Videos Demographic ?

COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
One guy in our club has been without any videos since the episode two weekends ago. Says getting zero help from  Glu. Blaming it on the advertisers and now saying the video advertisers have stopped providing videos for his demographic. Exactly what in the heck does that mean ? He does not live at the South Pole. He is Android user. 

Comments

• bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    Its just another GLU / CS lame ass excuse. Also known as a lie.

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Has he reset his advertising ID? Not sure what it's called for iPhone, but if he has an Android have him go to setting- google- ads- reset advertising ID. I asked CS about this to make sure it's ok, and was told it's all good to do this as often as needed. Works for me 👍🏻
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    Has tried the settings. Nothing works. That’s what makes me suspicious of their “explanation” and terminal diagnosis. 
  • BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    @retirepujols I just asked the CS guy if resetting ad id will flag your account, and he said yes. Obviously CS makes up responses, but I was banned last year for doing this exact thing. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
  • woohoo77woohoo77 Registered Users, Member 300 Posts
    I reset my advertising id a couple times last year with no issues.  I haven't done any tapjoy offers though, just watch videos.
    I've been doing it since 16 with no issues since I don’t do offers. On the other hand, I don’t abuse it to rack up tons of gold either. 

Sorry you got pinched Black Fang. They obviously don’t like the practice but won’t go so far as to actually ban it. I’m going with moderation is the key and hoping for the best. 

"It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    edited June 2019
    @BlackFang4 my CS response was that it's okay 🤷🏻‍♂️ so I'm going to keep doing it, and if anything weird happens to my account I'll show them the screenshot where I asked for permission like a little kid 🤣
    This has strayed a bit from the original topic as advertiser ID reset had no effect for my club mate. He has verified that videos still work fine in TSB18 so I’m thinking this advertiser explanation is a pile. Sure hope the new version comes out soon and remedies the issue as we lost another Android user at the beginning of the year when Glu could not get his Keepers to work. 
    COWPILEY said:
    This has strayed a bit from the original topic as advertiser ID reset had no effect for my club mate. He has verified that videos still work fine in TSB18 so I’m thinking this advertiser explanation is a pile. Sure hope the new version comes out soon and remedies the issue as we lost another Android user at the beginning of the year when Glu could not get his Keepers to work. 
    Sorry, that's the only answer I know of. This is also the first time I'm hearing it doesn't work for somebody. not sure what's going on, but I hope it gets fixed for him!
    @retirepujols The problem is that if you get banned, they won't tell you it's because of your advertising Id, they'll just ban you and be like nah we won't tell you why. They won't care about a screenshot.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited June 2019
    There's two options in iOS as far as Ad ID is concerned; one that will set the ID to non-unique all zeroes to limit ad tracking and when toggled off will regenerate a new ad ID.

The second option that can be changed and what I would think governs the hammer getting dropped would be to reset the advertising identifier, which removes all info on device stored/associated with your AppleID. This I believe is what permits people to do offers multiple times and is not what Tapjoy wants and you are bound not to do based on ToS.

Granted the terms are very similar but changing your ID while still having identifiable info about you and your device/AppleID is different than removing all that info forcing advertisers to have to learn all about you again.

Forgot to add, is there something like this in Android? Could your friend have removed all advertising info about him/her and their device and gotten themselves banned by Tapjoy?

Thanks. Claims he has not. No ads work...even the achievements or game boosts. I asked if he changed any privacy or advertising settings or had a phone OS update when this started. He is evidently one of the unlucky that didn’t get fixed by whatever they did two weekends ago when ads did not work. 
    I'm assuming he's also uninstalled and reinstalled the app as well? I wonder if playing on another device would work? This app update needs to get here 
    Been considering that. Can you just delete the app, reinstall and log in or does it need to be coordinated with Glu ?
  • LETMEPLAY16LETMEPLAY16 Registered Users, Member 31 Posts

They're not allowed to link your Ad ID to your user account, at least Android doesn't allow it. So if you get banned for resetting it, put a complaint in to Google play

They're not allowed to link your Ad ID to your user account, at least Android doesn't allow it. So if you get banned for resetting it, put a complaint in to Google play
    It would please me so much to take a legal stand against this company. Do you know where I could find something that prohibits Glu from linking my ad id to my account? I would seriously consider taking action against Glu if they were to ban me again if they were not legally allowed to link my ad ID.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    edited June 2019
    All I now is somehow I made it into the obscure demographic that includes live Asian chat rooms, housescapes, senior dating sites, colorfiy and housscapes again. 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Simply resetting the ad ID can't possibly be something they'd ban you from the game for. First off, that function exists for both Apple and Android. The game does not dictate how users use their phones. It isn't a feature that's directed solely for games, Tapjoy, TSB, the Loch Ness Monster or any other conspiracy- based theory posed often in here. You are the customer. It's your phone. They don't have control over how you use it if you're using it within the standard build of the device. 

That said, frequent resetting of the ad ID can be seen as a sign of third-party interference, or something else that's outside the terms of service in the game and is not included in the manufactured build of the game. This would be products that aren't authorized by Apple or Google, and are not approved and available in the Apple Store or Google Play. 

What we read above in the CS responses are blanket, general Cover All Issues template statements. 

Disagreeing with any of this based on one-off, anecdotal experiences doesn't change the fact the Reset Ad Tag feature is available on your phone without restriction. If the game doesn't like it, I'd suggest filing a complaint with Apple/Android because they are required to work with the latest version of your phone in order to be available in the respective store, because the manufacturer of your device allows you to have some control over the ads you view. That's not Glu's concern.

I think the ad resetting gets weird for offers (trying to complete one time offers repeatedly), not free gold videos. @COWPILEY I would make sure my account is linked and backed up, then contact cs about it just to make sure nothing fishy happens. 
    I think the ad resetting gets weird for offers (trying to complete one time offers repeatedly), not free gold videos. @COWPILEY I would make sure my account is linked and backed up, then contact cs about it just to make sure nothing fishy happens. 
    I've already ranted too much on this topic, but yes, this would affect ads, and the only reasonable issue is how Glu's partner, Tapjoy, has to track what users have completed what offers. Since I don't care about Tapjoy, I'm similarly disinterested in their problems. But the program connecting videos to our IDs is likely the same one used for the offers, I'm sure the offers can get messed up. 

Bottom line, not to be an a-hole, but if you aren't getting videos, it's something specific to you, not to any kind of restriction placed on all players by the game. I don't reset the ad tracker, but I toggle off the Limit Ad Tracking button, then turn it back on after hard-quitting the game (on iOS). Been playing videos for the last few hours now, and most of yesterday (after seeing a box as the top prize for WOH). Playing one now, in fact. Stupid Homescapes. 
    I hard-quit the game a lot yesterday ;-) That swipe before the “do you want to replay for x gold” message  feels good. 
    COWPILEY said:
    I hard-quit the game a lot yesterday ;-) That swipe before the “do you want to replay for x gold” message  feels good. 
    Not sure what you're on, but in iOS, hard-quit, go into Settings, then to Privacy, then Advertising. Click the Limit Ad Tracking button off. Re-open the game and try a video. If one doesn't play, hard-quit again and repeat the process, but turn the Limit Ad Tracking on (the tracker gets refreshed either way, and your history of ads shown might be what's preventing them from playing). Android works similarly. 

I can't say it isn't possible there are some who face some kind of restriction on the amount and frequency of the ads they watch. If there is, though, it's for proprietary/business reasons. It's not a violation of any sort of term of service to reset the ad tracker. 
    Thanks but this was about my club-mate on Android. ID reset did not work for him.  I’ve had no issues since they “fixed” it two weekends ago.