still doesn't seem like I'm getting enough of what I need to actually be able to play the game:

• I can't level up relievers, because I need to use XP for WOH guys & their skills
    • I can't level up my keeper pitcher, because it doesn't make sense when there are comparable guys who cost 1/5th of the XP.
    • I can't level up my legend because the XP cost is absurd.
    • I can't do squat with the Prime Yelich that I played my butt off to win because you can only "buy" PXP.
    • I can't build a slugger roster because they're also extremely cost prohibitive for what the SF rewards are.

The ecosystem and currency/resource models are completely broken. Even the most extreme amount of grinding will not get you enough XP to do all of the things in the game that you're supposed to be able to have fun doing, like building a serviceable bullpen, use all your keeper players & created legend, use good/great players that you acquire or play slugfest.
    I cant remember the exact rewards for each level but I think they were roughly the same.  This is in large part was pre-Royale days where WOH was only on mondays.  They had one guy who was the guaranteed prize who for the most part was good enough to always been an upgrade on your current team.
    I cant remember the exact rewards for each level but I think they were roughly the same.  This is in large part was pre-Royale days where WOH was only on mondays.  They had one guy who was the guaranteed prize who for the most part was good enough to always been an upgrade on your current team.

Okay, yup. I came in right about when Royale started up. 

• dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    It was usually a prime in those times, 400- 430 range. It was a real grind to get 1 or 2 cycles in. But like others pointed out it was fun and challenging. Now its just too easy and repetitive and the rewards are awful.  HOF is the only tower event for those who really enjoy a challenging WOH and the rewards justify that. Im not a fan of the 50/50 split on the yelich boxes though. pulling cash 3/5 times. It should be additional PXP prize not cash for completing it, 25k cash is a slap in the face grinding the tower and getting cash for it.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    It was usually a prime in those times, 400- 430 range. It was a real grind to get 1 or 2 cycles in. But like others pointed out it was fun and challenging. Now its just too easy and repetitive and the rewards are awful.  HOF is the only tower event for those who really enjoy a challenging WOH and the rewards justify that. Im not a fan of the 50/50 split on the yelich boxes though. pulling cash 3/5 times. It should be additional PXP prize not cash for completing it, 25k cash is a slap in the face grinding the tower and getting cash for it.

Again, I think this is the voice of the "haves" and not the "have nots."  I don't find WOH easy, even on Royale day.  Maybe it's because I'm silver, maybe it's because on Royale day I refuse to spend gold for restarts.  But I consistently have problems at 3.6, 3.8, 4.6 and 4.10.  Sometimes even 3.4 (Banda).  It gets really frustrating at times.  My 60K silver team is not great, but it's probably in the top 50% of silver teams out there.  That means half the game must find WOH as hard or harder than I do. 

So it's to your credit that WOH is easy for you, but the majority of the game's players don't see it that way IMO. 

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY I know your post was addressed to @Mattattack, but I'd also like to chime in. These were the best rewards during the insane days where WoH wasn't guaranteed, regardless of how much time you put in: 

None of those guys, despite the effort required to acquire them, made much of an impact on my team. I never even leveled Yady(the big prize) while Scooter and Acuna were were limited to mop up duties on 5.5-5.6. 

Fast forward to '19's WoH.....

-Thor is level 1. Once you get there, you will beat him. It's just a matter of time. We also have a 15% live boost as opposed to just 5% last year. I believe I'm about 60-65% vs Thor this year. 

-Seager is an elite player for WoH. You may not remember, but that type of bat was never a reward until several months into the game.

-Yelich is head and shoulders better than everyone else that's been released in '19. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to level him. 

-Ozuna is a great CVC player and appears underappreciated by the community.

As far as resources, I focused primarily on WoH and I cycle quite a bit. I currently have an abundance of everything except pxp. Here's a sample of the approach that I took:

-I didn't take any bats beyond the bxp skill level unless they were a top 3 bat for me. I made minor exceptions, but I rarely went beyond level 4 on skills.
    -I quickly realized that WoH would yield considerably more resources than SF. Once I went gold, I completely ignored SF.
    -Initially, I didn't take any of my pitchers to gold. I focused exclusively on my bats. However, I made so much xp on the first day of WoH that I was able to cap my keeper pitcher and still have plenty of xp for new bats/pitchers. 
    -I didn't level guys for the sake of getting them to my tier. For example, I'm currently at over 1 Mill bxp and several of my pitchers are still silver. 
    -I preached keeper bats and the legend to every ear within shouting distance and it has absolutely paid off. They make WoH so easy and they're the reason I'm able to cycle with so little effort. 

Overall, I feel like they've made it really easy on us. Gifts(when you get them) are also considerably better this year. They also adjusted the duplicate pull value to give us even more access to bxp. It's my opinion that if you grind and properly allocate your resources, Bxp and cash are non issues. Pxp on the other hand.....😂

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • sarge268sarge268 Registered Users, Member 80 Posts
    @Metsicans I agree. I work hard to cycle through classic WOH on Monday’s and during the Royale. I usually only cycle through 1 time and it takes me most of the day. That’s why when i see people saying they cycled through numerous times and it was easy i just have to shrug and agree to disagree. I have a 65k silver team and with the reward this last Wednesday spending gold for boosts and restarts just wasn’t worth it. 
    Metsicans said:
    dkarski87 said:

Again, I think this is the voice of the "haves" and not the "have nots."  I don't find WOH easy, even on Royale day.  Maybe it's because I'm silver, maybe it's because on Royale day I refuse to spend gold for restarts.  But I consistently have problems at 3.6, 3.8, 4.6 and 4.10.  Sometimes even 3.4 (Banda).  It gets really frustrating at times.  My 60K silver team is not great, but it's probably in the top 50% of silver teams out there.  That means half the game must find WOH as hard or harder than I do. 

So it's to your credit that WOH is easy for you, but the majority of the game's players don't see it that way IMO. 

What I can say is those spots you are struggling on, I found annoying in silver as well.  I'll even add 4.5 and 5.7 into that mix.  I think thats mainly a silver thing because when I went gold those issues went away for the most part.   3.6 and 4.6 you can just use your best guy against righties, for me its either the legend or keeper Ichiro and then my best guy
    @DFBB Thanks for all of that! Not being around last year, I have nothing to compare things to. 

So it seems like people wanted to beat it "just because" or to score club points, I suppose? 

I definitely agree on the points you made re: Seager/Ozuna/Yelich.

Where I'm at right now is I am cycling Mon & Wed like crazy, but I still don't have enough XP to be able to do even close to what I'd like to. I want to play slugfest and literally can't, because I need to allocate my time to WOH instead. Forget that you need all that XP to level up sluggers, and to level up a new one every week. 

Agree on keeper bats. But what about my keeper pitcher? Makes zero sense to use any resources on him.

I know you guys love your My Legend, but I'm not doing it. I don't need him, and he isn't "cool" enough for me to dump the XP into him.

I'd love to maybe level up my bullpen guys... or my keeper pitcher... or my created legend... or my sluggers... or Yelich... or use some XP on a POTW guy. I can't reasonably do any of that if I want to save for Platinum/Diamond (which don't get me started on that).

A lot of us have a good amount of XP saved up, but we're in the vast minority here. The ecosystem sucks. It's not flawed, it's broken. Nobody (in their right mind, at least) is paying $100 for a mountain of gold so they can move a player from Gold 5 to Gold 8. 

So now WOH is less challenging. I don't necessarily think that's a win. Wednesdays are absolutely brutal just clicking buttons all day to get through as fast as I can. It's not fun. And they've also found more and more ways to make the rest of the game even more frustrating because we pretty can't do anything we want to do like play slugfest in Gold or move up to Platinum or play bonus games without worrying about being pushed into the next tier. I think most of us are missing out on a lot of really fun features of the game and it's not because we don't want to use/play them, it's because we literally can't.

• SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    I simply disagree with most of the positives being posted about 19, not all, but most. I’ve never really been a rose coloured glasses kinda guy about the game, but have enjoyed playing it over the last 3-4 seasons despite the incredible, mind boggling, nonsense that goes on with app glitches, staff mistakes, often insulting customer service, and manipulated outcomes through RNG. I’m addicted to the general concept/format they created but if another company came out with a similar design but actually ran it professionally, I’d be gone in a heartbeat. As it is I’ve scaled back, our club has scaled back...we keep showing up as much for the banter and comradery as we do hoping that a miracle has happened and the game would somehow be drastically improved (however we individually define improvement). I’ve had some satisfaction from slug this season, mostly because I made a decision not to get left behind like I did in 18, and I assume the rewards will become useful at some point down the road...as it is now, I cycle to get the slugger and then slow play to help with club points. Woh Classic works for me as they’ve made the difficulty about right and the player reward has been a decent upgrade so far, but Royale WoH, is more challenging with a less than desirable player reward. In both cases, once I’ve cycled, I slow play for the club. I’ll probably get on board with HOF at some point, but right now I just don’t have the interest to grind it out. Weekends are about cvc and maybe t6 if we pull some bonus guys. I’m probably a little burnt out and I’m probably not as fanatical a gamer as many, but I do spend way too much time involved with this game, and my expectations are often not being met. Even opening the boxes for shiny new players has lost its fun because of crap results and the fact that better ones will be out next week... so basically I’m on a go slow and am relaxed about it all. 
    It's all done with mirrors
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    The Neris/Diaz days were a dark time in WoH watching slider after slider whizz across even with hitters that were capable of beating him.  Even HoF which is somewhat rough for my team is much more accessible than that was.  Without dumping lots of cash this type of game is always going to be about either being very efficient or just focusing on a game mode or two and being the best as possible at those. All of my players are in Gold other than my keeper pitcher who is my 5th starter right now.  Since he’s only a true 526 I’m in no hurry to level him.  My bullpen has one capped player and while ERAs are all bloated I’m still at about an 80% win rate with 3100 wins.  If you don’t want/need the legend the exp needed for him would level 5 sluggers from S10 to G10 though for almost everyone he would be their top slugger in addition to their 1st/2nd bat in WoH (I traded in Mantle/Mays in ‘18 but never pulled them again then I went diamond and didn’t care). I’ll probably just leave my sluggers where they are unless I can finish my legend quickly as WoH is where I focus my energy while I decide when I’ll go up to diamond again (waiting to see if there will be decent blue exp players like there were last season and even then didn’t do diamond till after NYD).