Marginal Upgrades.

Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
How do you handle marginal upgrades?  I’ve been mainly avoiding them, but it gets a little boring. I suppose it depends on your level. 

This is my example for the last two weekends. I think either one is better than Mondesi, but I don’t think the difference is enough to justify the resources. 

Prev1

Comments

• BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    It depends on how much XP you have, and how much you can have readily. 30K bxp for a player upgrade that good is worth it to someone who cycles woh 10 times, but it's not for the casual player.
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Polanco is definitely where it's at.
    Just no.  
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    I was a little concerned about his low power even though I do prefer hit to power. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Base15 said:
    How do you handle marginal upgrades?  I’ve been mainly avoiding them, but it gets a little boring. I suppose it depends on your level. 

This is my example for the last two weekends. I think either one is better than Mondesi, but I don’t think the difference is enough to justify the resources. 

An upgrade, and solid for woh, but the speed saps some of the hit goodness...

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    It depends on your current situation and resources. I actually have a similar dilemma with Mondesi and Lindor. Lindor is obviously the superior choice, but given that Mondesi is already capped at d10, I don't want to sink another 416k bxp(including skills) into a guy that's marginally better. I also pulled Polanco yesterday. I have no reason to level him because I don't need him for WoH and Lindor is better than him for CvC.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    I leveled Polanco since I could get the 30% discount and am only gold. It’s funny that with the discount it’s 98 gold. I’ll post a sticker on global for 4 gold so I can claim the 40k cash. Lol. 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    edited July 2019
    I pulled Polanco and he will be used mainly for Buehler or Odorizzi on Wednesday but he’s a 4th lefty after Heyward, Eaton and Choo. Ideally I’d want to carry 6 or 7 just to make those middle rounds on Royale day go smoothly as if I can get to 8 my top 3 usually don’t struggle.
    Speaking of marginal, I could use a little roster advice, too.  Which 2 of the bottom 4 would you keep, and which 2 would be pxp-bait, in a pinch?

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited July 2019
    Tdub71 said:
    Speaking of marginal, I could use a little roster advice, too.  Which 2 of the bottom 4 would you keep, and which 2 would be pxp-bait, in a pinch?

I would keep them all and toss the guys you're itching to level 😂 but knowing you, I would say Kelly (screw your rules) and lucchesi would be gone
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    For pitchers I always go off of stuff rating. But if you have had them play enough games to get a good feel, look at the ERA
    Lucchesi has really low stuff. I turned him into PXP immediately. 
  • Scioscia_FanScioscia_Fan Registered Users, Member 266 Posts
    Base15 said:
    I’ll post a sticker on global for 4 gold so I can claim the 40k cash. Lol. 
    40k cash for posting a sticker? Some new achievement I'm unaware of?
  • UltimateWarriorUltimateWarrior Registered Users, Member 543 Posts
    If I was you since you’ve dedicated that much resources to your pitchers in PXP I wouldn’t trade them in. For one, Your not going to get as much in return and second they will still be useful for awhile. Think about this the best bxp pitcher is max 350 and you see how slow Glu are bringing up maxes, it will be a few months until I would consider trading them in a pinch. If you had to trade one in, it would have to be Joey. I always go by best stuff,Arm, then Control @Tdub71
    Kelly is only there for club points.  

I will only use 2 of the 223 overalls at a time, because I have 400-max Scherzer, 400-max Beiber, and 390-max deGromm, as my 1-3...
    I wouldn't trade any of them, unless I got desperate for the pxp.

I was leaning toward Happ and Syndergaard, but that would make Happ my only lefty (and only 1 lefty in the bullpen).  Didn't know if anyone though that might make a difference.
    @Tdub71 You trying to decide who to keep reminds me of Glu thinking we would like 12 3B's on our roster with a negligible difference between them all 😂
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Love me a switch hitter. Skills could be better tho. 
    40k cash for posting a sticker? Som new achievement I'm unaware of?
    The first level of fan rewards is 40k cash for 100 gold. I’ve spent 98. It costs 4 to post on global. I’m not really going to it. 
    @Base15 , why not?  That is 8 CVC autoplays. 
    I’m going to get to 100. Just not by posting a sticker. I’m never posting a sticker. Probably gonna max that Marte. Still think about it. 
    Base15 said:
    I’m never posting a sticker. 

I have been seriously considering spamming @retirepujols with all my stickers.  However, I am afraid the consequences could be dire...
    To paraphrase The Princess Bride, yet again:

"Hello.  My name is Retirepujols.  You sent me a sticker.  Prepare to die."
    Tdub71 said:
    I have been seriously considering spamming @retirepujols with all my stickers.  However, I am afraid the consequences could be dire...
    On the contrary. Just this morning, @retirepujols  was telling me how much he regretted missing out on the “cool story bro” sticker special.  Gotta say though, he LOVES stickers. 
    🤔
    This is false information, I have that sticker. 
    edited July 2019
    Deleted. Wrong gif.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Thanks thanks for the warning
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    I was chasing Polanco, only because I still had story as my SS, and I didn't take prime Baez with me to gold. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    I wouldn't trade any of them, unless I got desperate for the pxp.

I was leaning toward Happ and Syndergaard, but that would make Happ my only lefty (and only 1 lefty in the bullpen).  Didn't know if anyone though that might make a difference.
    Personally I prefer the RHB pitching skill to LHB. I feel like those pitchers have more success and the stats should be there to prove it. Not sure why exactly other than there are more RHB in game than left. So I would look at Mikolas and Thor as keepers if the stats are there. Mikolas is a little different though with that sub-200 arm and high control so who knows.
    @dustyhunks, I look at high-control SP the same way I look at high-speed hitters.  I think most of us do.  

I have not been worrying about pitcher skills so far, but I guess it is time, since they may all be with me for a while (except late-inning, I LOVE that skill, across the board).

I guess the real question (though I just really realized it) would be if having the 2nd lefty (Luchessi) might be worth benching one of the righties (Syndergaard or Mikolas).

Stats on the righties are similar enough, so Syndergaard would probably be the choice between those two.  Sample sizes are about the same.