Adding in a Defense Factor to each player

bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
Was just thinking outside the box again the other day - and thought it would be cool - if GLU added a defensive factor and arm rating for each player. The ratings could easily interact/modify the various defensive team upgrades we pay for (catchers arm, infield hands, outfield hands, etc).
There would obviously be great defensive players and crappy ones.
It would be another factor that we could use to separate/differentiate all of these players that we have on our roster.
And if your roster is made up of all big hitters that can't field a lick - your team should/would be penalized with more errors or poorer defensive metrics.
Anyways - just another random idea/thought.......

Comments

• midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    @bobdylan_fan
    You can make your defense better by leveling up the defensive upgrades.  Not most people's first priority but if you love defense, have at it!
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    I wonder if speed has any impact in that regard. 

I don't have access to enough data to say one way or the other, but considering the abnormally high ERC differential (ERC - ERA) most closers I've had and seen from others have, the real world conclusion is players mail in their defense after six or so innings. It's probably an in-game mechanic that slants an advantage to offense later in the game, or even the team that's behind (assuming most teams are winning 70+ percent of their games on autoplay), but there's a massive difference in the relievers' deeper stats compared to the starters, and some of the numbers kept in the game suggest defense is horrible. 

So I'd be in favor of some kind of defensive boost, but maybe more of a team attribute. Catchers and outfielders throwing out base runners isn't exactly a huge factor in team defense. On the other hand, no one watches a 3-2 baseball game in reality, highly unlikely they're gonna play a mobile game if that works as the common outcome. 
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited June 2019
    There is no logic behind defense even with upgrades maxed when it is your time to lose. All the games I lose to significantly less strength teams (I'm talking 20-30k less as I never seem to play anyone over 55k TS), whether they are silver or gold, my team has multiple errors. It makes no difference whatsoever at least on the surface of things.
  • midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    Cooz19 said:

I don't have access to enough data to say one way or the other, but considering the abnormally high ERC differential (ERC - ERA) most closers I've had and seen from others have, the real world conclusion is players mail in their defense after six or so innings. It's probably an in-game mechanic that slants an advantage to offense later in the game, or even the team that's behind (assuming most teams are winning 70+ percent of their games on autoplay), but there's a massive difference in the relievers' deeper stats compared to the starters, and some of the numbers kept in the game suggest defense is horrible. 

@Cooz19
    I don't think I'm smart enough to play this game.  
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited June 2019
    Cooz19 said:
    I wonder if speed has any impact in that regard. 

So I'd be in favor of some kind of defensive boost, but maybe more of a team attribute. Catchers and outfielders throwing out base runners isn't exactly a huge factor in team defense. On the other hand, no one watches a 3-2 baseball game in reality, highly unlikely they're gonna play a mobile game if that works as the common outcome. 
    In a quick look at the differential what stands out most is that those pitchers, starters and SR, that have smaller neg value have skills against LHB's. Hot Start Castillo though only a 320 max and RHB/Prime skills is performing miles better than the 330 max Sale (LHB/Late) from last weekend. Yates PoTM w/RHB skill is significantly better with larger diff vs April Best Vazquez (LHB). Not sure what this means other than there are more RHB players on teams than LHB maybe? DIPS and BABIP is much closer to normal  better for the RHB skilled pitchers with Dock Ellis being my best overall with double RHB.
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Cooz19 said:

@Cooz19
    I don't think I'm smart enough to play this game.  
    HA! Believe me, it's not intelligence. It's just knowing what the stats they're tracking mean. ERC (Component ERA) is an estimation of what a pitcher's ERA would be if it measured hits, walks, basically bases given up. It's a way to evaluate a pitcher based on the runners he's putting on base. 

If a closer gave up three hits an inning but never allowed any of them to score, his ERA would be 0 but he'd have a large ERC. A negative difference between a pitcher's ERC and ERA suggests his performance is better than his ERA suggests. A full run difference between those stats is tied very closely with a poor defensive team. 

Since that doesn't exist as sharply with the starters I've seen in his game, but exists for nearly every closer I've seen, the stats indicate our teams stop trying on defense after the starter leaves the game. 

Obviously I'm not being literal, the point is there's a massive drop-off in the effectiveness of starters compared to relievers that seems to go beyond attributes. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Seems like adding a defense factor means allocating more resources to that.   So ill pass in that case.   I have my defensive upgrades at 40/100 and hope i dont need to make them any higher. 
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Good pitching = Good defense.